PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
Gonna check that out tonight. Read a book on the subject many years ago, not sure if the show deals with the Irish mafia in NYC but recall how they were the first to cut up bodies for disposal.
Yep it covers The Westies and their diy butcher disposal method.
They weren't the only ones who did this. Around the same time Gambino mobster Roy DeMeo and his associates the Gemini crew (named after the lounge they worked out of) also used the chopping up bodies method and they were much more prolific.
DeMeo had trained as a butcher and they had a system that became known as the gemini method. Basically they'd lure the victim to the basement where DeMeo would jump out and shoot the person in the head, then he'd rap a towl round it to stop the blood oozing out. Another member would then stab the victim in the heart to stop the blood pumping so there'd be less mess, they'd then hang the body over the bath for half an hour to let the blood drain out then butcher the corpse.
In a documentary I watched about it (YouTube link below) one of the police officers who investigated them said once they'd finished they would order pizza and eat it with their still bloody hands?.
They think DeMeo and the gemini crew may have murdered up to 200 people between the 1970's to early 1980's.
Anyway it's a very good documentary but given the subject matter it's obviously a tad grisly so maybe avoid if you don't like that sort of thing.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
"Notes On a Scandal". 2006, with Judi Dench/Cate Blanchett.

Let's just say Ms. Dench puts on a clinic in this and shows why (with the right script) she can easily stand with Olivier, Gielgud, O'Toole or any actor we call the top of the heap.

Don't be fooled by the "chick-flick" label. This is a good movie all-around.

4, with a solid 5 for Ms. Dench.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just subscribed to Brit Box for two weeks.- free from AppleTV. MI-5 has many episodes, yay!, but what else is good?
Don't have or need Brit Box as I live in the UK but I had a look what shows are on it.

For more serious fare I'd recommend:
Prime Suspect with the fabulous Dame Helen Mirren
Inspector Morse
Sherlock Holmes with Jermey Brett
Cracker

And for comedy:
Only Fools And Horses which regularly gets voted the UK's favourite comedy series of all time but for some reason isn't as big as it deserves to be in the US
Fawlty Towers
The Office which of course is the original that was then developed for US tv
Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister
Blackadder
The Thick Of It
The League Of Gentlemen which is a very strange series and definitely not for everyone but to me it's an absolute classic

There should be at least one or two things in that little lot that you find interesting.

Jan 27, 2020
Don't have or need Brit Box as I live in the UK but I had a look what shows are on it.

For more serious fare I'd recommend:
Prime Suspect with the fabulous Dame Helen Mirren
Inspector Morse
Sherlock Holmes with Jermey Brett
Cracker

And for comedy:
Only Fools And Horses which regularly gets voted the UK's favourite comedy series of all time but for some reason isn't as big as it deserves to be in the US
Fawlty Towers
The Office which of course is the original that was then developed for US tv
Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister
Blackadder
The Thick Of It
The League Of Gentlemen which is a very strange series and definitely not for everyone but to me it's an absolute classic

There should be at least one or two things in that little lot that you find interesting.

I was going to mention Prime Suspect earlier I think it might be on Prime too, I also started watching Luther aroud the same time but that started to wear on me. The contemporary show Shetland is really good too and of another time period with the excellent Mark Rylance Wolf Hall.

Jun 9, 2018
England
After the recent discussion of the terrible sequel I thought I'd rent The Texas Chainsaw Massacre as I hadn't seen it in a few years.
Absolute classic of the genre and easily one of my favourite horror movies of all time.
The opening 30 minutes are unsettling and weird but once the young guy wanders into the house and leatherface suddenly appears and smashes him over the head with a hammer it's a non stop roller-coaster of craziness, gore and terror.
Easily a 5* movie and the name alone should make you wanna see it.

Jan 27, 2020
Definitely a great choice. I caught it when it was free on Amazon Prime here in The Colonies.

I’ve been meaning to check if the sequel is out yet...I also saw it on Prime in the US. While I like British things wouldn’t say I’m an “Anglophile”, I also appreciated shows and such from the US and many parts of the world but the BBC consistently has better shows than Netflix, Prime, etc...

Reactions: Bowie

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Rotten Toms gives it very high marks, over 90%.

An enthralling blend of blood, terror, and political intrigue, Kingdom is a refreshing addition to the zombie landscape.

It just isn't my thing. I rather enjoyed True Blood's (4/5) first few seasons, but that's as close I got to that sort of thing.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
"Stranger Things". Netflix.

You know you're in trouble when you sit down to a movie and the soundtrack is full of recognizable songs...sung by totally unrecognizable voices. It goes downhill from there. Even the plotline (kids against an evil top-secret military program) is getting long in the tooth.

I'll give Ms. Brown (Eleven) credit. At 12 years old, she seems to be the only cast member capable of a credible performance. Every one else is either miscast or eats scenery like Bugs eats carrots.

It seems to get great reviews on the wide world of web but, I just found it kinda silly.

1..and that's being kind.

Jan 27, 2020
I’ve moved onto the BBC production of Middlemarch. Something very charming about the woman who plays Dorothea...

9D3B5E57-AFD4-49E7-9524-DE9CCC9115BC.jpeg

Jun 9, 2018
England
A documentary (free on YouTube) about Led Zeppelin's legendary manager Peter Grant.
There are numerous interviews with people who knew him and the band and some great stories from life on the road with some of the most proficient hellraisers to have ever walked the face of the earth.
A couple of my favourite stories were when John Bonham had smashed up a hotel room and the snotty English manager remarked to Bonham "I see you left the mirror intact then?" whereby John said "Oh so I did" and promptly pulled it off the wall and smashed it.
Another time the band were checking out of a Hotel and Peter was handing over the cash to pay for all the damage they'd caused when the manager (with a pissed off look on his face) said how it was so unfair he had to do a job he hated and how he'd love to trash a hotel room but because he wasn't a rock God he couldn't. Peter then told him "have one on us" and gave him a couple of thousand Dollars. Apparently the guy took full advantage and trashed the room of his choice even chucking a few things out the window in true Led Zep style?.
Anyway it's a great documentary on a manager who truly cared about his artists and helped change the business by (among other things) getting Zeppelin a 90/10 cut of the gate at concerts instead of the standard for the time 60/40 split.
5/5

Status
Not open for further replies.