PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
Tonight I tried to watch 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre ll" which I recorded about 2 years ago. Managed about half an hour but had to give up due to pi$$ poor performance overall!

What an absolute load of tripe ?

Clearly made for kids despite the "adult only" intro. Total waste of time though doubtless there will be fans on here.

Regards,

Jay.

HAHAHAHA! It was a load of old rubbish wasn't it Jay? Especially compared to the awesome first movie.
Its got Dennis Hopper in it as well so it's not only an awful movie but also a waste of a talented actor.
I watched it a little while ago free on YouTube (link below if anyone's interested ?). Reading the YouTube comments apparently its got plenty of people who enjoyed it. Takes all sorts I suppose.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I’ve been rewatching this...somehow very relaxing in these anxious time, vaguely recall the show from PBS as a child:

Derek Jacobi is generally excellent in everything he’s done.

I remember watching Cadfael occasionally back in the mid 1990's when it originally aired in the UK. I agree with you about Derek Jacobi, he's always been great in everything I've ever seen him in.
Here he is in an episode of Frazier, where Frazier and Niles put on a special production of Hamlet to showcase the talents of their favourite Shakespearean actor (Jacobi) who has fallen on hard times. Sadly he's not quite as good as they remembered he was from their childhood.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jun 9, 2018
England
Just started binge watching Gotham on Netflix. I'm about halfway through the first season and so far I'm really enjoying it.
It's set in the Batman universe but in this series Bruce Wayne is a young boy and Commissioner Gordon is just starting out as a detective. Its got lots of characters you'll know from the comic books & movies like Penguin and Riddler and it has a dark gritty feel a little like the recent Joker movie.
I'm liking it so far and give it a 4/5.
Here's the trailer for season 1

Yesterday I finished the season of The New Pope. I think this has been the best written and acted series since Breaking Bad.
I am just not sure how they would do another season, unless they make Voiello the next pope, like they suggested at the end. But, I've read that they wanted to make it a trilogy. Young Pope, New Pope, and now maybe Old Pope? Ha ha.

Reactions: dcon and jpmcwjr
Jan 27, 2020
I remember watching Cadfael occasionally back in the mid 1990's when it originally aired in the UK. I agree with you about Derek Jacobi, he's always been great in everything I've ever seen him in.
Here he is in an episode of Frazier, where Frazier and Niles put on a special production of Hamlet to showcase the talents of their favourite Shakespearean actor (Jacobi) who has fallen on hard times. Sadly he's not quite as good as they remembered he was from their childhood.

That’s crazy, never caught that episode. Fraser was one of those shows that had really small laughs for me, made me chuckle or smile more than anything. Something comforting about it.

If you haven’t seen I, Claudius with Jacobi that for me I still one of the best shows ever. I even owned the VHS box set puffy

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
That’s crazy, never caught that episode. Fraser was one of those shows that had really small laughs for me, made me chuckle or smile more than anything. Something comforting about it.

If you haven’t seen I, Claudius with Jacobi that for me I still one of the best shows ever. I even owned the VHS box set puffy
I have heard of I, Claudius and I'm aware it's held in high regard as a classic 1970's BBC tv series but I've never seen it. I just looked it up and Patrick Stewart & John Hurt are in it so I'll definitely give it a watch if the beeb ever repeat it or put it on the iplayer.
Another classic 1970's BBC tv series worth a watch if you ever get the chance is The Onedin Line. It's set in the 19th century and is about a sea captain who buys a rundown ship and starts his journey to having a shipping empire.
It's sort of like Breaking Bad but with less methamphetamine and more tall sailing ships?.

Reactions: whsergent and Bowie
Jan 27, 2020
I have heard of I, Claudius and I'm aware it's held in high regard as a classic 1970's BBC tv series but I've never seen it. I just looked it up and Patrick Stewart & John Hurt are in it so I'll definitely give it a watch if the beeb ever repeat it or put it on the iplayer.
Another classic 1970's BBC tv series worth a watch if you ever get the chance is The Onedin Line. It's set in the 19th century and is about a sea captain who buys a rundown ship and starts his journey to having a shipping empire.
It's sort of like Breaking Bad but with less methamphetamine and more tall sailing ships?.

I’ll certainly look that up... I’m sure the definitive Sherlock Holmes with Jermey Brett is well known here but I believe that was a Granada not BBC production. I recently rewatched it on archive.org

Jun 9, 2018
England
I’ll certainly look that up... I’m sure the definitive Sherlock Holmes with Jermey Brett is well known here but I believe that was a Granada not BBC production. I recently rewatched it on archive.org

I totally agree that the late great Jeremy Brett was the definitive screen holmes and yes it was ITV it was shown on.
Peter Cushing also did a sterling job of playing Holmes in a BBC series from the 1960's (YouTube links to a couple of ep's below).
He also stared in a Hammer movie version of The Hound Of The Baskervilles in which he plays Holmes and Christopher Lee plays Sir Henry Baskerville.
That's a great film and the YouTube link to that is below also.

Jan 27, 2020
I totally agree that the late great Jeremy Brett was the definitive screen holmes and yes it was ITV it was shown on.
Peter Cushing also did a sterling job of playing Holmes in a BBC series from the 1960's (YouTube links to a couple of ep's below).
He also stared in a Hammer movie version of The Hound Of The Baskervilles in which he plays Holmes and Christopher Lee plays Sir Henry Baskerville.
That's a great film and the YouTube link to that is below also.

Never saw those- thanks! I was a subscriber to Britbox over here but cancelled after I watched all of the Keeping Up Appearances.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Rewatching all of Portlandia for the 4th time. Never been to Portland, but I used to live in Asheville which is basically the same thing.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
"Super 8".

2011 film on Amazon Prime. Directed by J.J. Abrams but, it has Spielberg's (producer) fingerprints all over it. Sorta like "E.T." meets "The Goonies".

That said, I liked this film all the way until the silly-arsed last 5 minutes. It was well-paced, well-written and, certainly well-acted but the ending seemed contrived and more than a bit rushed.

The film (overall) still gets a 4, the ending gets a 1 and the train depot scene (without giving it away) gets a solid 5.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The Irish Mob on Netflix. It's (unsurprisingly) a six part documentary series about various different Irish gangsters.
They cover all the big names like Jimmy Burke of Goodfellas fame, the crazy as fuck Westies and the elusive whitey Bulger. There's plenty of interviews with those involved (Henry Hill is in the Burke ep) and authors who've written books on the various subjects.
Overall I'd give it a 4/5

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just finished watching the movie A Quiet Place that was uploaded today on Netflix.
It's about a family's fight for survival in a world where aliens/monsters that can't see but have super hearing have killed most people off. Obviously the survivors can't make a sound so it's quite a tense film.
I liked it a lot and give it 4/5.
Trailer:

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Bowie
Jan 27, 2020
The Irish Mob on Netflix. It's (unsurprisingly) a six part documentary series about various different Irish gangsters.
They cover all the big names like Jimmy Burke of Goodfellas fame, the crazy as fuck Westies and the elusive whitey Bulger. There's plenty of interviews with those involved (Henry Hill is in the Burke ep) and authors who've written books on the various subjects.
Overall I'd give it a 4/5

Gonna check that out tonight. Read a book on the subject many years ago, not sure if the show deals with the Irish mafia in NYC but recall how they were the first to cut up bodies for disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.