PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Carnal knowledge level. Even if rumors of her close association with a stallion or several stallions is true, I am sure the production wouldn't have touched it with a six foot pole.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
My four-year-old daughter is obsessed with the tv show Chopped, so we are watching that and other cooking shows when we sit down as a family. Great memories.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Haven't seen it yet, but looking forward to it. I remember when that happened.

And no surprise regarding the FBI...long history of corruption there.

It will have your blood pressure high for days.

I'd rate it a 4 out of 5. The guy that plays Richard does a good job of making him a likeable character. In real life he probably was not. That's still no excuse for what happened.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Discovery's "Building Off The Grid". Most of these people have a different definition of "Off The Grid" than I'm used to (apparently it just means anything with solar panels) but it's a fun and eclectic mix of very different construction projects, from family built mud huts to million dollar floating mansions. Kind of hilarious how surprised everyone seems to be when their project never meets it's budget or schedule. Professional contractors can't even do that, why would you think your amateur ass would be able to?

Fun show though, fun to see all the various modalities, cob, straw, earth, stone, stick, timber, log, yurt, steel, concrete, souped up canvas, even floating islands made of plastic bottles.

Reactions: Bowie and jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Just watched a documentary that some kind person had uploaded to YouTube called The Police Tapes (link below).
It's a film from 1977 that follows the police in a rundown area of the South Bronx.
It's mostly a fly on the wall doc but there are interviews with the officers interspersed throughout the film.
There's a funny bit where they seem to take forever knocking down a door but overall it's pretty depressing, and it definitely shows what a difficult and somewhat soul destroying job the police have.

It's an interesting snapshot of a moment in time, before AIDS and crack cocaine ravaged these neighbourhoods in the 1980's. I enjoyed it, although it's in black & white which might bother some.
I give it 4/5

buckner

Lurker
Apr 18, 2017
Fishing documentaries and Friday Night Lights recently. Latter is pretty good. Not a football fan really but show is great so far.

Reactions: Bowie
Jun 9, 2018
England
Believe it or not, the old 1980s Sherlock Holmes Season 2, with Jeremy Brett as Holmes (may he rest in peace.) He was so good at this role.

For me Jeremy Brett was the ultimate Holmes. In second I'd pick Peter Cushing with Basil Rathbone in third.

I don't know if you've seen it but someone has uploaded the 1959 Hammer version of The Hound Of The Baskervilles to YouTube. It stars Peter Cushing as Holmes and the great Christopher Lee as Sir Henry Baskerville. It's definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it, and doubly so if you're a Holmes fan.

Link:

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
For me Jeremy Brett was the ultimate Holmes. In second I'd pick Peter Cushing with Basil Rathbone in third.

I don't know if you've seen it but someone has uploaded the 1959 Hammer version of The Hound Of The Baskervilles to YouTube. It stars Peter Cushing as Holmes and the great Christopher Lee as Sir Henry Baskerville. It's definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it, and doubly so if you're a Holmes fan.

Link:

I have not seen this. I'll have to search for it because your link won't play in the States, thank you!

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I finished up the Deadwood series this week, and capped it off with Deadwood: The Movie (2019).

The series, as I've noted, is excellent. Seasons 1 and 2, 5 of 5 stars. Season 3, a bit of a dip, 4 of 5.

The movie was a nice nostalgic wrap-up, but it didn't have quite the zing as the series: 3 of 5.

Having been to Deadwood, SD, a couple of times, you can close your eyes on the main drag and almost imagine it 140-50 years ago, even amidst the touristy garbage. The Black Hills is a gorgeous place, one of the best natural places in the USA. But I digress.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just an oddity- The depiction of Big Ben in the movie is off:Fake big ben.jpg

What say you Londoners? There aren't any minarets (if that's the right architectural term) that are that high, are there? Maybe from a certain angle low on the ground they appear to go up to the clock face....??

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Just an oddity- The depiction of Big Ben in the movie is off:View attachment 29837

What say you Londoners? There aren't any minarets (if that's the right architectural term) that are that high, are there? Maybe from a certain angle low on the ground they appear to go up to the clock face....??
It is most likely the towers on Parliament. The angle is peculiar I’ll admit.☕

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Still watching Mrs. America, and really enjoying this period piece. I was a tad young to remember much about the ERA movement. Its really well done.

Next up "Deadwater Fell". Some love it, other reviews aren't so good.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Bowie
Jun 9, 2018
England
Just watch a documentary on YouTube called Bobby Sands 66 Days.
I've posted the link below but sometimes you can't watch because you're in a different country?.

It's a doc about IRA member Bobby Sands and the hunger strike he went on to gain certain rights for IRA prisoners.
I vaguely remember what happened (I was 7 at the time), but growing up in the 1980's I definitely remember the troubles in Northern Ireland and all the bombings in England. Thankfully that's all in the past now.
It's an interesting documentary on a sad event in some very troubled times.

4/5

Reactions: dcon and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.