What are You Watching? [2024] Please Rate 1-5

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Just finished watching "Warrior." It was very good. 5/5. There was even a scene about pipes. One of the new gangsters is given a meerschaum pipe that he starts smoking, and two of them have a conversation, about whether the pipe smoking is genuine or an affectation. I couldn't help but wonder if the script writers added that after reading some of our conversations on pipes as affectations. You never know who is reading our posts. MAX
1710937392981.png

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Beekeeper finally dropped its price to stream, on Prime, 4 out of 5 if you like ass kicking. Then watched The Zone of Interest, Dutch film with English Subtitles, 4 out of 5, German boss man of Auschwitz living in luxury behind big wall right next to camp. Heard about it and was curious, very sad how Jews were regarded was in the Navy with a Chief warrant officer who liberated a camp when he was in the army, something you never fotget!

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
Watching In the Land of Saints and Sinners on Prime. Stars Liam Neeson as an Irish Hitman during the Troubles in Northern Ireland. This is very well acted by all including the lesser lights and shows some stunning Irish scenery, Neeson smokes a Peterson pipe too. Well worth your time 4.5/5
Man, that must be an Aussie or Euro selection only. I damn sure can't get it on mine here in the US. Figures.

Reactions: Annaresti Red

pinem

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2015
Nebraska
3 Body Problem - Netflix - 1/5

So frustrating how the hacks that destroyed GoT have been given permission to destroy another great book series. The source material is so original and unique, and the writers have turned it into a love triangle melodrama that should be on the CW network. It's a shame the producers that produced the Expanse for SyFy didn't get the chance to produce this. It would have been so epic.

A complete and utter failure. It's unfortunately another nail in the coffin of our visual arts creative class sh#ting the bed. Whoever runs the UK Netflix studio, along with the producers of the show, should be put up against a wall for this.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
This movie, which is by Japanese animator, Hayao Miyasaki, is just a wonderful, animated feature of his.
"Titled Nausicaa if the Valley of the Wind" is very thoughtful movie about war and all foolish bravado that goes into it.

See the source image

4/5

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Just watched the Gentlemen Series (Netflix) and I felt it drifted a bit and the cast wasn’t as compelling as the movie, good, but British Gangsters have a look and some of the cast couldn’t quite carry that off. 4/5
Yeah it got boring, bloated, too many loose threads coming together clumsily at the end.

Reactions: VDL_Piper

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com

So frustrating how the hacks that destroyed GoT have been given permission to destroy another great book series. The source material is so original and unique, and the writers have turned it into a love triangle melodrama that should be on the CW network. It's a shame the producers that produced the Expanse for SyFy didn't get the chance to produce this. It would have been so epic.

A complete and utter failure. It's unfortunately another nail in the coffin of our visual arts creative class sh#ting the bed. Whoever runs the UK Netflix studio, along with the producers of the show, should be put up against a wall for this.
I am at a 3/5 so far with it. I don't like some changes. Some i see as needed, but not the love triangle, that was a useless addition.

Reactions: kcghost

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Agree with you both. I'd rate the first Ep 5/5, and each succeeding ep marked down a half point each. I stopped watching when it was about a 3/5.
Dunno if I am being nitpicky, maybe I am but I've become sensitive to series which lay out several great arcs, each of which could be THE arc of the whole series, and then fail to develop any of them properly.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
While i was laid off I started to burn through English murder series. It's amazing how much you can watch in 4 months.

Morse - All seasons 4/5
Lewis - All seasons 5/5
Endevor All seasons 4/5

Morse is about a detective, his DS is Lewis, after Morse was over Lewis got his own show and when that ended they did Endevor which was a prequel to Morse (DSI Morse in his youth). Interestingly the author put in his will that once he died there would be no more series or movies about his characters which I thought was cool.

Midsomer Murders - All seasons (25!!) 5/5

To be fair a season of these is usually 8 or so episodes and the are longer than a regular tv episode.

Death in Paradise - All seasons. 4/5 I would have given this 5/5 but the last couple seasons really got kind of wishy woshy lame, eventually the entire cast was slowly replaced and I just wasn't into the new characters that much.

Beyond Paradise All seasons (2) and this is still in production 4/5. This is based on one of the DSIs from Death in Paradise, I liked his character, he left Death in Paradise because it's filmed in Jamaica and he was tired of being away from his family, at first the rumors were he was leaving to be the latest Dr. Who but that wasn't the case, so he left the original show and got his own show based in England a few years later. Come to think of it the two DSIs before him in the series also left for family reasons.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Police Squad 5/5 (but then I'm a simpleton) Always loved the Guest Stars bit, they actually had one that was suppose to be used first with John Belushi where he was underwater weighted down by concrete blocks and drowned, during filming Belushi started to choke on water and they were all joking what if he actually died, the show aired on March 4th 1982, Belushi was found dead of an overdose on March 5th 1982, obviously they scraped the scene he shot and they used the William Conrad scene instead.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland

Interesting, we started watching it 2 nights ago and so far it's the first series in a LONG time which holds our attention, will finish it tonight. I will then get the books.

Side note: very accurate representation of the brutal "struggle sessions" during the Cultural Revolution in China. I think Chinese commies outdid the Russians for soul-destroying brutality.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
3 Body Problem update: finished it last night, first five episodes are great: on point pacing, world building, story arc. We were glued to the screen.

Last three episodes feel rushed, the pacing is totally out of whack, and the storyline becomes completely unrealistic (even if it is extreme SciFi overall, some logical progression should always be there). In fact in the last episode we were checking how much time is left to see if there’s a chance for a complete conclusion.

Still one of the better series we’ve watched.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
A movie I genuinely enjoy. It is from the great director Hayao Miyazaki and it's called "Kiki's Delivery Service". It is the joyous movie of a young witch who leaves those who raised her and move to a decent sized city not too far away to find her way in the world. It looks like a movie made for kids but it holds up extremely well for adults looking to watch a movie with their children.

5/5

https://www.imdb.com/chart/moviemeter/?ref_=tt_ov_pop
Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097814/mediaviewer/rm315211009/?ref_=tt_ov_i

Reactions: ssjones
Jun 9, 2018
England
The first trailer to Joker: Folie à Deux just dropped.

I really liked the first film and kinda wished they'd left it as a standalone movie, but it was so successful that a sequel was kind of inevitable. At least they're trying to do something different with it and it's great to see Joaquin as Joker, again 🤡.

Trailer: