PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Do you? :) It is a nifty lighter. I needed a cup for coffee, looked at the kitchen table and was ashamed cause it had several matches in it.. I then decided I needed to clean up the lighting act, lol. I wont be taking it to work, seems when guys notice you carry a lighter, they always go to you when they need flame, like lighting a propane torch etc. This is for Pipes only!

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
My first lighter was a normal zippo when I smoked cigars. Then I got a Colibri that I've used consistently since I started pipe smoking. I've experimented with rimrod lighter. It's one of those rimrods with the wheel and lighter portion in the center of a tube.
Recently, I bought a Vector pipe/cigar lighter. It has a normal flame for the pipe lighter and then there's a torch lighter built in with a cigar punch on the bottom.
Matches are used every now and then, but I tend to like my lighters better.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
That video, with the reference to the article on the Thermodynamics, is neat, but I blieve there's a real flaw in that guy's match lighting technique. You'll notice that he holds the lit match to his tobacco immediately after striking. That means that he's sucking in smoke from the still-burning match head. I always hold the burning match, sheltered by my hand, for a couple seconds to allow all the sulfur and whatever else is in the head to burn away before drawing the flame down into the tobacco. And, for the record, I've been using plain old book matches. I always have a couple of books in my pockets and it's not uncommon to use half a dozen in the course of smoking a bowl. They take a little more technique than wooden matches, but once you get the hang of it they work really well. I use the matchbook as well as my hand to make an effective windscreen, always with my hand upwind to the match. There's no sulfurous flavor imparted to the tobacco and when you're finished smoking you only have a small amount of litter to dispose of.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have one of the cylindrical Nimrod lighters that isn't too bad. It seems to be a bit light in the volume department as far as holding fluid.

May 4, 2015
My first Xikar lighter - I despised. Took it back on the warranty and got the newer model for no charge and it's worlds better. Have to love a good warranty and a company that will make right on it!
It's now a backup to my Peterson Old Boy, which is a backup to BICs ;)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm glad to see that that this thread was not only started seven years ago, but that the OP corrected himself almost immediately. I was tempted to respond, "Not a God damned English book, that's for sure".
I use wooden matches.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I'm glad to see that that this thread was not only started seven years ago, but that the OP corrected himself almost immediately. I was tempted to respond, "Not a God damned English book, that's for sure".
Yep, I sure wish dunedain was still active on here.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Anything with a flame. I use matches, Bics, Zippo, Colibri pipe lighter, and Xikar pipe lighter. Like I said, anything with a flame, lol.
OK, here's a quote from seven years ago, and Bob is back posting today! Great to see returnees.
I use all the above, though my Zippo is semi-retired. Plus two Old Boy knock offs, and recently I got the real thing. I guess I have LAD!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I use bees waxed hemp wick after lighting it with a bic, or whatever.

I buy spools of the stuff. I wrap it around a piece of bamboo, about 5yds at a time, after running it through clenched needle nosed vise grips to strip excess wax.

I then put it in a re purposed Phillips probiotic bottle with a hole in the cap.

This lasts about a week of constant lights and relights.

No addition to the ash tray, cool soft lights, lingering if need be.

That is one heck of an Xikar endorsement, though!

f5rd2hy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2017
NV
I've been using matches. And I got a couple bics for windy days, and haven't used them yet.
I have a boneyard of butane lighters that stopped working from my cigar heydays. I probably messed them up. Only recently found out (xikar video) that you don't want to shake the butane can before filling as that mixes the propellant and the butane. doh! Bought a real deal IM Coronoa the other week, received it, filled it, lighted it - returned it for a refund and bought more tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.