PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
Right on both cultures, and the accents therein. Your US examples are right on. Although for the Southern accent, I might have chosen "If ya go to a family weddin' to look for a date, you just might be a redneck." :) (Though the majority of Southerners are not redneck at all.)

I lived in Hertfordshire for a year at school and have made a bunch of trips to London, but never ever have I heard an Englishman or woman say "Pip-pip".

Hahaha!
Just goes to show...I liked the original "Cape Fear" better.

That may be because I was born in the next state down and, to me, Mitchum's accent was the more subtle while De Niro just sounded like most Yankees trying to talk "Southern". That may play well in Peoria but, it ain't gonna fly in Savannah.

Oh, well...both overall good movies.

It's funny but both you and ssjones said the same thing, that De Niro's accent sounded wrong. I didn't notice that at all, probably because my English ear couldn't recognise the nuances.????????❌

Jun 9, 2018
England
Right on both cultures, and the accents therein. Your US examples are right on. Although for the Southern accent, I might have chosen "If ya go to a family weddin' to look for a date, you just might be a redneck." :) (Though the majority of Southerners are not redneck at all.)

I lived in Hertfordshire for a year at school and have made a bunch of trips to London, but never ever have I heard an Englishman or woman say "Pip-pip".

Haha! I never say "pip-pip" but I do occasionally sign off a post with "toodle-pip"
????

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Last night I watched 2 episodes of The Dark Side Of The Ring.

The first was on the murder of Dino Bravo and wasn't that good, I knew most of the information as I'd seen a mini documentary on the subject before so I give it a 2/5.

The other was on the David Schultz/John Stossel incident, when Schultz smacked Stossel around a little. This documentary was much more interesting.
Like most wrestling fans I'd seen the Stossel incident before but it was nice to see the background to what happened and interviews with those involved.
Stossel came across as a really stuck-up git, very condescending and dismissive of wrestling in general. The way he was trying to make out 'exposing' the fact wrestling is predetermined was some sort of big news scoop was ridiculous.
Newsflash John! When we're little we think wrestling is real, but as soon as we grow up a bit we're all fully aware it's predetermined. We don't need an investigative reporter doing an 'expose' to know that. I still enjoy wrestling in the same way I enjoy watching a magician perform his act. I know that David Copperfield didn't actually walk through The Great Wall Of China (or did he?), but I still had fun watching it anyway.

I've gotta be honest and say watching Stossel get bitch slapped then crawl away like a whipped dog did make me chuckle. He was asking gotcha questions and looking for a response and he got one. Probably not the one he was expecting but a response nonetheless.
He didn't get badly hurt and ended up with a $280,000 payoff so I think in the end he did ok out of the whole situation.
The documentary also showed the time Hulk Hogan choked out Richard Belzer (Munch from Law & Order and Homicide Life On The Streets) live on his talk show. Poor old Belzer was out cold and dropped to the floor like a stone, he got a nice settlement as well I believe. I give this episode a 5/5.
Below are links to the 2 incidents I mentioned:

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
The "Expanse" via Amazon Prime. I'm up to episode 6 of season one. It took a few episodes to track all the story lines but I'll keep watching. I see some similarities with "Serenity", but the relationships of the crew members doesn't have the same appeal.

neilnoff

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2020
Spring, TX
Update on my recent viewings: Saw The Irishmen movie and even though it was long, it was good (5/5). Going through True Detectives on HBO Now (starting Season 2 tonight) and it's also very good (4/5). A few days ago saw Dark Crimes, with Jim Carrey. Wanted to see how he performed in a very serious, dark drama and he did a pretty good job, but the story was boring and moved very slowly (1/5). Happy viewing!

Jun 9, 2018
England
Anthropoid on Amazon Prime.
It's a WW2 film based on the true story of 2 Czech soldiers (played by Cillian Murphy and Jamie Dornan) and their mission to assassinate Reinhard Heydrich.
Heydrich was the 3rd highest ranked Nazi (behind Hitler & Himmler) and was the Reich-Protector (dictator) of Nazi occupied Czechoslovakia. He had imprisoned/tortured/murdered 1000's of Czechoslovakian people so the Czech government in exile decided to do something about it. They sent over from England a small group of soldiers to carry out the mission, the soldiers would be helped by local Czech resistance once they arrived in Prague and Anthropoid was the codename they gave to the operation.
I've seen a couple of documentaries on this and the movie follows quite closely what actually happened.
I always enjoy World War 2 films that are based on real life events, especially if they're done as well as this was.
I give it a 4/5

Trailer:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I recently learned of this 2015 movie based on Stanley Milgram's 1960's experiments at Yale studying human obedience to "authority". I immediately purchased the DVD...I'm so glad they made a film about this.

