PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I love lfd cigars, I'd take a double ligero chisel any day of the week. But I completely agree with you on the air bender, the finesse is there is spades.

Generally, it's considered foolish to talk about hidden gems that are in somewhat limited supply, but holy moly. Behind all the pepper and nicotine, LFD grows and blends some notable tobacco, if you like the Dominican character. They age extremely well and are pretty affordable at online auction.

I followed the Air Bender Poderoso from earlier up with an Air Bender Maduro Matatan. Never had a Maduro AB before. Maduro Habano wrappers aren't terribly common and while I think a lot of the finesse was lost in the heavy body from the wrapper, with some time to tame the oily wrapper, I could see these being another one of a kind experience.

IMG_20220209_202550536.jpg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Dios mío! This sucker is amazing! I know LFD gets most of its recognition for powerhouse cigars and this one is no limp kitten, but the finesse in the Air Bender blend is incredible.
View attachment 127394
I've burned through a couple of 5ers of those in tubos, and I really like them. Up there with the Coronados as my favorite LFDs.

Pipesandstuff

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2021
Orlando, Fl
Generally, it's considered foolish to talk about hidden gems that are in somewhat limited supply, but holy moly. Behind all the pepper and nicotine, LFD grows and blends some notable tobacco, if you like the Dominican character. They age extremely well and are pretty affordable at online auction.

I followed the Air Bender Poderoso from earlier up with an Air Bender Maduro Matatan. Never had a Maduro AB before. Maduro Habano wrappers aren't terribly common and while I think a lot of the finesse was lost in the heavy body from the wrapper, with some time to tame the oily wrapper, I could see these being another one of a kind experience.

View attachment 127470
Foolish is one of the nicer compliments I've heard. Lol. Im starting to get the impression a lot of Europeans dont aged or rest NCs. I think LFD is a textbook example of why rest or aging works so well for so many blends from the "old school" blenders. They might lose a little pop, but 6mo, 2yrs, whatever, these cigars have time to meld and round the edges. Its like having two day old leftovers from your favorite casserole.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Foolish is one of the nicer compliments I've heard. Lol. Im starting to get the impression a lot of Europeans dont aged or rest NCs. I think LFD is a textbook example of why rest or aging works so well for so many blends from the "old school" blenders. They might lose a little pop, but 6mo, 2yrs, whatever, these cigars have time to meld and round the edges. Its like having two day old leftovers from your favorite casserole.

Was absolutely calling myself foolish for lauding a somewhat under-the-radar brand, especially since it's been out of stock more than usual lately. Never wanted to imply you are foolish. I guess inflection doesn't carry over the printed word.

To your point, I just finished the last of some 2+ yr old Double Ligero Maduro Chiselitos that so impressed me, I immediately put a box into the cooler to be forgotten about for a couple years. It seems the Maduro LFD are consistently oily to require at least a little down time to ensure an even burn.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Quai d'Orsay, a brand that I love a lot in past releases and a lot less in those present.
The brand has never shone in aromatic strength and potency, in fact, it is probably more geared towards those who love gentle aromas and moderate strength.
I am fond of Gran Corona (Coronas Grande 42 x 155mm (6⅛ ″)), elegant, harmonious cigar, with a surprising aromatic finesse and freshness of a fine seasoned wood, nuts, cocoa, fruity floral scents, balsamic herbs (clear mint).
Unfortunately, the story ended because it was discontinued in 2006.
This is one of those, I still have a dozen of this box left (POS JUN 2006).
View attachment 127421

The recent releases have not impressed me, the 50 and 54 are mediocre, with traits of acidity and bitterness, they climb a few steps from the middle of the cigar onwards.
I remember the first release of the 50, some arrived very fresh with little filling. I found the photo right now:
View attachment 127426
Well even if young the Senadores (EL2019), because it differs a lot from 50 and 54 * lol *

In your opinion, is the "new" rebranded QdO (with new bands, sizes, etc) the same blend as the previous?

Pipesandstuff

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2021
Orlando, Fl
Was absolutely calling myself foolish for lauding a somewhat under-the-radar brand, especially since it's been out of stock more than usual lately. Never wanted to imply you are foolish. I guess inflection doesn't carry over the printed word.

To your point, I just finished the last of some 2+ yr old Double Ligero Maduro Chiselitos that so impressed me, I immediately put a box into the cooler to be forgotten about for a couple years. It seems the Maduro LFD are consistently oily to require at least a little down time to ensure an even burn.
I didn't think that at all, I'm just selfish and self centered so I think everything is about me. Lol.

Super excited/jealous you got that goodness tucked away.

