PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BronzeAgePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2023
Boone>Wilmington
LOVE the #s 3 and 4.

I could maybe be happy with just Don Carlos, something Connecticut, and a mini of some sort.

Lots of exploring left to do though.

What I immediately like about Don Carlos, aside from great flavors, is that they seem ready to smoke right off the shelf.
Yep give me Don Carlos 3 & 4, Davidoff White Churchill Belicosos and Padron Principes and I’d be fine without stray. But I’d need UPS truck full.

ThomasS

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
Right on!

Decent short smoke?

Nice lighter

Thanks! The lighter is a zippo “armor” series, theoretically made from recycled ammo casings. That one has the pipe chimney, so it’s not my usual cigar lighter, it was just the closest.

Short for me, but I sip my cigars pipe-fashion: it lasted an hour and a half.

It was mild and smooth. It lit easily and burned very evenly, but tended to go out - I attribute that to the small gauge just not having enough of an ember for how I usually go, not any fault of the cigar. It’s not especially strong in any regard and the maduro wrapper in particular is very light (my preference is the Drew Estate Deadwood, which is pushing dark fired levels, so apply salt as needed.) I would compare the flavor to a good virginia/oriental blend that has a speck of dark fired but no particular topping. Overall: yes, nice. Not really my favorite but at $2.70 each, I am certainly content.

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
Thanks for the suggestion! Funny enough, I've only had the Maduro and the Cameroon. I have a Connecticut on hand, but haven't tried it yet as I usually prefer Maduros. I'll definitely give it a try. The Cameroon was the 4 inch, by the way.

I have enjoyed some good Maduro and Cameroon cigars just not so much in the NUB’s. I may have to give them another try in the 4”.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I sure do wish I had a stash to take pics of. I quit buying cigars when Havana raised their prices. For Havanas, I think I may have 4 Ninfas left, maybe 10 or 12 ERDM La Reinas, 1 Cuaba Diademas and a handful of customs. Non-Havanas is not much better.

That's still a good collection, and I'm in a similar boat. Havana prices are a non-starter for me as there is so much enjoyable stuff available still in the $4-15 range, and I am NOT paying $12-15 each for a Perla or Minuto. I'll miss the Cuban terroir once all of mine are gone. C'est la vie.

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
These Plasencia Nesticos are where it’s at though, a bit of a Frosted Flakes thing going on for sure. I can milk this 4.5x36 Nica Puro an hour, so $4.50 ain’t too bad.
View attachment 318382
View attachment 318379
Seconded for sure

1000002773.jpg
Was also listening to the How Bout That Cigar podcast, which I think is well done.

I like that Plascencia clearly states production date on their boxes. My Nesticos were made 7/2023

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
New and Old

IMG_7457.jpeg
From the cheap seats section of the display humidor comes this New Cuba bargain Nicaraguan. I like these.

First, though, I’ll light up this Partagas mini. I’ve accumulated a decent collection of these quick Cuban cuties in a variety of brand names. I’m pretty sure that they are all rolled in the same factory, but the packaging is really nice, and the flavor can’t be beat.

IMG_7455.jpeg
The display humidor
UPDATE:
That Partagas was so good, I’m skipping the New Cuba. Tomorrow, maybe.

Last edited:

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
Follow up on the Gato Negro to say the construction on that cigar ended up being shite. Was almost like there was a problem with the binder. Not real sure. I had to spark up another cigar out of that humidor to make sure it wasn’t a me problem and this one is burning beautifully. Hoping that was a one off with the Gato because it was a good tasting smoke.

I will say my brother bought a box of these and hasn’t had any issues. I think this one must of been a bad egg.

Last edited:

BronzeAgePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2023
Boone>Wilmington
Tatuaje Cabaiguan Guapos Maduro Robusto:
I’ve been having terrific luck with the last dozen or so smokes burning like champs but this one took me to touch up town, where I broke down. Good flavor on this stick and I can see why people love them. The blend is impressively perfect with the Tannic wood , dark chocolate morphing into coffee with such a sweet smooth finish all in perfect lockstep unity. Has all of the making of a great Maduro except for the fact it lands on the palate so incredibly dry, if this cigar wasn’t so parching on the palate it would be a knockout. Apparently some people blend for that sort of thing, lending well to libations, but I’m skeptical . Smooth, sweet and drying, yea it’s a weird sensation , maybe could use a dousing of salt and pepper if it’s gonna be that dry, tingly and tart. A lot of sweet tea was consumed during this 90min.
IMG_6157.jpeg