PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Ah, okay. I kind of figured it was a stick I would really need to concentrate on. I've never tried an Opus either, I have two squirreled away for a special occasion also.

Opus definitely need some age, otherwise they tend towards being too strong, muted, earthy, and peppery. For that reason, saving them back for special occasions is a smart move.

I'd also recommend the Fuente Añejo line as they are very similar to Opus (some say the same binder and filler), are easier to find, more affordable, and seem to require less aging than the Opus.

The Ashton ESG is very elegant, but you will want to focus on the flavors. Time and again, they start good, get a little close to boring, and then end with a flourish. I would recommend drinking nothing but water with it, whereas an Opus can stand up to libations, coffee, and tea very well.

PipePint&Cross

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2023
Indiana
Opus definitely need some age, otherwise they tend towards being too strong, muted, earthy, and peppery. For that reason, saving them back for special occasions is a smart move.

I'd also recommend the Fuente Añejo line as they are very similar to Opus (some say the same binder and filler), are easier to find, more affordable, and seem to require less aging than the Opus.

The Ashton ESG is very elegant, but you will want to focus on the flavors. Time and again, they start good, get a little close to boring, and then end with a flourish. I would recommend drinking nothing but water with it, whereas an Opus can stand up to libations, coffee, and tea very well.
Thanks, this is very helpful!

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
My Father La Duena Petite Belicoso

1000003049.jpg
I've smoked through 5 of these since purchasing back in Feb. None were what I might call good. I've got another 5er that I'll be waiting till November to sample from. Hopefully 6+ months will bring out their best.

* I had a few excellent Petite Lanceros from this line which inspired these purchases

BronzeAgePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2023
Boone>Wilmington
Gellis Family Marevas. Quality tobacco, but not my thing at all. I haven't found a Warped or other Kyle Gellis product I have liked. People love em, but they are all airplanes flying right over my head.
View attachment 323014
I hear you, there’s more that I don’t care for than I do. Not sure if they were better years ago but I’ve been left unimpressed with a half dozen or so smokes. Maestro del tiempo and KJG I found quite nice however, still need to try Colmena, maybe I’ll smoke one later.