PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
The white dot could possibly be the most successful branding strategy in the history of pipes...
It really is, consider the time it was made too. It is simple, instantly recognisable, a marketer’s wet dream. I don’t often cross paths with marketing/branding in my line of work, but when I do I’ve got to have respect for these people, and graphic designers/visual artists, because they take my work which is often dry and scientific and make it sellable.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
It really is, consider the time it was made too. It is simple, instantly recognisable, a marketer’s wet dream. I don’t often cross paths with marketing/branding in my line of work, but when I do I’ve got to have respect for these people, and graphic designers/visual artists, because they take my work which is often dry and scientific and make it sellable.
I really appreciate you appreciating them. Back in the '70's truckers were bragging that if they didn't haul it nothing would arrive. A salesman friend , at the time, said if a salesperson didn't sell it, the trucks would be empty. As a famous person once said, "it takes a village".

Reactions: karam and Grampz

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Agree the white dot is brilliant marketing. But you have to have a good product for the brand to mean something. Castello was brilliant to replace the dot with a dash!

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Agree the white dot is brilliant marketing. But you have to have a good product for the brand to mean something. Castello was brilliant to replace the dot with a dash!
Of course!
Then again, some years ago we watched a documentary about a fake, non-existent restaurant in the UK that made it to the top of the restaurants’ list without ever serving a meal, all through instagram and fake followers. A sign of our times.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Talking of fakes:
A friend working in HK bought an Apple I-Pad in China
It stopped working some time after when he was back in HK, so he took it to the Apple Store.
He told them he'd bought it in an Apple Store China, only to be told that Apple DID NOT have a store in that city.
They had faked an entire Apple Store !:rolleyes:bdwrotf

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
He told them he'd bought it in an Apple Store China, only to be told that Apple DID NOT have a store in that city.
They had faked an entire Apple Store !:rolleyes:bdwrotf

Correction: Apple has dozens of authentic stores in China. The locations are listed on the company’s website. But fake Apple stores in China are a real thing too.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and OzPiper

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
Correct. Evidently Dunhill considered their customers so addlepated that they needed to be shown how to orientate a stem.

BTW, Dunhill was not the first maker to use a single dot. Vauen was there before them.

Yep my new Vauen Caro has a white dot on it also. On their website it specifies this model as "white dot quality"
Screenshot_20220213-231344_Chrome.jpg
20220209_141337.jpg
I'm not sure if my other Vauen's have the white dot or not but I don't think they do.