PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Just watch a documentary on YouTube called Bobby Sands 66 Days.
I've posted the link below but sometimes you can't watch because you're in a different country?.

It's a doc about IRA member Bobby Sands and the hunger strike he went on to gain certain rights for IRA prisoners.
I vaguely remember what happened (I was 7 at the time), but growing up in the 1980's I definitely remember the troubles in Northern Ireland and all the bombings in England. Thankfully that's all in the past now.
It's an interesting documentary on a sad event in some very troubled times.

4/5

That's on my list. Can't remember if I posted this movie, it was pretty good:
"Based on Martin McGartland's shocking real life story. Martin is a young lad from west Belfast in the late 1980s who is recruited by the British Police to spy on the IRA. He works his way up the ranks as a volunteer for the IRA whilst feeding information to his British handler and saving lives in the process. "

My neighbors are Irish, and in their late 60's. They've tried to explain this era to me, but it still makes little sense to me.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
The Remains Of The Day on my PVR.

It's a love story set in a large English country estate (think Downton Abbey) during the 1930's, in the years leading up to World War Two.
Sir Anthony Hopkins plays the head butler and Dame Emma Thompson is the new housekeeper who goes to work there. The two of them then start to have feelings for one another.
When I say love story that isn't exactly right, it's more a story of unrequited love. Hopkins butler is very repressed and buttoned-up, he just can't express his feelings. He takes his job VERY seriously as well, which doesn't help him.
Hugh grant and Edward Fox are among the supporting cast.

I personally can't stand modern romantic movies, but films like The Remains Of The Day I DO like, a lot. Even if romantic movies aren't your cup of tea you may well like this.

I'd give it a six out of five but that's against the rules, so I shan't. I will however bend them a little and give it an extra star??.

5*/5

Trailer:

Jun 9, 2018
England
The Siege At Ruby Ridge on YouTube.
This was a 2-part tv movie from 1996 about an armed stand-off that took place in 1992. Some ATF agents went to do reconnaissance on a subject they wanted to arrest who was the head of a sort of prepper/religious family. The agents were discovered and things went tits-up, an agent and the 14 year old son of the family were killed in an exchange of gunfire. The rest of the family took sanctuary in the house and the stand-off ensued.

I'd never heard of Ruby Ridge before but it was mentioned in a documentary about Waco that I saw.
Randy Quaid stars as the patriarch of the family (I'm guessing this is before "the Hollywood Star Whackers" came looking for him?), Laura Dern plays his wife and Spider Man's squeeze Kirsten Dunst the eldest daughter.

The person who uploaded it to YouTube did so in 5 parts, I've posted the links below.
I like films that are based on real world events and I quite enjoyed it.
3½/5

Links:

Reactions: Bowie

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
watched one of the weirdiest movies I've ever seen. Birdies, Orphans, and Fools. It's a movie that only made sense because of the context under which it was made. It really seems to be a comment on what had just happened in Czechoslovakia at the time. It's grim too but also strangely beautiful.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Siege At Ruby Ridge on YouTube.
This was a 2-part tv movie from 1996 about an armed stand-off that took place in 1992. Some ATF agents went to do reconnaissance on a subject they wanted to arrest who was the head of a sort of prepper/religious family. The agents were discovered and things went tits-up, an agent and the 14 year old son of the family were killed in an exchange of gunfire. The rest of the family took sanctuary in the house and the stand-off ensued.

I'd never heard of Ruby Ridge before but it was mentioned in a documentary about Waco that I saw.
Randy Quaid stars as the patriarch of the family (I'm guessing this is before "the Hollywood Star Whackers" came looking for him?), Laura Dern plays his wife and Spider Man's squeeze Kirsten Dunst the eldest daughter.

The person who uploaded it to YouTube did so in 5 parts, I've posted the links below.
I like films that are based on real world events and I quite enjoyed it.
3½/5

Smudger: Guessing you are a younger guy? I get great delight reading how you describe new to you movies! My 30 year old son-in-law will only watch modern movies and I keep telling him how much he is missing out

Jun 9, 2018
England
Smudger: Guessing you are a younger guy? I get great delight reading how you describe new to you movies! My 30 year old son-in-law will only watch modern movies and I keep telling him how much he is missing out

Haha! Cheers mate?. No I'm afraid I'm not that young?, 46?. I've seen loads of films over the years, but I'd never heard of this one. I only found out about it because I watched a documentary on the Waco siege, and in it they mentioned Ruby Ridge. So I looked on Wikipedia for some info and it mentioned a tv movie.
I like things that are based on real people and real incidents.
BTW if your son-in-law won't watch older movies he's missing out big time! Maybe get him to watch (if he hasn't seen them) Alien, Goodfellas, The Deer Hunter, Taxi Driver, The Godfather or One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and I bet he'd change his mind.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Mommie Dearest. So full of great scenes. Faye Dunnaway nails Crawdord. This one always makes me laugh. It was a tv movie, but quite well done.

There was a tv series a couple of years back called Feud, it was about the relationship between What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? co-stars Joan Crawford and Bette Davis. Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon starred in it and it was really good. Definitely worth a look if you haven't seen it.
That's another great movie, What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? Really unsettling and tense.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Old movies? Oh, yeah. Casablanca, Dr. Strangelove, some Bergman flicks or other, and a not-very-old fav, A Fish Called Wanda. Hardly an exhaustive list. (Wait'll Jesse sees this)

All the above are 5/5 in my book.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Old movies? Oh, yeah. Casablanca, Dr. Strangelove, some Bergman flicks or other, and a not-very-old fav, A Fish Called Wanda. Hardly an exhaustive list. (Wait'll Jesse sees this)

All the above are 5/5 in my book.

