PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JoeW

Can't Leave
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
This afternoon’s cigar was a Sobremesa Short Robusto. I got it 2 weeks ago in a sampler from Famous Smoke, and I guess I was too eager: the aroma was very pleasant, but the cigar itself was pretty dense, the draw was fairly tight, and the flavor muted: mostly damp tobacco. I expected better.

IMG_5666.jpeg

Fortunately I have a few more Sobremesas (in larger vitolas) so I can try again later. I only paid about $3 for this one, so not too much regret. I’ll be sure to give the rest of the sampler a lot more resting time.

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
This afternoon’s cigar was a Sobremesa Short Robusto. I got it 2 weeks ago in a sampler from Famous Smoke, and I guess I was too eager: the aroma was very pleasant, but the cigar itself was pretty dense, the draw was fairly tight, and the flavor muted: mostly damp tobacco. I expected better.

View attachment 328314

Fortunately I have a few more Sobremesas (in larger vitolas) so I can try again later. I only paid about $3 for this one, so not too much regret. I’ll be sure to give the rest of the sampler a lot more resting time.
Bummer. I bought 3 of the short Churchill Sobremesas a few weeks ago, and have been tempted to smoke one "early"...

Last vacation smoke was a Davidoff Petite Corona with about 9 months of box time.
1000003653.jpg

JoeW

Can't Leave
Apr 1, 2024
Bummer. I bought 3 of the short Churchill Sobremesas a few weeks ago, and have been tempted to smoke one "early"...

Last vacation smoke was a Davidoff Petite Corona with about 9 months of box time.
View attachment 328374

What a view! I hope that you've had a great vacation!

I haven't had a Sobremesa before, but based on previous experience with the Umbagog, I'm inclined to blame the conditions rather than the cigar. I bought some Umbagogs from Cigar Page in January, and tried one after 2 weeks in the humidor. It also was very bland and produced very little smoke. After 4 months of rest, I had another one, and it was a much better experience.

This Sobremesa came from Famous Smoke, and the experience reminded me of that first Umbagog. I'll bet that the other Sobremesas, which have been resting since March, will be much nicer. Now I need a nice vacation myself so I can try them out ;)

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
Arturo Fuente Casa Cuba Doble Cinco
tZ4RGUel.jpg

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
What a view! I hope that you've had a great vacation!

I haven't had a Sobremesa before, but based on previous experience with the Umbagog, I'm inclined to blame the conditions rather than the cigar. I bought some Umbagogs from Cigar Page in January, and tried one after 2 weeks in the humidor. It also was very bland and produced very little smoke. After 4 months of rest, I had another one, and it was a much better experience.

This Sobremesa came from Famous Smoke, and the experience reminded me of that first Umbagog. I'll bet that the other Sobremesas, which have been resting since March, will be much nicer. Now I need a nice vacation myself so I can try them out ;)
Thank you! That's very kind. We had a great time

JoeW

Can't Leave
Apr 1, 2024
After complaining about yesterday’s Sobremesa, I got a hankering for an Umbagog this afternoon.

IMG_5679.jpeg
Apparently that spider is envious, but I’m not going to share.

Thinking back, yesterday’s Sobremesa did take a long time to light, supporting my theory that it was too damp. This Umbagog lit much more quickly, and is much more flavorful and aromatic.