PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
In The line of Duty: The FBI Murders free on YouTube.
It's a true story about the 1986 shootout between The FBI and a pair of ruthless bank robbers where many of the Feds were shot and sadly 2 were killed ☹. David Soul plays one of the psycho robbers/murderers. It was quite good and I'd give it a 3.5/5.
I only found the film because I was watching a movie based on the other famous shootout, the North Hollywood one from 1997 where the police were SEVERELY outgunned. It stars Michael Madsen and Mario Van Peebles. I didn't like this as much though and give it a 2/5. Hopfully one day someone makes a good movie about it although the shootout scene from Heat wasn't far off what actually happened. I saw a documentary about the incident a few years back and they said when the police searched one of the robbers flats they actually found a copy of Heat in his VCR, he was probably using it for inspiration or something.
Links for both below:

I remember watching that live on tv. Crazy stuff.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was a Junior in High school when that came out. Still a favorite. After having worked in NYC, their "travel" out of Manhattan makes no sense, which always makes me laugh.

The Warriors on my PVR, I'm guessing everyone's seen it? If not why? A brilliant movie with a great gritty, dark feel due to it being fimed in late 1970's New York, which from everything I've ever read/seen was a very different much tougher place.
Easy 5 out of 5.

Trailer:

Jun 9, 2018
England
I was watching some classic snooker matches from the 1980's when YouTube recommended this pool match between Minnesota Fats and Willie Mosconi from the 1970's, Howard Cosell is the commentator.
I've never really watched pool before but I'd heard of Fats of course because of the movie The Hustler. These two REALLY didn't care for one another did they? Fats quips and banter are hilarious and the way they bicker it's like they're a couple of old geezers down the pub who've disliked each other for decades :LOL:.
Score wise I don't really know what to give it but I definitely enjoyed it that's for sure.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
The Warriors on my PVR, I'm guessing everyone's seen it? If not why? A brilliant movie with a great gritty, dark feel due to it being fimed in late 1970's New York, which from everything I've ever read/seen was a very different much tougher place.
Easy 5 out of 5.

Trailer:
I've gone as Baseball Fury for Halloween many times...great flick.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Season 4 of "Better Call Saul" started last night, very good, Part 2 is on this evening.
I'll agree with you that Better Call Saul is a great show. I watched the first episode a long time ago, after finishing Breaking Bad, and was underwhelmed initially. I've since gone back to it, and am glad I did...Better Call Saul is up there on par with Breaking Bad IMHO. I'm about half way through Season 2.

Reactions: dcon and autumnfog
We binge watched the series The Young Pope last night, and it was really good. They used a pipe as a fulcrum for the plot twist. The orphaned young pope as a kid had his father's pipe stummel that he carried everywhere with him as a reminder of his parents. Then he received the stem to prove from some folks as proof that they were his parents, and then... I am not going to spoil it.

But, the second series sparked by this one, John Malkovich, the next Pope is a pipe smoker, with a rack of pipes on his desk. He seems to have the whole process down.

I had mentioned on another "what are you..." thread that I wasn't sure if this was going to be blasphemous or not, but it doesn't ring any of my red flags. I highly recommend this series, whether you are Catholic or not, or religious or not. It is a very entertaining addictive show.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I watched The Highwaymen on Netflix a few weeks ago and that was brilliant. It was my second favourite movie I saw last year after Joker.

It's about the two Texas Rangers who came out of retirement to hunt down Bonnie & Clyde.
Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson play the two Rangers.
It was interesting to see a film that was from the perspective of the lawmen who had to find them.
Definitely a 5 from me.
Kevin Costner? He went to the same acting school as Tom Cruise. Hopeless the pair of them.
With so many good actors available, how do those two hacks keep getting work?
They must give really good head or they've got secret files on Hollyweird producers. Idk.

As soon as I see either name I flick the channel. Both spoil what could have been a good movie.

Reactions: dcon

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Last year the GLBTWeirdo station, SBS, started running X-Files from the very first episode.
It's the only show that I watch daily.
Gillian Anderson is a hottie.
Some episodes are so-so but generally speaking I give it a 5/5 [Gillian makes up for any flawed story lines]

Apart from movies, the only other TV that I regularly watch is Test cricket and Rugby League [Our footy season is starting in a few weeks. Yay!]

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Kevin Costner? He went to the same acting school as Tom Cruise. Hopeless the pair of them.
With so many good actors available, how do those two hacks keep getting work?
They must give really good head or they've got secret files on Hollyweird producers. Idk.

As soon as I see either name I flick the channel. Both spoil what could have been a good movie.
Yeah I wouldn't put Kevin Costner in the same bracket as Tom Cruise. To me Costners a decent actor who's been in some amazing films from The Untouchables to Field Of Dreams and Dances With Wolves there's quite a few movies of his I've really enjoyed.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Yeah I wouldn't put Kevin Costner in the same bracket as Tom Cruise. To me Costners a decent actor who's been in some amazing films from The Untouchables to Field Of Dreams and Dances With Wolves there's quite a few movies of his I've really enjoyed.
Costner is leaden and stiff.
Cruise can't get out of his own skin. One only sees little Tommy pretending to play a part, never the character itself. Although there was one exception. He didn't ruin Interview With A Vampire. [Maybe because the character was so far from the norm?]

Reactions: dcon
Jun 9, 2018
England
Costner is leaden and stiff.
Cruise can't get out of his own skin. One only sees little Tommy pretending to play a part, never the character itself. Although there was one exception. He didn't ruin Interview With A Vampire. [Maybe because the character was so far from the norm?]
Yeah I agree with you when it comes to Tom Cruise (although I did like him in Valkyrie) but not Costner. He's definitely not one of my favourite actors but I've liked him in a good few movies.
I would never not watch any movie just because a particular actor I don't care for is in it. Conversely I will watch a film whatever the subject matter if its got an actor I really do like in it, Al Pacino, Clint Eastwood & Gary Oldman come to mind.

Reactions: dcon and chopper
Status
Not open for further replies.