PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
My Zippo has served me well for 40 years. I own and collect antique lighters but nothing does it like my Zippo. Matches don't work outdoors in Texas, they get mushy in our humidity and if there is any breeze, they are pain.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I overheard my wife ordering an Old Boy since the Peterson Zippo was such a disaster... So soon we shall see how that works out.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Igloo, you need to build a raft and get off that desert island you are stranded on. :lol:

groundsar

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2010
I prefer matches for the initial lighting and fall back to Zippo with pipe insert usually for any neccesary relights

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
bic's, bic's everywhere, funny thing my grandson told me one day if you don't have a bic, you an't got nothing.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Getting tired of matches.. I'm breaking down and looking into what pipe lighter I'll get.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I was going thru a box of junk I bought on craigslist, and found a crushed beyond all recognition zippo lighter, I know they have a crazy good warranty, but how crazy good? think they'll fix this Zippo stamped ball of metal?

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Around the house, I have several "antique" cafe match strikers filled with Diamond kitchen matches (strike anywhere).
I gave up on matches while driving after catching my pants on fire. Well, it was the dried cow manure dust on my pants that the broken match head set. It flashed and was out in a second before it could catch anything vital, but I decided I needed a one-hand lighter while driving. I lost my favorite pipe lighter... a Japanese made "Prince" that was shaped like a tamper and had a mini Old Boy fitment on top.
Now, in the car I use a Ill Corona Pipe Magie with a 90-degree flame. I really like it and it doesn't have knobs, etc. to hang up on your pocket like the Old Boy. Here's a picture:
http://www.lightersdirect.com/images//imcorona/PipeMagie/IM0043.jpg
I don't want to sound like a snob, but neither do I want to look like a Bic Bozo holding it upside down with that trigger down while burning my thumb in attempting to get a good light. :laughat:

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I'm surprised that no one has brought up "permanent matches", vestas (I guess they are sorta like matches...), trench-lighters, and simply dropping a burning coal in your bowl (although I will admit this last method seems like a good way to destroy nice briar).

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I use a Bic, but also enjoy lighting shavings of wood from my workshop to light my pipe. I grab one that is long enough to get down to the tobacco at the bottom of the bowl.

Winton

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Zippo pipe lighter.l I could start a museum with hte lighters I've bought over the past 40 years. The Zippo is consistant and reliable. Cheap to buy and cheap to run and even more important, still in business.

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
I have a Xikar Pipeline lighter. Its patterned after the old boy. Lights everytime i strike it and I only have to refill it about every 2 weeks. The lifetime warranty rocks to.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
An interesting bit of history on the 'old boy' pipe lighter...Following the first world war, many military men returned from battle with missing fingers, hands and arms. The Dunhill Company in England came up with a design that could be operated and maintained with only the thumb and a single finger of one hand to accommodate these young Britts. Hence the Old Boy was born.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
119195921_1-150x112.jpg

119195921_4-150x112.jpg

Used my new lighter I won at auction today for the first time, so far I am highly satisfied, no more used match accumulation. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.