PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
IMCoronaOldBoy.jpg
___ At home I use stick matches almost exclusively; but they're impractical when I'm out of the house. Does anyone have experience with the IM Corona Old Boy lighter? Do you have a recommendation?

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I have to admit that I have been mostly using cheap plastic lighters.
Back when I smoked cigars, I used to buy expensive, fancy lighters and every one of them broke.
I have been wanting to get a proper pipe lighter though. One where the flame is pointed down into the bowl.
Maybe some others here can enlighten both of us.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I have never had an Old Boy lighter, but a lot of pipers swear by them. I just could never bring myself to spend $100+ on a lighter.
I do own a Zippo lighter with a pipe insert, a Colibri pipe lighter, and a Xikar Resource pipe lighter that I just got about a 2 months ago.
The Colibri has a flint and wheel and works decently, but it takes a few strikes to get it lit sometimes. Because it has a problem lighting sometimes, I never use it outdoors because I would be striking it all of the time when the wind blows it out.
The Xikar has an electric ignition and works pretty good so far. Most of the time it lights on the first or second time.
The Zippo is the most reliable and most economic of them all. It always lights on the first strike and it is pretty wind resistant.
There are a lot of people who say that Zippo lighters are not good to use because it uses liquid fluid instead of butane and it can impart a fluid taste to the tobacco, but I have never had any problems with that. I never taste any of the fluid in my tobacco. When I light my Zippo, I let it burn for a few seconds before lighting my pipe to let any excess fluid and fumes burn off.
Another thing that I like about the Zippo is; the pipe insert has the holes in the side and you place the lighter directly over the chamber of the pipe. With the holes being on the side, there is no danger of burning the rim. Also, when you light your pipe using a Zippo, you are drawing the flame down into the tobacco which is the correct way of lighting the tobacco instead of the flame going directly into the bowl and sitting on the tobacco.
So in summary I have never used an Old Boy so I can not comment on them (sorry). But I do use the other lighters that I listed quite frequently. When I am at home, I use all 3. When I'm out, I use the Xikar and the Zippo. So in terms of usage I will list my lighters in order from most used to less used.
Zippo

Xikar

Colibri
Always use soft flame lighters on your pipes. Torch lighters can damage your pipes very badly.
P.S. On a side note on what Kevin said about cigar lighters. I have had problems with every cigar torch lighter that I have bought as well. I guess the holes for the fluid on a torch lighter must be smaller than a soft flame lighter because I always have problems with every torch lighter that I have bought.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
side_kick.jpg
___ I have been using these $2.00 "Side-kick" lighters because they put out a soft butane flame, and the nozzle swivels thru almost 90°. Plus, they're refillable. The downside is the piezoelectric clicker fails before I can get thru 3 or 4 refills. At $2.00 I guess it's still not a bad deal. Pipesandcigars.com is selling the Old Boy for $79, so that buys about 40 Side-Kicks.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I forgot to mention that I use Bic lighters quite a bit as well.
Larry, I used to use those Side-Kick lighters all of the time. The ones that I bought were not refillable and I think I was buying them for like $1.25 each. They are great lighters that are really cheap and lasted a while. Too bad that the place that I was buying them from no longer carries them.

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
I'm a fan of lighters with a right-angle candle flame. The problem is finding one that's reliable. The reason I like such lighters is because the soft candle flame permits the greatest control in lighting up the way you want to, rather than adjusting your lighting style to the technology.
Though I usually use cheap plastic Bic lighters, I don't consider them the best pipe lighters for this reason. Bic lighters are probably your best bet because they're so ubiquitous, reliable and cheap. However, most of them lack a flame adjustment, and the flame comes out a bit too strong, which risks charring the briar and forces adjustments to the way you touch the fire to the leafs and draw the flame.
I've never used the Corona Old Boy, but I have one practically identical in style and function. I like the flame, but I find the flint aggravating: the sparking flywheel usually requires far more pressure than a simple thumb flick, the flints wear down quickly (and it's tricky even assessing this), replacing flints is a pain, and flint replacements are shockingly exorbitant (at least in Canada: $5 for a simple little flint!). The flywheel that adjusts the flame length is very nice, but it doesn't make up for its detriments to me. Every so often I'll take it out and try to make a go of it, but it soon ends up a frustrating experience, which defeats the whole point of using lighters as a convenience.
I recently purchased a Xikar Resource Pipe Lighter. (I wanted the Vector Colt but I couldn't find it anywhere I intended to shop, so I settled for the Xikar.) It comes with a built-in tamper/poker/knife tool that's pretty crappy but would do in a pinch if you forget your regular tamper. It has an adjustable flame, but it's not a simple flywheel which makes it a pain to adjust, which is its biggest design drawback. It also won't light in the cold fresh air of a Canadian winter. Indeed, it's generally a bit temperamental and requires a certain touch to guarantee the spark will catch.
But I definitely favor electric lighters like this over flints like the Old Boy anyday.
After saying all this, matches are still probably the best light, even though it requires two hands and has other inconveniences.
Personally, I like the convenience of a lighter, and even though I haven't yet found the perfect one, the electric one will suffice just fine for me for now.
Whatever you use, though, I agree with Bob -- always use soft flame lighters on your pipes (unless you have mastered the Frank method, grasshopper).

