PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I was going through my PVR doing a bit of pruning to free up space when I came upon The Magnificent Seven.
I'm guessing I don't have to explain the storyline as you've all seen it. You have haven't you? You bloody better have!

Well for anyone who hasn't it stars (among others) Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Yul Brynner and Charie Bronson. They play gunslingers hired by some poor villagers to protect them from a group of bandits who are always riding in and taking their stuff. It was directed by John Sturges and Elmer Bernstein did the iconic score.

A stone cold classic if ever there was one and a definite 5/5
're watching now thanks for the reminder

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Decided to watch something a bit different today. Mother Nature.

Due to the recent monsoons, we haven't been able to get far outside til today. I finished my walk this morning and got out on the front porch in my rocker with a cup of coffee and a pipeful of Escudo. And watched this beautiful spring morning pass by my small world in the Coronaverse.

Soft southern breeze. A couple high clouds. Japanese crabapples and forsythias blooming. Bluebirds and cardinals feasting on the crane-flies hopping in the yard. Hawks in the distance. Lawnmowers humming in the neighborhood and kids down the street having a large time.

If this is what they call "self-isolating", I'm all for it.

5/5.

• Love
Reactions: tom12 and docpierce

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
'The Sinner"...Netflix...Bill Pullman/Jessica Biel.

Finished the first season last night. More solid production, writing and acting than the usual crime fare. Ms. Biel is a much better actress than expected and certainly has the gift of holding your attention. Mr. Pullman is more than capable, as well, tho I don't get why all lead tv detectives have to have so much angst on these shows nowadays.

Still, a good series so far and we'll probably fire up season 2 tonight.

4/5.

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
A documentary on Robert Aickman, who came up with the genre of strange tales, I've been getting into my horror recently and this turned up, he seems to be one of those writers along with Arthur Machen and Lovecraft who redefined horror.

Reactions: whsergent
Jun 9, 2018
England
Watching "The Dark Side of the Ring - Chris Benoit" I used to love wrestling and I still do love the old school wrestling. It's on a channel called Vice.

if you like old school wrestling, I give it 5 stars.

I just watched that as well python, I really enjoyed it even though it's a terribly sad story.
The whole Dark Side Of The Ring series is very good, I particularly liked the episodes on Bruiser Brody and The Von Erichs.

I was listening to an interview with the 2 guys behind the series on Jim Cornette's podcast and New Jack & The Brawl For All are two upcoming episodes that sound like they'll be good.

Reactions: python
Jun 9, 2018
England
A documentary on YouTube about the original New York superclub Studio 54 (link below).

It's an interesting tale of hedonism, excess and ultimately the downfall of the owners. The list of famous people who used to frequent the place is legendary, from David Bowie to Andy Warhol and Donald & Ivana Trump.

A decent documentary that I'd give 3.5/5

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
"12 Strong". Amazon Prime.

Based on a true story (which usually means considerable poetic license), a non-Thor Chris Hemsworth leads a special forces group on a secret mission in Afganistan just after 9/11.

If you like a good shoot-em-up, this one'll work. Just the right amount of blood in all the right places. Pretty good photography and action scenes. Not too much schmaltz. Not too much of that damn "shakey-cam".

3/5.

Reactions: Bowie

PipesAndCigarsInFrance

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2020
France
Just setting off a Shelock (BBC Cumberbatch version) binge.
Funnily enough I signed up for the free BritBox trial as I am living in France and I think I will have to check out The League of Gentlemen and BlackAdder again. Recently had a large craving for Jeeveswith Stephen Fry and similar outings...thankfully I should have the time to fulfil such desires

Jun 9, 2018
England
Just setting off a Shelock (BBC Cumberbatch version) binge.
Funnily enough I signed up for the free BritBox trial as I am living in France and I think I will have to check out The League of Gentlemen and BlackAdder again. Recently had a large craving for Jeeveswith Stephen Fry and similar outings...thankfully I should have the time to fulfil such desires

Love the The League Of Gentlemen❤️. I don't think it's as well known as other British comedies because it's a bit, well you know, weird.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I just watched that as well python, I really enjoyed it even though it's a terribly sad story.
The whole Dark Side Of The Ring series is very good, I particularly liked the episodes on Bruiser Brody and The Von Erichs.

I was listening to an interview with the 2 guys behind the series on Jim Cornette's podcast and New Jack & The Brawl For All are two upcoming episodes that sound like they'll be good.

I love that series. I watched the entire first season. Yes, the Benoit story is very sad. He was one of my favorites until that happened.

I saw the New Jack episode, that dude is nuts!

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Watched two of my favorite movies today:
"The Watch" about a neighborhood watch that ends up dealing with an alien invaison. Critics hated it, but imo its hilarious.

And "The Ruins" about some college students on vacation in central america who dont get to go home again :oops: If you havent seen it, its an original idea for a horror movie and the kids do some great acting (imho)

Jun 9, 2018
England
The Dark Side of the Ring: The Brawl For All.

It was quite good wasn't it? Vince Russo is a bit of a moron but I did agree with him about John Bradshaw Layfield. The guys a bully and always has been, it was funny watching him get his clock cleaned.

It wasn't the first time either. Apparently JBL was picking on little Joey Styles (the former ECW & WWE commentator) on a plane ride back from Iraq. Here's a report from the time.

"JBL went after former ECW play-by-play announcer Joe "Joey Styles" Bonsigore.
All week long, Styles was viciously hazed by JBL, who reportedly spent his entire time in Iraq severely intoxicated.
Styles apparently couldn't stand it anymore, and when other people got in between the two, Styles blasted JBL with a punch that saw JBL end up with a cut and blackened eye, which was somewhat visible under heavy makeup on Monday Night Raw.
All reports say JBL spent most of Monday night by himself in the locker room, being very quiet and spending most of the time emailing on his Blackberry. Styles has not commented publicly on the incident."

??

Reactions: python
Status
Not open for further replies.