PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
For a few years, I've been using an Old Boy and really enjoy it. Lately, I took

stock of all the wooden matches that are around here - you know, the stuff you accumulate from shops and internet orders. Being a frugal sort, I started using the match at home, and saving the Old Boy for the truck. There's a difference that I'm

starting to notice. In a recent thread, on another Forum, the point was made that the

match burns around 200 deg, while the butane Pipe lighter burns around 600 deg.

This makes the tobacco taste differently. OK, so it's not a night and day type of difference, but it's there. Even using the Old Boy for the initial light only, sets

up a different set of volatiles in the rest of the Pipe's load, as tobacco absorbs like a sponge. The result has been, for me at least, to reach for the wooden match more often than the Old Boy, but I still prefer the Old Boy when I need to do a quick relight in the truck. At first, I was a bit skeptical, but I'm starting to notice a bit of difference in the flavors of the smoke, and I'm using up these matches that have been laying around for a few years.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I agree Fred,

There is a difference between the flavor of the tobacco when lighting with a match than there is with a butane lighter.

I am also, an advocate for slowing down and the "there are too many conveniences today" attitude.

If for no other reason, than slowing down, use a couple of matches.

I don't consider myself a hypocrite but, I use cheap butanes when everywhere but my easy chair.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, Pstlpkr it's difficult to sacrifice the convenience of using a butane lighter in public... Matches are great, but using them all of the time can be a trial, as they do take a little longer to use & start to pile up in the ashtray.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I've only ever used a BIC lighter. I can't trust myself with my house key...why would I even chance a nice lighter.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
the thunderbird insert for a zippo is made by kgm vector. it works great but drop it in a never used zipo body.
btw, their web sit is www.vectorkgm.com
i use the insert AND my old zippo both.

cobsandclays

Lurker
Mar 2, 2010
Someone above asked about flint and steel- I've done it, but it's sort of a pain. You have to set your char on something that will let you move it to the pipe fairly quickly, and then it's not a 100% guarantee that it'll light. So it's almost stressful trying to do it (for me, that is. I'm sure there's someone who gets it to work the first time, every time and then can smoke his pipe down to fine ash without having to relight ;) ). Alternately you can use the char to start a fire and then light your pipe with an ember while you're waiting to warm up, or for your meal to cook.

I used to use strike anywhere matches, but they're getting hard to find, so I've stashed those away and started using the strike on box matches. I have a pipe zippo and it's convenient when it has fluid :) but being able to put the flame just above the tobacco with a match makes them my go-to 'baccy lighting method.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I need to revive this thread. Back when it originally appeared, I responded with one word, BIC. Recently, an old friend who said he couldn't stand seeing me use a plastic Bic with my beautiful briars, gave me an 'im corona' pipe lighter. OMG. I hereby change my answer. This thing is a work of art that brings a new touch of class to the pipe smoking experience. If you've already invested in a fine pipe collection, consider a lighter worthy of that collection. Life can always be improved.

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Very new pipe smoker here (1 month) and I am currently using a Zippo Jack Daniel's pipe lighter ... My bday is around the corner and I'm thinking of treating myself with an Old Boy, but we'll see how that goes :) .

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
It depends really, i use Matches at home or a zippo when I am on the move.
I like matches when I'm am in doors, but the zippo is needed if there is a breeze about!

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
Ive tried the Zippo made for a pipe and just didnt like the taste.Then the cheap butanes,their flames just werent consistant.After that I tried the imitation Old Boys but I was afraid of loosing them so now I use the good old match box.Theres no taste if you wait a second after striking it,they take up little room in my pockets and I really dont care about loosing them.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
Sirbogglesworth:

A company called Xikar makes an 'old boy' knock off in it's Pipeline series of lighters. For about half the price, this is a truly beautiful and high quality instrument (with a lifetime guarantee). Check it out online. Maybe you don't need to wait for your birthday after all. Oh, and welcome to the community.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I have a 2 nibo pipe lighters (IM Corona pipes lighter knock - off) that I use at the house and I have a Nimrod Commander (think of a zipo pipe lighter, but this was made before zippo was a company) that I use out and about!

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I've got to agree on the Xikar pipe lighter... they work great and cost a fraction of what other high-end lighters will run you. I also have several jeep lighters strategically placed just in case I need a backup!

Status
Not open for further replies.