PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Is that a Dark Sumatra? I ask because I have a fiver of the Dark Sumatra blended by AJ Fernandez arriving today. My buddy and I used to smoke the original Dark Sumatra and I remember liking it. I keep reading AJ Fernandez's name and figured why not punt on one of his cigars and see what the fuss is about. I may have smoked a cigar he's blended before and not known it, but it seems like he focuses on the NC brands with Cuban names, which I generally avoid like a plague.

Last edited:

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Tried this one upon the recommendation of tobacconist today, disappointed. Unfortunately, too bland for me.
View attachment 127317
Quai d'Orsay is a classic example of a marca that needs some age to open up, even in this day and age where more Havanas are ready to smoke immediately. In general, though, I would say I've not been wowed by aged examples, though there is a legion of fans for the brand. It's good, but nothing I would stack boxes of. I think I have one lone 2009 QdO Corona I received as a gift. Will have to fish it out and make sure my tastes haven't changed.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Quai d'Orsay is a classic example of a marca that needs some age to open up, even in this day and age where more Havanas are ready to smoke immediately. In general, though, I would say I've not been wowed by aged examples, though there is a legion of fans for the brand. It's good, but nothing I would stack boxes of. I think I have one lone 2009 QdO Corona I received as a gift. Will have to fish it out and make sure my tastes haven't changed.
That one was probably from a new box, I also read that it needs at least 3 years to open up. The thing is, it was neither flavorful nor complex. Aging may improve the taste but it won't fix the cigar. The burn was razor sharp, the draw was perfect though. I would prefer an Oliva Connecticut to this one any day.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
That one was probably from a new box, I also read that it needs at least 3 years to open up. The thing is, it was neither flavorful nor complex. Aging may improve the taste but it won't fix the cigar. The burn was razor sharp, the draw was perfect though. I would prefer an Oliva Connecticut to this one any day.

It's been years since I had one and I'll have to find the sole survivor I have left, but that's kind of what I remembered. A little citrus, a little coffee, some earth, naturally, and not much beyond it. Tried different vitolas, different years and nada for me. The best of the lot was the Panetelas, now long gone.

Sep 18, 2015
Is that a Dark Sumatra? I ask because I have a fiver of the Dark Sumatra blended by AJ Fernandez arriving today. My buddy and I used to smoke the original Dark Sumatra and I remember liking it. I keep reading AJ Fernandez's name and figured why not punt on one of his cigars and see what the fuss is about. I may have smoked a cigar he's blended before and not known it, but it seems like he focuses on the NC brands with Cuban names, which I generally avoid like a plague.
No Sir, that one is the Gold, it’s an Ecuadorian Habano wrapper with Nicaraguan binder and filler, not a bad smoke but I like the dark Sumatra better. I think with a decent rest, maybe a year or so, the gold will be really good.

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
Quai d'Orsay, a brand that I love a lot in past releases and a lot less in those present.
The brand has never shone in aromatic strength and potency, in fact, it is probably more geared towards those who love gentle aromas and moderate strength.
I am fond of Gran Corona (Coronas Grande 42 x 155mm (6⅛ ″)), elegant, harmonious cigar, with a surprising aromatic finesse and freshness of a fine seasoned wood, nuts, cocoa, fruity floral scents, balsamic herbs (clear mint).
Unfortunately, the story ended because it was discontinued in 2006.
This is one of those, I still have a dozen of this box left (POS JUN 2006).
QdO-Grand_Coronas.jpg

The recent releases have not impressed me, the 50 and 54 are mediocre, with traits of acidity and bitterness, they climb a few steps from the middle of the cigar onwards.
I remember the first release of the 50, some arrived very fresh with little filling. I found the photo right now:
QD-No50_5.jpg
Well even if young the Senadores (EL2019), because it differs a lot from 50 and 54 * lol *

Pipesandstuff

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2021
Orlando, Fl
Dios mío! This sucker is amazing! I know LFD gets most of its recognition for powerhouse cigars and this one is no limp kitten, but the finesse in the Air Bender blend is incredible.
View attachment 127394
I love lfd cigars, I'd take a double ligero chisel any day of the week. But I completely agree with you on the air bender, the finesse is there is spades.

Status
Not open for further replies.