PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I don't know how it is with other countries, but Cuba is known to cycle through tobacco strains like someone changing out rolls of toilet paper. The reason the 12/13 vintage cigars were well-received is they were the first years to receive an experimental strain that was exceedingly close to the Corojo they used through the 80s and 90s. Please don't ask for a source as I read it around that time on the Friends of Habanos forum. It's probably still there, buried in some old thread.

Around 2015 is when I started noticing that a lot of the blends were tasting more similar while old favorites seemed to undergo a blend change. Two examples: Ramon Allones Specially Selected I smoked in 2007-2010 were like honey toast, with a fantastic muskiness. When I restocked those in 2014 or so, they have become much more raisiny and lost the musk. Same with Upmann Magnum 50, another one I used to stock and favor. It began like muted sugar and salt, then just grew and grew into a glorious, complex experience. Last time I had one several years ago, it was like fruity coffee. I couldn't believe they were the same cigar.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Illusione MJ12 with some Perrier while roasting some coffee. First time I've had this size in a long time, and while it's thicker than I like, it's very good. Not as spicy or full in body as some of the other sizes in the "Core Documents" but it's just as rich with flavor. Plus, I'm just a sucker for the foil wrapper (discarded before photo)

20220211_193433.jpg

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I don't have that kind of competence to know why this like others has changed, and not being in the territory and in the dark from some of their dynamics, it is foolish to make statements.
Perhaps the answer lies in the simplicity that nature changes, and people retire.
I think the answer is money. The demand for CC has increased, in order to meet it, they have to offer whatever they have, which includes poor-quality and unaged tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.