PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I've only owned one British automobile. A 1969 Austin America.
My first car was a '58 MG-A. Interesting car. It was built in a country where it rains almost every day. Yet even with the top up and the "curtains" closed it leaked like crazy. Also, whenever I would drive through a large puddle the water would splash up into the engine compartment and the distributor would get wet and she quit on me. I used to carry a jar of kerosene to pour over the distributor so I could go again.

Learning absolutely nothing from the MG fiasco, I later bought a '70 Norton 750 Commando-S. If anyone wanted to know where I was going all they had to do was follow the trail of nuts and bolts it left behind.

Even after all that my favorite car of all time is the E-Type Jaguar. Some people never learn. puffy

1966-jaguar-e-type.jpg

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
My first car was a '58 MG-A. Interesting car. It was built in a country where it rains almost every day. Yet even with the top up and the "curtains" closed it leaked like crazy. Also, whenever I would drive through a large puddle the water would splash up into the engine compartment and the distributor would get wet and she quit on me. I used to carry a jar of kerosene to pour over the distributor so I could go again.

Learning absolutely nothing from the MG fiasco, I later bought a '70 Norton 750 Commando-S. If anyone wanted to know where I was going all they had to do was follow the trail of nuts and bolts it left behind.

Even after all that my favorite car of all time is the E-Type Jaguar. Some people never learn. puffy

View attachment 184507
The engine in my Austin was side saddle so the distributor was behind the grill. The car would quit in a good rain shower. I used some bailing wire to hang a rubber floor mat over the distributor. The radiator was in the passenger side wheel well. Also the engine and automatic transmission used the same oil. The oil filter was the canister type and mounted right side up so I would pack paper towels under it to catch the quart of oil that came out when the cover was lifted. It definitely had its idiosyncrasies, but it was a great car.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes I think my hobby is curiosity. A friend kindly complimented me by saying I notice everything. But that just means I have questions about everything. I have to rein it in, or people think I expect them to come up with answers to all my questions, rhetorical and otherwise. It can sound truly bothersome instead of imaginative.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
One more Tikiphile here! ✋
I've lived long enough to see Tiki come and go... and then, to my utter surprise, revive.

Of course, to the uninitiated, the whole tiki thing must seem confusing. But to anyone with a romantic bone about them, they get it.

It's a love and for and a curiosity for what might lie over the hill; not what actually does. It is the joy found in finding a small corner of something unspoiled tucked away from the hustle and noise of everything else.

Of course it doesn't exist and yes, it might seem offensive to anyone unhappy about upsetting the cattle, but it is primordial and runs deep.

I am fortunate enough to have three great Tiki bars near me - The Reef , which harkens back to the 50s and has been reinvigorated and become central to the Tiki Movement in SoCal; The Tonga Hut, which is just a wonderful backdrop in and of itself and overlooks downtown Palm Springs, and The Bootlegger, a bar where bartenders go to get quality drinks and set in the quiet and dark while being watched by vintage velvet paintings and knowing that they are at Don the Beachcombers back bar at his old restaurant in Palm Springs. There is of course Toucans, but that is a whole different category.

When I have time, I venture down to San Diego and enjoy The Bali Hai - on Shelter Island overlooking San Diego Bay across from Coronado Island. If I have time I take a hike to False Idol, but it is generally too busy to really enjoy.

What is it you find enjoyable about this thing of ours?