Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
The white dot is the established logo of the Dunhill/White Spot pipes, which are high-end, high priced factory pipes made in London. Actually, I've seen other brands with a white spot, but they are clearly labeled as a different unrelated brand, so it is not a deception.
Dunhill trademarked identification for their pipes.
Sasieni followed suit but had to change to a blue dot after Dunhill took them to court.
Correct. Evidently Dunhill considered their customers so addlepated that they needed to be shown how to orientate a stem.

BTW, Dunhill was not the first maker to use a single dot. Vauen was there before them.

As usual on this forum, you can get the right information. However, this is only part of the story. When you have a white dot on your pipe, it means you purchased something very special. As near perfect a pipe as you can purchase. It means you've purchased the Rolls Royce or smoking instruments. Properly dried, drilled, engineered and finished to be the most perfect smoking instrument you can buy. Something that shows off your good taste and status that has been the bench mark of quality for over 100 years. That is if you like them. For many it's just an overpriced pipe. A good pipe is a good pipe at any price and you can find them for $30 or $30,000.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just to add some new aspect, I submit there are Dunhill pipes in the wild with an ivory insert.

Before the tribe gets too geared up, I am not saying they were ever manufactured with an ivory dot. Some were done in private hands. My Grandfather said his was, but I did not receive the pipe on his death. Who knows?

Reactions: kcghost

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Could mean a very expensive pipe (ala Dunhill) or a very not expensive pipe (ala Willard). Make sure you know what you are buying if you see a dot. Good luck!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Mar 1, 2014
I had a pipe that I had to put a mark on the stem to indicate which side up. After a while My tooth marks were very perfect and very deep (why I don't do vulcanite), and didn't fit my teeth the other way around.
Come to think of it, for straight stemmed pipes it would be a sign of extremely high quality if the stem were flush when fitted upside down.
Kind of like the upgrade from USB2 to USB-C, everyone hates guessing which way is right side up, if you make it perfectly symmetrical that solves the problem without demanding attention from the user.

If I were to buy such a pipe my OCD would still demand there be a permanent "Up" side though, and I would inevitably mark the stem.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I have several early artisan pipe with gold and silver dots that are now deceased. I wish that I asked them the reason. I suspect they considered thier creations better than Dunhill or maybe just busting ass!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I have several early artisan pipe with gold and silver dots that are now deceased. I wish that I asked them the reason. I suspect they considered thier creations better than Dunhill or maybe just busting ass!
Added, attended pipe club meet last night where most smoke early artisan made pipes. If I waved a white dot Dunny in thier face, they would considered me a big dummy.

Reactions: MacMarty89

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Added, attended pipe club meet last night where most smoke early artisan made pipes. If I waved a white dot Dunny in thier face, they would considered me a big dummy.
If they would actually consider you to be cognitively impaired or foolish for smoking a Dunhill, then you are smoking with the wrong people. They sound like pricks.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
A white dot on a pipe means overpaying for a pipe.

Dunhill is overrated.
I tend to agree(I would NEVER spend over 150 dollars on a pipe!). However, in the final analysis, it's up to the individual smoker to decide what "overpaying" means. People always tell me I spent too much on my car('70 Olds Toronado) ~ but I would have spent even more to get it!