I love Dr Strangelove! Peter Sellers was a comic genius. To play so many different parts in the same movie (and do it so well) is pretty amazing. Not many actors could even get close to doing that, not convincingly anyway.
Mr Obi-Wan Kenobi Alec Guinness pulled off a similar feat with Kind Hearts And Coronets (another amazing old film).

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There was a tv series a couple of years back called Feud, it was about the relationship between What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? co-stars Joan Crawford and Bette Davis. Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon starred in it and it was really good. Definitely worth a look if you haven't seen it.
That's another great movie, What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? Really unsettling and tense.
Yes, that was very good! Same for the original.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The Eagle Has Landed on BBC iplayer. When I went to find the trailer on YouTube I found someone had uploaded the entire movie a few weeks back. The quality looked good but how long it'll stay up there I've no idea, anyway I've linked to it below.

For some strange reason I'd never seen this, its been on the telly a million times over the years I just never got round to watching it.

It's a movie about a group of German soldiers sent to England to kidnap Winston Churchill (stop sniggering!?).
Michael Caine stars as the charismatic leader of the German soldiers, Robert Duvall his commanding officer, Donald Pleasense is Himler and Donald Sutherland an IRA supporting Irishman who helps them. Oh and JR from Dallas is in it, he plays a dim-witted American Colonel.
The plot (such as it is), is a load of old ludicrous nonsense with more holes in it than a pound of swiss cheese but I quite enjoyed it, then again I do tend to like this type of movie. BE WARNED! Cinemamatic masterpiece it is not.

One funny thing was, because all the stars of the film: Caine, Sutherland, Duvall, Pleasence were on the 'baddies' side, I found myself rooting for them. They come across as more heroic as well, they risk the entire mission to save a drowning little girl for instance, and I was hoping they'd somehow pull it off and abduct poor old Winston. Does that make me a traitor? ?

I give it a 3/5

Full movie:

neilnoff

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2020
Spring, TX
Finished The Mandalorian a few nights ago. Enjoyed it and would give it a 4/5. Not really a Sci-Fy guy, but it was well done, a bit of comic relief and good visuals.

Last night watched Legend on Netflix with Tom Hardy playing both of the twin brothers. Thank goodness for subtitles as the Brit accent is pretty heavy. Must have been really challenging for him to play dual roles. Good story and I'd give it a 4/5

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Watching The Crown (Netflix). A bit too much of family squabbles and girl talk, but over all, a fabulous production.

Two nits: Her Majesty is out stalking with a gun carrier. They spot a great buck. He sets up the gun, a bolt action with major scope. She takes over, and the buck starts moving. She tracks through the scope, but the barrel doesn't move. And, the bore is huge, so maybe it was a shotgun. If it was a rifle, the recoil would have broken her shoulder.

Second, Prince Phil is playing a game of racquets, but all the sound effects are of a squash ball. Shame on the verifiers!!

Still, 4.5/5

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The Movie every American over the age of 18 should watch is the documentary ' Inside Job". It gives a detailed explanation that the layman can understand. It is all about the financial crisis of 2008. It is narrated by Matt Damon and it will get your blood boiling. I thought I knew a lot of what went down while it was happening but I leaned somethings I didn't know.

If you knew how close the world came to financial ruin while the biggest banks in the world sold us short the whole time. They made billions upon billions while the government bailed them out. The company AIG who insures all the police, fire, nurses,city,county pensions and retirement plans let your money be stolen you would be amazed. Not one CEO,CFO, Agency Head, Ratting Agency heads, not one person went to jail for criminal fraud where you and I would be doing 20 years. If you don't know much about what happened you really need to watch this.

The risk is still out there. The banks are too big to fail and they are still allowed to trade in derivatives such as the trillion dollar credit default swap market. A couple of weeks ago Bill Ackman a wall st sharpie Took out a credit default sawp for 26 milllion, he held it for a couple to 3 weeks and made 27 Billion. Who paid the 27 Billion, last time it would be AIG and they don't have the money, so who is the money man on this deal. Think about that kind of profit and there are trillions of dollars in the market. People don't have a clue as to how all the dead money is getting screwed. That is what people at wall st call regular investors "Dead Money"

Hank Paulson, Alan Greenspan, Larry SUmmers R, Chris Cox Head of SEC, All three CEO's of the rating agencies, Moody's ,TFitch and Standard and Poors. The heads of Fanni and Freddi Mac all of them should have gone to jail, Most got huge bonuses.

You guys should really watch this thing as it is disturbing beyond belief. If you think your money is safe I wouldn't have a dime over 250,000.00 in any one bank, it is all you are insured for. Move it around to other banks and keep below the 250,000. If you have a joint account they will insure it to 500,000.00

I am not a financial advisor never have been . I made some money in internet bubble but it gave me a stake which allowed me to get into the private lending market where I have been for over 20 years. I cannot compete with super computers and their algorithms. Even after 20 years of interest payments from 14-16 percent I moved most of my money to cash. I have a few deals left but I got a bad feeling about all of this. Once my few deals pay off I will be out and then I can get some distance to see how things go. I can always go back to private lending as the guy in charge is my dads old law partner and he offers the safest and sweetest deal.

The Dow Jones should be around 6000 and the Nasdaq around 2500. Markets are being falsely held up by the fed with trillions they are not advertising.

I use my gut and so far it has done me well.

Status
Not open for further replies.