PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
Just watched Capricorn One free on YouTube. There's a channel on there that has lots of older films to watch for nothing, and it's legit.

Anyway I've seen this a few times before but it came up in my recommendations so I decided to watch it again. I don't remember if I've reviewed this before and I honestly can't be arsed going back and checking, so here goes.

It's about 3 astronauts who are about to make the first journey to Mars but are whisked away from the rocket ship just before take off. They're told there's no way the mission would succeed so they've decided to fake it with movie sets.
They're doing this so Congress will keep funding them and the public will stay interested, if the astronauts don't play ball their families will be killed.

It stars James Brolin, Sam Waterston and OJ Simpson (before he had his *ahem* difficulties) as the 3 astronauts and the great Hal Holbrook as the evil head of the Space Program. Elliott Gould is the reporter trying to discover the truth about what's going on and the legendary Telly Savalas is in it as well.

One other thing I noticed was James Sikking is in it, he played Lt. Howard Hunter in Hill Street Blues and often had a pipe in his mouth in that great series. In this he plays the head of the fake mission control and has a pipe on the go in every scene, a dublin I think? You can tell the way he handles the pipe that he was a smoker in real life.

It's a great movie that is definitely worth a look. 4/5

Link to movie:

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
The World Series. I’m not even a baseball fan. Just looking for some normalcy.

Reactions: edger

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Turn: Washington’s Spy’s. Slow to get into, but good historical drama. Lots of clay pipe smoking. I’m pretty hooked, love historical series. Good costuming, scenery, you feel immersed in the 18th century. Not too much, if any ,modern moralizing and sprinkling in of 20th century culture that gets tossed in like a lot of other series.

Reactions: LOREN
Jun 9, 2018
England
Dead Man's Line on Amazon Prime.
It's a documentary about a man called Tony Kiritsis who in 1977 walked into a mortgage brokers in America and took one of the VP's hostage. He did this by attaching a shotgun to the guys neck with a metal noose and he had a wire attached to him and the trigger so he couldn't be tackled by anyone, this is where they get the name of the documentary.

Apparently the mortgage company had fucked him over so he decided to do something about it. Surprisingly I'd never heard of this case (it's the sort of thing that would interest me) and the whole story is incredible. I won't spoil it for anyone although I'm guessing a few people on here would possibly remember the case from when it actually happened.

The documentary itself is really well done. The guy was constantly talking to tv stations, radio stations and negotiators which was all recorded and is used in the film. They also interview all the main players who are still alive.

The story itself is insane but really interesting and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Easy 5/5

Trailer:

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Ohio State vs Nebraska. Empty stadium yet the crowd noise is practically deafening. Amazing!

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Turn: Washington’s Spy’s. Slow to get into, but good historical drama. Lots of clay pipe smoking. I’m pretty hooked, love historical series. Good costuming, scenery, you feel immersed in the 18th century. Not too much, if any ,modern moralizing and sprinkling in of 20th century culture that gets tossed in like a lot of other series.

I love that show. I watched it when it originally aired on TV. I have been thinking about watching it again since it is on Netflix.

Reactions: jttnk and ron123

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Over the last 24 I have watched The West Wing Special on HBO Max, The Borat sequel on Prime, and an episode of American Masters on PBS about Michael Tilson Thomas. I can recommend them all. 4-Star, 3-Star, and 3-Star respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.