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Good post ST!
I agree with your assessment of the Xikar Resource lighter. The flame adjustment is a big pain in the butt and the tamper that is built is sucks. It is so tiny that it is almost useless.
I think that they made the flame adjustment on it difficult because in the directions and everything that I read from Xikar on that lighter, they keep pushing buying the Xikar mutli-tool to adjust the flame. They say it fits the adjuster perfectly. But I refuse to buy a $40.00+ tool just to adjust the flame on my lighter.
As far as not lighting in cold air; I find that that is the biggest drawback on all butane lighters. The butane gets too cold and turns into a liquid.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Bob,

The refillable SideKicks are available from Iwan Ries. As I was reading your post about the Zippo's, something came to mind that you might like to know. Somewhere online I read that you can prevent leaks by putting a film of Vaseline or similar greasy stuff on the surface of the cartridge (or whatever the inner case is called.)
sinistertopiary,

The Xikar's look pretty nice. I read something good about them, but I don't think it was the "Resource". I'm going to have to retrace my steps to locate the blurb I read.

circuitjerker

Lurker
Dec 29, 2009
Hey all. Thanks for the welcome on the other thread and hello to those im just meeting. Im for the matches but cluttering and inconvenient compared to the lighter. My mentor uses an "IM Corona" , classy lil thing , and he swears by it . I'm a newbie, still yet, in the pipe smokers world and cant come to paying $100 + for a lighter let alone a pipe . So i went cheap and bout a JOBON . Its a combo torch and soft flame . Picked it up at a B&M for $20 . Then noticed them online for about $10 ..lol Go figure . But its been pretty trusty . Ive refilled it about 5 times now . The only trick is not to let it run out completely .. they seem to be less reliable when depleted .. maybe its just me ..dunno ?. I was looking at the "JOBON" line the other day and now some come with the tamper tucked inside like many high-end lighters.. if this one serves me well I"ll definitely stay in this market. .. If you do look at one of these , just disregard the torch feature ..Not at all good for the pipe.. Enjoy yourselves,

BDS

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
I think that they made the flame adjustment on it difficult because in the directions and everything that I read from Xikar on that lighter, they keep pushing buying the Xikar mutli-tool to adjust the flame. They say it fits the adjuster perfectly. But I refuse to buy a $40.00+ tool just to adjust the flame on my lighter.
I didn't know they expected you to purchase such a tool. No way I'm going to fork over $40 bucks for that. I find that the spoon on my czech 3-tool tamper works just fine to adjust the flame. Maybe I'll try ripping the flywheel off my flint lighter and see if it works on the Xikar.
As far as not lighting in cold air; I find that that is the biggest drawback on all butane lighters. The butane gets too cold and turns into a liquid.
Is that the reason it won't light when it's -15C? I didn't know that. Thanks!

skymuscle83

Lurker
Dec 15, 2009
I bought both the Lotus 11 Series "Gaucho" Lighter - Pipe and the Lotus 25 Series "Double Down" Traditional Flame Lighter and I FREAKING LOVE both of them. I've used zippo and they are good but since buying both of these lighters they are amazing. plus the Gaucho comes with a tamper in which isn't great but it's not bad. But I've used the S.T. Dupont, davidoff, and the IM Corona and I'd take both my Lotus any day of the week.

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
bought both the Lotus 11 Series "Gaucho" Lighter - Pipe and the Lotus 25 Series "Double Down" Traditional Flame Lighter

Both of those look like excellent lighters! Wish they sold those where I got the Xikar.
I know which lighters I'll get next time I shop for one. Thx for pointing them out.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
sinistertopiary,

XikarPipeline.jpg
__ This is the Xikar lighter that I remember being touted online by a dealer who said he wouldn't sell anything else. It's called the Xikar Pipeline and goes for about $50.00, so we're starting to get a little pricey. To me it looks like a rip-off of the IM Corona; I wonder if the seals and innards would hold up as well as the Old Boy, which has a lifetime warranty. Thanks for mentioning the Xikar brand -- it jogged my memory.

Now, the Jobon and the Lotus 25 look pretty nifty too!

skymuscle83

Lurker
Dec 15, 2009
Well I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to steer anyone away from a massive expensive lighter but the Lotus for me and like I said I've used the wayyy expensive ones before, just is an outstanding lighters. A friend of mines grandpa is like a millionaire and he has like 8 of those Old boy ones. He tried my Lotus 25 and just loves it! Glad sinistertopiary and cortezattic you guys are thinking about them. In my opinion are a great long lasting lighter!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've already decided to put the Lotus 11 on my next order with PipesandCigars.com; but that will be a while because I'm still flush with tobacco. Thanks sinistertopiary, because I never would have known about them if you hadn't spoken-up. If anyone else has alternatives to suggest, I, for one, would be interested in your opinions and recommendations.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
mark me down for the old boy, when i'm out of the house and disposing of spent matches isn't socially acceptable. it was a admittedly a over the top expenditure five or six years ago and my experience is that the lighter is bomb-proof. i have heard the newer models are even more reliable and if you do happen to have problems, their service department is reputed to be excellent.

considering what i have p---d away on never used accesories or tobaccos tossed after six or less smokes, the extravagance (sp) of the old boy purchase ($80) now seems like a great deal.

my experiences with colibri have been uniformly dismal

in the car and for backup to my matches around the house, for the price the imco lighter from austria is a JR(taster) best buy.

jrtaster/john

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I use refillable Ronson lighters. I don't like filling landfills with plastic disposable lighters. Sometimes, I do use matches, but I really can't taste the difference.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
The "Old Boy" may be expensive, but it lasts. Over the years I have tried many less expensive lighters, and I have a basket full of non-working less expensive lighters to show for it. On the other hand, I have a dependable "Old Boy" that still works as well as it did on the day bought it, more than ten years ago. Considering the amount I spent on the non-working lighters, the "Old Boy" was the best investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.