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
In your opinion, is the "new" rebranded QdO (with new bands, sizes, etc) the same blend as the previous?
I like these comparisons that occasionally break the flat images with only the name of the artifact.
To answer you clearly, in my opinion no and I'll explain why I see it this way.
The characteristics of the brand are poorly reproduced in the current ones (I speak of #50, #54, and some regional ones that I have tasted), because we must not get confused with "< strength and spice = flatness, aromatic scarcity, less persistence".
The new blends tend to have a slight extra strength and a slight spiciness, but they are not very evolving, lacking in freshness, have a narrow aromatic range, and little persistence.
The increased ring and the low filling (found in several specimens, perhaps to contain the cost?) does not help, the smoke arrives hot and the aromatic balance as well as the feeling of freshness fall.
The flicker of coffee and milk / cappuccino encountered several times in the #50 lasts a blink of an eye, earthy and sometimes bitter confused aromas take over from the middle onwards, even with a few years of age.
The Gran Corona, as well as the Imperiales or the Corona Claro produced until 2017 with the old anilla (band A), were of another make, and @jvnshr would surely have noticed the difference between bland / flat and light / intense, and we are talking about cigars with more or less 15 years on their backs, therefore also very long-lived despite being mildness, as it is reasonable to expect from a Bolivar.
I break a lance in favor of Senadores (EL2019), which as previously written differs considerably from the latest releases, reminding me at times with sugary aromas of pastry (similar to Hoyo) and fruity floral notes, the golden years of this brand.
I realize, and I agree with you, that sometimes talking about rare, unobtainable pearls does not lead to any road, but probably, and even just for pure curiosity and terms of comparison, it is nice to remember them.
Thanks for your interest and sorry my poor English!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I like these comparisons that occasionally break the flat images with only the name of the artifact.
To answer you clearly, in my opinion no and I'll explain why I see it this way.
The characteristics of the brand are poorly reproduced in the current ones (I speak of #50, #54, and some regional ones that I have tasted), because we must not get confused with "< strength and spice = flatness, aromatic scarcity, less persistence".
The new blends tend to have a slight extra strength and a slight spiciness, but they are not very evolving, lacking in freshness, have a narrow aromatic range, and little persistence.
The increased ring and the low filling (found in several specimens, perhaps to contain the cost?) does not help, the smoke arrives hot and the aromatic balance as well as the feeling of freshness fall.
The flicker of coffee and milk / cappuccino encountered several times in the #50 lasts a blink of an eye, earthy and sometimes bitter confused aromas take over from the middle onwards, even with a few years of age.
The Gran Corona, as well as the Imperiales or the Corona Claro produced until 2017 with the old anilla (band A), were of another make, and @jvnshr would surely have noticed the difference between bland / flat and light / intense, and we are talking about cigars with more or less 15 years on their backs, therefore also very long-lived despite being mildness, as it is reasonable to expect from a Bolivar.
I break a lance in favor of Senadores (EL2019), which as previously written differs considerably from the latest releases, reminding me at times with sugary aromas of pastry (similar to Hoyo) and fruity floral notes, the golden years of this brand.
I realize, and I agree with you, that sometimes talking about rare, unobtainable pearls does not lead to any road, but probably, and even just for pure curiosity and terms of comparison, it is nice to remember them.
Thanks for your interest and sorry my poor English!

Thank you very much for your in-depth analysis. What you say makes perfect sense and gels with what I have heard from a few folks who were big fans of QdO. For one reason or another, it seems the blend was changed and I have not heard of anyone preferring the new blend.

Your English was just fine - understood you perfectly.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
When you say "new blends", do you mean old blend but recent release?

After smoking the cigar, the tobacconist asked for my feedback. I told him that it was flat with no complex flavors. And he said "you probably don't like light cigars." I tried to explain him that a body and flavor is a different thing, a cigar can be mild yet full-flavored. And it is also possible to enjoy a mild cigar with mild flavors, but some complexity is required at least. I like when flavors compete without overwhelming each other. Even one dimensional cigars are appreciated but there should be consistency as you have mentioned.

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
When you say "new blends", do you mean old blend but recent release?

After smoking the cigar, the tobacconist asked for my feedback. I told him that it was flat with no complex flavors. And he said "you probably don't like light cigars." I tried to explain him that a body and flavor is a different thing, a cigar can be mild yet full-flavored. And it is also possible to enjoy a mild cigar with mild flavors, but some complexity is required at least. I like when flavors compete without overwhelming each other. Even one dimensional cigars are appreciated but there should be consistency as you have mentioned.
Yes, I mean the new releases that have nothing in common with the old blend.
QdO is one of those brands that for some years have been put in the drawer and sometimes re-proposed for E. R., the last of the old production was discontinued in 2015 (Imperiales), only the Corona Claro seems to have continued to be produced by changing the band in 2017 (this only on paper). It was in 2017 that there was an attempt to relaunch, right about in the period of the commercial classification of brands (Global, Value, Volume, Other) by Habanos. QdO was placed in the latter, like LGC and others loved by fans, and, as we said a few posts before with @pantsBoots, intended for small targeted releases. This is the description of the sector:

"-Other Brands- Other brands only have a small number of regular production cigars, and are mainly used for Regional Edition cigars and 'tactical' releases. "

... And often, the typicality of the brand of these releases, does not come close to the historical or to the continuity of production.

I tried to explain him that a body and flavor is a different thing, a cigar can be mild yet full-flavored. And it is also possible to enjoy a mild cigar with mild flavors, but some complexity is required at least.
I totally agree with you on this, and it makes a lot of difference.

To conclude, because it seems to me to be too verbose, I don't have that kind of competence to know why this like others has changed, and not being in the territory and in the dark from some of their dynamics, it is foolish to make statements.
Perhaps the answer lies in the simplicity that nature changes, and people retire.
Thank you for your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.