PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grampz

Lurker
Feb 11, 2022
Title edited. Rule 9

"no such thing as a dumb question"
Some of us (well, me, anyway) could take that as a personal challenge.

Scrolling through threads, I've seen several references to 'white dot' on a pipe. What's that about?

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The white dot is the established logo of the Dunhill/White Spot pipes, which are high-end, high priced factory pipes made in London. Actually, I've seen other brands with a white spot, but they are clearly labeled as a different unrelated brand, so it is not a deception.

Grampz

Lurker
Feb 11, 2022
The white dot is the established logo of the Dunhill/White Spot pipes, which are high-end, high priced factory pipes made in London. Actually, I've seen other brands with a white spot, but they are clearly labeled as a different unrelated brand, so it is not a deception.
OK, so it's brand-specific; thought it might be something broader in scope.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What I heard on some documentary is that it is used for identifying the side of the moutpiece that is supposed to face up, so it is orientated correctly.
Correct. Evidently Dunhill considered their customers so addlepated that they needed to be shown how to orientate a stem.

BTW, Dunhill was not the first maker to use a single dot. Vauen was there before them.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Vauen was the ORIGINAL white Spot pipe. Dunhill, sometime in the early 1900’s-1910’s trademarked the White Spot. Legal battle ensued; and Vauen was awarded White Spot rights within Germany, whilst Dunhill was awarded rights outside of Germany.
Vauen utilizes a yellow dot for US market; but with EBay and various online vendors, you can procure a Vauen White Dor in the US.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Without meaning to reignite the infamous ivory v. cellulite controversy or the black dot v. tar saturated cellulite thing … one thing that I actually have found is that the damn dot stays put just about forever. Yes, I know, they can fall out, I just don’t see it very often. One of my pet peeves is a nice looking stem logo that gets buffed out super easily or is lightly etched in the stem. Mastro de Paja brass logos and the white Dunhill spots just keep on keeping on. For decades. I’ve got a lot of nice pipes that the logos just aren’t what they used to be. Slightly annoying because I take excellent care of my pipes and don’t buff them to death so it sucks when the logos turn into ghosts along the way. Grrrr. Still, it’s a fairly minor thing. I’m gonna be pissed if my white spots all fall out now that I’ve jinxed myself. ?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Means about an extra $400 in cost but at least you’re able to put the stem on right side up more often than not.
I had a pipe that I had to put a mark on the stem to indicate which side up. After a while My tooth marks were very perfect and very deep (why I don't do vulcanite), and didn't fit my teeth the other way around.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I had a pipe that I had to put a mark on the stem to indicate which side up. After a while My tooth marks were very perfect and very deep (why I don't do vulcanite), and didn't fit my teeth the other way around.
I believe what you are referring to is the infamous didimauw “bite spot” which does sound similar to “white spot”. ????