PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilnoff

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2020
Spring, TX
Just binge-finished current season of Ozark and catching up on the final season of Bosch on Netflix. Probably the only person on the planet not to have seen any of the Tolkien series, but received yesterday the 6 volume set of 3 Hobbit & the 3 LOTR movies. Expect I will launch into those sometime this weekend (better late than never, I guess).

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
What We Left Behind. Wonderfully produced documentary on the Under appreciated Star Trek series Deep Space Nine. Lots of DS9 inside baseball, so you Might have to be a fan of the series or Star Trek in general to appreciate it. Okay, I’m a bit of a nerd. Don’t judge me.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Just binge-finished current season of Ozark and catching up on the final season of Bosch on Netflix. Probably the only person on the planet not to have seen any of the Tolkien series, but received yesterday the 6 volume set of 3 Hobbit & the 3 LOTR movies. Expect I will launch into those sometime this weekend (better late than never, I guess).
Watch LOTR first. As good as one could really hope for in a movie version. Not perfect but quite well done.

The hobbit films were a bunch of money grabbing, liberty taking, drawn out, padded, cartoonificated, over the top, corny ass, piles of ass gargling dook shit.

Well, maybe not that bad, they had decent moments, but the LOTR movies are waaaaaaaaay better. Watch them first or the hobbit films may turn you off entirely.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Watch LOTR first. As good as one could really hope for in a movie version. Not perfect but quite well done.

The hobbit films were a bunch of money grabbing, liberty taking, drawn out, padded, cartoonificated, over the top, corny ass, piles of ass gargling dook shit.

Well, maybe not that bad, they had decent moments, but the LOTR movies are waaaaaaaaay better. Watch them first or the hobbit films may turn you off entirely.

I couldn't agree more...I was thinking the same thing. Big mistake to watch the Hobbit first.

I was overall quite impressed with the LOTR films, but I only saw the first Hobbitt...couldn't stand to watch anymore after that: "drawn out, padded, cartoonificated, over the top, corny ass, piles of ass gargling dook shit." --Precisely.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The Damned United on the BBC iplayer.

It's a film about football manager (and all round ledgend) Brian Clough and his ill fated 44 day stint as manager of Leeds utd back in the mid 1970's.

It's a great film and has a brilliant cast of British actors with Michael Sheen doing a great job of capturing Clough and his mannerisms.

I give it a 4/5

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
All Netflix

Pandemic: 3
Unorthodox: 5
The Danish Girl: 6 (the guy is a phenomenal actor)
Get Sick: 4.5

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For us US viewers, it's hard to get for free right now. Released in 2009. I have barely heard of Pluto TV...

Currently you are able to watch "The Damned United" streaming on Pluto TV for free with ads or buy it as download on Vudu, Apple iTunes, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Amazon Video, Microsoft Store, FandangoNOW. It is also possible to rent "The Damned United" on Vudu, Google Play Movies, Apple iTunes, YouTube, Amazon Video, Microsoft Store, FandangoNOW online

neilnoff

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2020
Spring, TX

Thanks for the tip(s). I'll leave the Hobbits on the shelf until I complete the full LOTR viewing.

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

So, not a 5/5?? :ROFLMAO:
cray

Jun 9, 2018
England
For us US viewers, it's hard to get for free right now. Released in 2009. I have barely heard of Pluto TV...

Yes sadly the BBC iplayer isn't available outside the UK☹. I know people used to use a VPN to mask their ip adress so they could watch from outside the UK, I don't know if this still works.

The film I reviewed was about football (or soccer for our American friends) so might not be as enjoyable if you don't follow the sport.

By the way Pluto tv is available on Amazon Fire if you have that.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Sex Pistols: Agents Of Anarchy on Amazon Prime.
It's a documentary about the legendary Punk band so probably wouldn't be of any interest if you are not a fan.

It wasn't very good. If you are looking for a documentary on the Pistols you'd be better served seeing the documentary The Filth And The Fury, all the band participated in that one and it was a much better film.

I give Sex Pistols: Agents Of Anarchy 2/5

Jun 9, 2018
England
Thin Lizzy: Rocker On The Loose on Amazon Prime.
It's a documentary about rock group Thin Lizzy's front man Phil Lynott.
It was an interesting film as I didn't really know much about Phil and his life. I knew he struggled with heroin and drink addiction and that had finally killed him but that was about it. This film filled in a lot of the blanks.

I give it a 3.5/5

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes sadly the BBC iplayer isn't available outside the UK☹. I know people used to use a VPN to mask their ip adress so they could watch from outside the UK, I don't know if this still works.

The film I reviewed was about football (or soccer for our American friends) so might not be as enjoyable if you don't follow the sport.

By the way Pluto tv is available on Amazon Fire if you have that.

I've read that the BBC player has found a way to block VPN from the States. Dunno, I just don't use VPN.
Pluto is free! Or so I just found. My Sammy TV may have an app, or I could stream and shuffle to TV from my iPhone.
I am a rabid EPL fan, COY Spurs!
Regards,

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
I've read that the BBC player has found a way to block VPN from the States. Dunno, I just don't use VPN.
Pluto is free! Or so I just found. My Sammy TV may have an app, or I could stream and shuffle to TV from my iPhone.
I am a rabid EPL fan, COY Spurs!
Regards,
If you're a football fan you'll probably like the film then. Clough was definitely one of the best managers to ever live and was easily the most charismatic. If you can find the film I hope you enjoy it?.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I just finished Waco on Netflix. I recommend. Good acting. Good characters. I remember the situation well. There were SO many poor choices made that cost lives.

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you're a football fan you'll probably like the film then. Clough was definitely one of the best managers to ever live and was easily the most charismatic. If you can find the film I hope you enjoy it?.
Yes, most interesting. I've been watching EPL for only 4-5 years, and knew nothing of Leeds, much less Derby.

I have watched a bit over half of it, but it seems to me he's portrayed as a pompous, sometimes nasty, genius. Lots of Chutzpah, too.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Status
Not open for further replies.