Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmcnabb

Lurker
Feb 19, 2024
As a certified Shogun nut, let me tell you you're in for a treat. I read the book when I was in grade school (quite a feat, 1300 pages, seemingly half of it in Japanese) and it's one of the great adventure novels of all time in my opinion.

The 1980 miniseries with Richard Chamberlain was good - a solid effort - but flawed and very well...very 1980's TV movie. Even with Toshiro Mifune.

This series is, in my opinion so far, probably the best thing I've seen on TV in a decade. It's completely faithful to the novel and the performances are flawless. The writing is outstanding - they spent 10 years writing it apparently.

I don't often gush about TV shows but this is an instant classic.

pinem

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2015
Nebraska
A Round of Appaulse- Netflix - 4.5/5

A surreal Turkish series. Pretty original and clever. Normally I find most of the foreign content on Netflix (exception being the German content in general, and a few French series/films) to be derivative and uninspired. This was different. A existential comedy of sorts. Even with the translation to English, it holds up pretty well.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
As a certified Shogun nut, let me tell you you're in for a treat. I read the book when I was in grade school (quite a feat, 1300 pages, seemingly half of it in Japanese) and it's one of the great adventure novels of all time in my opinion.

The 1980 miniseries with Richard Chamberlain was good - a solid effort - but flawed and very well...very 1980's TV movie. Even with Toshiro Mifune.

This series is, in my opinion so far, probably the best thing I've seen on TV in a decade. It's completely faithful to the novel and the performances are flawless. The writing is outstanding - they spent 10 years writing it apparently.

I don't often gush about TV shows but this is an instant classic.
The book is great. Read it three times.
Loved the TV show from the 80ies as well, but I tend to like old stuff better than the newly produced.
The new series, well I'll give it a chance.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Started watching Scott and Bailey on Apple TV/Brit Box last night. UK detective show which rolls along well and I like the female cast, very believable in their roles and there are five seasons so it will take you a while to consume. 4.5/5 stars but it’s early days.

Cant wait to view Shogun, think it will be very good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Just got caught up on For All Mankind. Loved it, probably my favorite show I've seen in a long time. 5 Stars.

Characters were nuanced and they handled some touchy subjects with a lot more grace and realism than a lot of media today. Now I'm on a space kick.

• Love
Reactions: keith929

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
“The World At War” BBC World War Two documentary is 26 parts and free on YouTube. My wife and I just finished it. It was fantastic and narrated by Laurence Olivier.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just finished watching the final season of The Blacklist on Netflix. This show has been one of my guilty pleasures, since it is one of the worst written, flat out stupid shows ever to grace the small screen. Maybe it's James Spader's rendition of Sydney Greenstreet's Guttman character from The Maltese Falcon. Maybe it's the sincerity with which the cast goes through the task of striving to breath some life and credibility into the cardboard characters that kept me watching it, even if sometimes in the background while working. And it's fitting that a bull figures into the series ending, since bull was the overwhelming plot content. Shaggy dogs and MacGuffins in excelsis, cop outs galore, yet I attended, if not watched, every episode. Amoral, pretentious, heart on sleeve sentimentality, no cliché left unearthed, it crept along for a decade. And despite all of its egregious faults I enjoyed it.

1 out of 5 to 4 out of 5, depending.