ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
I use Coal from the fire
48300d1256300727-pipe-smoking-photos-pipe-lighter.jpg

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I have a brushed steel Zippo. I really like it and don't seem to notice the naptha taste that others do, though I usually let it burn a second or two before the flame hits the bowl.
I also have a cheap IMCO butane pipe lighter with a 45 degree angled flame. I've had it for about four years and it's been worth the money.
The next two lighters I'd really like to have are a Nimrod/Sportsman like my dad used to use and an IM Corona Old Boy. I think if I had a Corona lighter, the first time I used it I could finally say to myself, "I have arrived.".

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Berkley-Life-10-27-1947-100.jpg

I hope this came thru this is what I use. It has the coolest place for an extra flint. The screw you take uot to fill the lghter is double ended, you unscrew the oppiste end of the refill screw and out slides an extra flint. I left my camera at work, maybe I'll post some pic's when I pick up my camera.
(Fixed Photo - Bob)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
At home I always use strike-on-box matches. But I was looking for a butane lighter for use away from home; so, in a forum topic last month I solicited recommendations from site members. I ended up purchasing a Lotus 11 based on skymuscle83 's recommendation. I think it is an extremely convenient right-angle, soft flame, butane lighter. Very satisfied. But durability counts too, so I'll keep folks posted on that.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I normally use kitchen matches, I wish I could find one of the old metal match boxes to carry them in, I haven't seen one in years

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
phil said
At least with my Zippo, I know it’s full... The fluid drips out of it... (I’ve had my hand I fire once or twice...)

I heard that it won't leak if you seal the inner cartridge by smearing some vaseline or other petroleum jelly on it. You probably have some leftover K-Y Jelly from those virgin pipes you hated breaking-in. :)

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
MY only complaint with butane lighters is... I have a hard time filling them... for some reason, they don’t like me or I’m doing something wrong... It’s probably the last because it’s all the butane lighters’ I’ve had...
I used to have the same problem until I'd read somewhere that I needed to depress the valve and let the air out before refilling and then giving the lighter a few minutes to reach room temperature before striking. I don't know how important the second part of that is, but I follow it.
For whatever reason, the cheap IMCO lighter I have doesn't require any of those steps.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
The thing I learned about a butane is: Turn the can upside down. Heep it straight, give it a push, and it fills in about 1 second. Just form a good seal, otherwise the gas will escape from the lighter.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I bought some kitchen matches, and I must say that I really like them, but at the end of the day, I had enough wood to build a tree house. I pack tight, so I have many relights.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for the pics Phil, I will keep an eye out at yard sales and flea markets may be I can find an old one, I expect they are collectable and pricey on ebay or maybe I will try my hand tin smithing, he, he may be a new occupation

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Cheap Bic lighters , though i am checking with a shop not far away that gives away inexpensive Angle type lighters with tobacco sales.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I use a disposable lighters, jeep, bic, etc, or matches. I have 4 very good cigar torch lighters, so I just can't bring myself to buy a good pipe lighter until I sell or trade a cigar lighter first.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Phil for godsake don't Richard prior yourself.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. My Thunderbird butane zippo style pipe lighter is so far the best $15 I've spent. I ran across anothe forgotten zippo I have so I may buy the insert and have 2. The inserts are only like 10 bucks or something.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Two Colibri touch lighters... one is a double and the other a triple flame, but I don't want a Zippo. If you're real nice and stop by as you pass through Ohio with a nice bottle of Single Malt Scotch I may just give you one but the scotch stays when you leave... LOL
How’s the Grad festivities coming along?

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I like bics. They are cheap and you don't have to worry if it gets destroyed, lost, or something else unforseeable.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
When I smoke inside I have an old corona old boy that was my grandpa's. For outside and everyday use I have a zippo pipe lighter or just a bic. Most the time I'm outside so matches don't really cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.