PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I stopped after first episode. Too many good looking actors (mostly female) and Leiv Schreiber couldn't redeem it. Agree with karam. 3/5, Netflix.

Reactions: karam
Jun 9, 2018
England
Finished watching the series Underbelly Razor last night. Australian produced series about two matriarch’s of organised crime in the 20’s and 30’s in Sydney and is based on a true story, good viewing. I watched it on Stan which is an Ozzie streaming channel but I see it’s on Tubi and others as well.
‘Worth a watch and I give it 4 out of 5.
Warning: it does have plenty of nudity and language.
View attachment 336297
The first season of Underbelly is awesome. I've seen documentaries about what went on in real life and the series is pretty authentic.

Reactions: VDL_Piper

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
idiocracy-bo-kev.jpg

Some parts are funny as hell while others are simply in poor taste. Overall I rate it a 3 or 4 depending on your sense of humor. puffy

"In 2005, average in every way private Joe Bowers (Luke Wilson) is selected to take part in a secret military experiment to put him in hibernation for a year along with a woman named Rita (Maya Rudolph). The slumbering duo is forgotten when the base they are stored on is closed down and are left in s…''

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The first season of Underbelly is awesome. I've seen documentaries about what went on in real life and the series is pretty authentic.
Oh, yeah, there's also an Underbelly about the life of a belly dancer- pretty sure that's not what's referenced.

Is it a 7 season series —called in the US, just "Underbelly" [The word "razor" doesn't show up, unless it's the name of one of the eps.]

From the web page. "Each season of this multi-award-winning television series takes you through a 13-episode run in the rise and fall of real-life Australian underworld figures as told from both sides of the law."

If so, it's available in the States on FreeVee. Others for a price.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
There are quite a few series of the Underbelly genre. Tale of two cities, Razor, Squizzy et al. All explore Australia's underworld through the decades and all seem to be very good, well at least what I have seen so far.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Finished watching the series Underbelly Razor last night. Australian produced series about two matriarch’s of organised crime in the 20’s and 30’s in Sydney and is based on a true story, good viewing. I watched it on Stan which is an Ozzie streaming channel but I see it’s on Tubi and others as well.
‘Worth a watch and I give it 4 out of 5.
Warning: it does have plenty of nudity and language.
View attachment 336297
There are quite a few series of the Underbelly genre. Tale of two cities, Razor, Squizzy et al. All explore Australia's underworld through the decades and all seem to be very good, well at least what I have seen so far.
Most of them are a decent standard.

There's also an Australian tv mini series from the 1990's called Blue Murder. That tells the true story of corrupt cop Roger Rogerson and his team of detectives. They were in bed with some heavy duty criminals in the 1970's and 1980's. I read that he died recently. I really rate that one.

Here's a clip where they lure a corrupt lawyer they were working with onto a boat, tie a rope to his leg that has an old oven attached to the other end and throw him overboard. The lawyers name was Brian Alexander and unsurprisingly his body has never been found. Not a pleasant way to go☠️

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia

Most of them are a decent standard.

There's also an Australian tv mini series from the 1990's called Blue Murder. That tells the true story of corrupt cop Roger Rogerson and his team of detectives. They were in bed with some heavy duty criminals in the 1970's and 1980's. I read that he died recently. I really rate that one.

Here's a clip where they lure a corrupt lawyer they were working with onto a boat, tie a rope to his leg that has an old oven attached to the other end and throw him overboard. The lawyers name was Brian Alexander and unsurprisingly his body has never been found. Not a pleasant way to go☠️

I remember all the news about the more current stuff like Roger Rogerson, Robert Trimboli and Donald McKay and the Moran family in Melbourne, actually knew the Melbourne Police Commissioner Simon Overland at the hight of the Moran Family cleaning house and heard some interesting tales around campfires from him and others. What has interested me has been the older stuff during the war years etc, all a bit of a revelation to me and very interesting.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
I remember all the news about the more current stuff like Roger Rogerson, Robert Trimboli and Donald McKay and the Moran family in Melbourne, actually knew the Melbourne Police Commissioner Simon Overland at the hight of the Moran Family cleaning house and heard some interesting tales around campfires from him and others. What has interested me has been the older stuff during the war years etc, all a bit of a revelation to me and very interesting.
Sounds like you should write a book.... puffy

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Yet another Australian police procedural series, "Blue Heelers". This one, if the genre appeals, is worth watching, great cast with good writing. Not an episode below a four with more than couple of fives.

PS
A bit too soap opera in places. But not unacceptably so.

Last edited:

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Binging Dark Winds on Netflix, a police procedural set on an Indian reservation in the early 1970's. The writing, plotting, and casting are impeccable. 5/5
Coming from you I looked for it but sadly it's not there on Swiss Netflix :(

Tried to watch KAOS last night, I slept within 20 minutes, my wife said it's "ok" but wouldn't want to continue. Pity because it looks funny, there's again not much happening and Jeff Goldblum doesn't save it much even though he's an amazing actor.

Reactions: sablebrush52

SoupCan

Lurker
Sep 15, 2024
Kansas City, MO
I watched M (1931) last week. Directed by Fritz Lang, it's probably the pinnacle of German Expressionism and Wiemar era German cinema in general. Streaming on HBO Max. Very watchable even for the modern viewer considering it is coming up on 100 years old. Prodigious amounts of tobacco smoke including from pipes help set the aura. I think it is a particularly interesting watch for the pipe or cigar smoker.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
About half way into the first season. 3/5 It's a good series, but it gets off to a slow start. Lots of big names and really good acting, but also a lot of randomness. It is set in modern day Greece, as if the gods are real and people, and Jeff Goldblum plays an angry crazy Zeus. We will finish the series, but it's not one that I would be going around persuading people to watch. Netflix
1726749451344.png

Reactions: jpmcwjr