PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
Started watching The Gentlemen, just flicking through Netflix, then saw it's Guy Ritchie's. First episode is definitely a 5/5 pure Guy Ritchie.
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels was a FANTASTIC movie. I watched it and then couldn't wait for Snatch to come out. That one was great too. Since then, his stuff hasn't been as good, but, damn, those two movies were better than most directors can do with untold millions.

This series seems like him coming back to what made him such a great director.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Frank's younger brother Malachi McCourt passed away a few days ago. He was an interesting fellow and far more gregarious than his brother. His book, "A Monk Swimming " (as a child he misconstrued the phrase "blessed art thou amongst women. in the Hail Mary prayer) was also a best seller.
Might try to find his book, thank you for the heads up.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels was a FANTASTIC movie. I watched it and then couldn't wait for Snatch to come out. That one was great too. Since then, his stuff hasn't been as good, but, damn, those two movies were better than most directors can do with untold millions.

This series seems like him coming back to what made him such a great director.
I LOVE both Lock Stock and Snatch, Snatch is more polished, Lock Stock is very gritty. Both have phenomenal lines. Fun fact, I went to study in the UK in 2000, when I started I watched Lock Stock with English friends without subtitles and couldn't understand half of what was said, couple of years later I could double as a cockney.

Re Gentlemen, it was random luck, we were just looking through Netflix and the description sounded good, we were definitely hooked after the first episode.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Watching one of my favorite movie: "A Prairie Home Companion". Really enjoyed this movie. Would have been better if Tommy Lee Jones character had been better cast.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Wasn’t going to but finally watched “Oppenheimer” - it was okay. The juxtaposition started to get a little “off” for me towards the end - it did inspire me to start learning more about the people/history. 4.25/5*.

In the Oscar spirit also watched “After The Fall” - it was really well acted but once the whole suicide angle was out there (which is pretty early so not really a spoiler, lol) I just couldn’t buy it at all. I mean an accidental fall would have made more sense - who is going to think they will really die attempting suicide the way it’s portrayed in the movie? Had to reassure the puppy she won’t be used as a guinea pig! 4/5*.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Oscar watching continues.

Just watched “American Fiction” - one of those kind of ambles along low key movies. Pretty good, loses a lot of steam with the ending(s) - should have re-written the last several minutes IMO. 4/5*

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Both grandsons slept over last night. Sitting here watching The Lion King on the Disney channel. Warm Reese's Pieces cookies fresh out of the oven. Life Is Good.
Awesome! Took my oldest daughter to see it in the theater when she was very, very young. It's been her favorite her whole life - had some little picture, puzzle books memorized that she would "read". Back in the days of Disney stores at malls, I remember she wanted the little "Scar" figure, haha - we were a little concerned, but hey, she wanted it. Sounds like a great weekend!

Reactions: scloyd

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Just watched the Gentlemen Series (Netflix) and I felt it drifted a bit and the cast wasn’t as compelling as the movie, good, but British Gangsters have a look and some of the cast couldn’t quite carry that off. 4/5

Reactions: jpmcwjr

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Dante: from Inferno to Paradiso. A two-part documentary on Dante and The Divine Comedy, on PBS. Not exactly light fare but powerful.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Watching In the Land of Saints and Sinners on Prime. Stars Liam Neeson as an Irish Hitman during the Troubles in Northern Ireland. This is very well acted by all including the lesser lights and shows some stunning Irish scenery, Neeson smokes a Peterson pipe too. Well worth your time 4.5/5