PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My, my! Things are getting a bit testy, aren't they? It's all just a stage of the pendulum swing. For years people would crow about their Dunhill pipes and how they were the best pipes ever made and a bargain at the price and they were rolled on the smooth thighs...

Okay, maybe not rolled on the smooth thighs, but you get my point.

People got fed up with being told that anything that wasn't a Dunhill was second rate. So the pendulum is swinging into "people who love Dunhills are chowder heads" territory. It will swing back. That's just humans being humans.

Dunhill made some of the finest pipes in the history of pipes in a combination of British and Gallic style unique to them.

Others made, and make, pipes every bit a good. I smoked Dunhills and occasionally still do, I just moved on to other makes, like Barling, that suited me more.

Had it not been for the company's myth making and the obnoxious behavior that some of its clientele engaged in as a by-product, this thread wouldn't exist.

In any case, Dunhill made a good pipe, as good as any, for more money than some, and less than others. When all is said and done, it's a tobacco pipe, not an accomplishment.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just to add some new aspect, I submit there are Dunhill pipes in the wild with an ivory insert.

Before the tribe gets too geared up, I am not saying they were ever manufactured with an ivory dot. Some were done in private hands. My Grandfather said his was, but I did not receive the pipe on his death. Who knows?
That seems perfectly plausible.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
Sure, tell that to everyone who's bought one! You cannot damn everyone who's bought a Dunhill and enjoyed it very much, regardless of how much they paid!

I’m certainly not condemning anyone who has bought a Dunhill, certainly not the vintage ones (when all was sweet in the world). To each his own of course. I’m merely stating that from my point of view Dunhill / The White Spot is overcharging. I’d rather spent my money on a pipe made by a genuine artisan instead of a semi-factory pipe, which caters on a long gone history.