As a movie, I'd rate it 4 out of 5. Good performances and well written.

For its subject matter I give it 5 out of 5. Now more than ever before we vividly see what Milgram's experiments reveal about human nature, being acted out in the world around us on a mass scale.

Some great quotes from the movie:

Jun 9, 2018
England
The Deer Hunter on BBC Iplayer
It's a story about a group of friends and what happens to them when 3 of them go off to the Vietnam War. It stars Robert De Niro, Christopher Walken, Meryl Streep and the late John Cazale.
At 3 hours it's pretty long but it flies by as it's such a good movie.
The film is probably best remembered for the Russian roulette scenes, I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it by saying what happens but needless to say it gets pretty dark and tense.

If you haven't seen it yet then it's well worth watching if it's ever on the tv where you live.

5/5

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Giving this another re-watch:

p7895669_b_v8_aa.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I really enjoyed the Expanse, it trended more to hard Sci-Fi than Serenity.

True Detective - 1st and last seasons were excellent

Is there a better way to kick off Mothers Day 2020 in a health pandemic, than with a great zombie movie.
Answer: NO!
If you enjoyed 28 Days Later - this Korean movie is right up your alley, even with Korean subtitles, it was very good and some new takes on the zombie movie.
A solid A.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The Man On The Moon on my PVR

It's a biopic about late comedian Andy Kaufman who (among other things) played Latka on US sitcom Taxi, appeared on Saturday Night Live, and would travel the country wrestling women, in fact he was the Inter-Gender Wrestling Champion! ?

Jim Carrey plays Andy and is quite simply brilliant. Carey really admired Andy and loved his comedy, you can see he really put a lot of time, thought and effort into his performance. Dany DeVito plays Andy's manager and Courtney Love his girlfriend.
Probably my favourite character Andy did was his alter ego Tony Clifton, a failed Las Vegas lounge singer who is purposely obnoxious to the audience.

I loved the film (I've seen it numerous times) and give it a 5/5 but my opinion is skewed by the fact I'm a big Andy Kaufman fan. Even if you're not I'd still say it's worth watching.

Reactions: python and jpmcwjr

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
4.5/5 Monk
I never watched the series before and always heard how good it was. I'm on season 7 now and it's a "lighthearted" murder mystery show for what looks like primetime tv (remember the term "primetime"?) While I do enjoy it I docked 1/2 point because the better murder mysteries are Sherlock, Sherlock Holmes and The Blacklist.

Last edited:

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I really enjoyed the Expanse, it trended more to hard Sci-Fi than Serenity.

True Detective - 1st and last seasons were excellent

Is there a better way to kick off Mothers Day 2020 in a health pandemic, than with a great zombie movie.
Answer: NO!
If you enjoyed 28 Days Later - this Korean movie is right up your alley, even with Korean subtitles, it was very good and some new takes on the zombie movie.
A solid A.

This one is on my to watch list. It just moved higher now.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
The Man On The Moon on my PVR

It's a biopic about late comedian Andy Kaufman who (among other things) played Latka on US sitcom Taxi, appeared on Saturday Night Live, and would travel the country wrestling women, in fact he was the Inter-Gender Wrestling Champion! ?

Jim Carrey plays Andy and is quite simply brilliant. Carey really admired Andy and loved his comedy, you can see he really put a lot of time, thought and effort into his performance. Dany DeVito plays Andy's manager and Courtney Love his girlfriend.
Probably my favourite character Andy did was his alter ego Tony Clifton, a failed Las Vegas lounge singer who is purposely obnoxious to the audience.

I loved the film (I've seen it numerous times) and give it a 5/5 but my opinion is skewed by the fact I'm a big Andy Kaufman fan. Even if you're not I'd still say it's worth watching.

I love that movie. It was done very well.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
4.5/5 Monk
I never watched the series before and always heard how good it was. I'm on season 7 now and it's a "lighthearted" murder mystery show for what looks like primetime tv (remember the term "primetime"?) While I do enjoy it I docked 1/2 point because the better murder mysteries are Sherlock, Sherlock Holmes and The Blacklist.

I love Monk, it is one of my all time favorite shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.