Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I never understood the Lawn Urge.

Grew up in a manicured Midwestern suburb, and half the year for everyone was

Snip snip, clip clip, bzzzzz bzzzzz, scoop scoop, carry carry, dump dump, repeat.

:oops:

My idea of a perfect yard came later: 2.66 acres of untouched desert in far northern Scottsdale. What's referred to in that part of the world as "natural landscape".

The most yard work I ever did was remove the occasional plastic bag caught in a cactus at the end of a windy day.

The rest of the yard work time budget was spent grilling, watching critters with binocs, reading, going for walks, and so forth. 👍

This isn't my place---it's just pics off the Net---but was taken only a few miles away. The "feel" is exactly right:

View attachment 167523
View attachment 167524
Pretty scenery George.

I have that one disease to where I have to go all out hen I do something. That and being a Nebraskan, we like to grow stuff just to cut it down;)

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I never understood the Lawn Urge.

Grew up in a manicured Midwestern suburb, and half the year for everyone was

Snip snip, clip clip, bzzzzz bzzzzz, scoop scoop, carry carry, dump dump, repeat.

:oops:

My idea of a perfect yard came later: 2.66 acres of untouched desert in far northern Scottsdale. What's referred to in that part of the world as "natural landscape".

The most yard work I ever did was remove the occasional plastic bag caught in a cactus at the end of a windy day.

The rest of the yard work time budget was spent grilling, watching critters with binocs, reading, going for walks, and so forth. 👍

This isn't my place---it's just pics off the Net---but was taken only a few miles away. The "feel" is exactly right:

View attachment 167523
View attachment 167524
It is beautiful, used to live in Scottdale. Now in Michigan and I really look forward to yard work. The weather is beautiful and taking care of the property (only .5 acres) is satisfying in some way.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have sundered quietly as an Urban Archeologist unearthing Tiki Mugs and drinks for over 40 years.

I am a member of a motorcycle club and own and drive a beautiful Indian motorcycle.

I travel, more than most, less than some.

I fly fish.

I build and shoot rifles. I have a gun collection that might be bigger than my pipe collection in terms of numbers.

For fun, I study quantum mechanics and am preparing for my second Ph.D. which is in... quantum mechanics. This may be mostly to off set dementia in the future now that I am retired.

If I wasn't married, I would most likely be chasing women.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I run on caffeine, nicotine, and hatred while enjoying the occasional alcoholic beverage and reading (primarily history or biographies with a smattering of classic fiction and horror).

I used to infuse my own booze and watch horror movies or boxing/wrestling, but those enjoyments and some others (like silence) left town when my daughter was born.

As a former line cook of 18 years and being a large American, I enjoy cooking and food. In fact, cooking is one of the few activities that involve all 5 senses (except you keep your clothes on and it is less expensive).

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
And thank you for that!

Food is quite useful when not dying from statvation is desired.

👍 👍 👍

View attachment 167531
Most of the corn grown where I grew up in NE was for livestock but the 2 rows nearest the road were almost always phenomenal sweet corn that was free for the taking as long as you asked first.

If you learned how to can/jar starvation was a virtual impossibility. Other veggies easily/readily grew in the back yard garden.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Most of the corn grown where I grew up in NE was for livestock but the 2 rows nearest the road were almost always phenomenal sweet corn that was free for the taking as long as you asked first.

If you learned how to can/jar starvation was a virtual impossibility. Other veggies easily/readily grew in the back yard garden.
Same here in Ohio............. The good stuff is on the outside rows.............. ask and ye shall receive. Silver Queen mostly, Damn fine stuff!.............

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.

I used to go picking for wild blackberries. They make a wonderful pie. Funny thing; it seems the best and most plentiful batches always grew along the railroad tracks. Go figure! puffy