PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Are you rating this mainly on your not being convinced Alba's character could perform the actions needed? Or was the rest horrible?

Maybe it's a bridge too far- suspension of disbelief does have limits.
Watched for 30 min or so and decided I had better things to do like staring at my big toes.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I guess Carol Kane had a birthday recently and I was reading an article about her. It mentioned that she was nominated for an Academy Award for her role in her first full feature film called Hester Street. I'd never heard of it, so I looked it up and it's from 1975. I found it on Tubi a streaming service that is free. A really interesting film about Russian Jews in 1896 first coming to the US and trying to fit into life here. It's filmed in black and white which makes it seem more authentic, but it looks like it could have been filmed in 1935. The sets, lighting, costumes even the acting, all look like an old film from the 30's about life in the late nineteenth century. Everything looks rather rundown and gritty and not like it was filmed in 1975. Very well done! Only other character I recognized than Carol is Doris Roberts, Raymond's mom from his sitcom. Might be worth a watch. 5/5

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Alone History Channel; History Vault.

Question- While I see great locations, well filmed, and think I understand the concept of survival, I kinda just don't get it- seems very repetitive and slow. But that's me.
My son recommended it to me, and I don't know whether he was serious or pulling my chain.
Any comments from those who have watched may help my understanding.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm bouncing around all of the "Country Family Reunion" videos, back before rockets, lasers and such, just folks singing their hearts out. Man, all the great voices that are no longer with us. I'm a dottering old man, tears come easy to me when the memories are allowed to surface. 5's all around.:sher:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Some Like it Hot 1959 - Watched on Prime for free.

4/5

After two Chicago musicians, Joe and Jerry, witness the the St. Valentine's Day massacre, they want to get out of town and get away from the gangster responsible, Spats Colombo. They're desperate to get a gig out of town but the only job they know of is in an all-girl band heading to Florida. They show up at the train station as Josephine and Daphne, the replacement saxophone and bass players.

A lot of quotes out there by the cast how crappy it was to work with Monroe, she severely depressed and an addict, she would drink all day long on set, fight with Tony Curtis (whom she previously dated for a few weeks) and Director Billy Wilder. She was more often than not late to the set and there were days it would take several hours for her to film 2 lines.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
And yet, a grand movie with stellar performances by Monroe, Lemmon and Curtis. Makes one wonder how much of the disparaging remarks were real or imagined. But, there are many stories involving great movies where the principals didn't get along or failed to act professional. Hopper and her ilk were known to make stuff up. Hell, studios fabricated many such stories to get butts into the seats.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Out of boredom, and the heat 🥵, I started to watch the Mayor of Kingstown (series). With little to no expectations, I was pleasantly surprised but the lack of stereotypical TV minutiae. It’s about a power broker family serving as liaison between the local prison, law enforcement and community. Only 5 episodes in, but it has kept my ADD at bay so far- 4/5.

View attachment 320028
I'm a big fan of Kingstown, it's the same group who do Yellowstone. It doesn't pull many punches. The way the city is structured, along with the Mayor, PD and prison, makes no sense (we have three prisons in the town I live in) But, it makes for good violent fun.

I just finished Dark Matter. I had low expectations, Blake Crouch author adaptations don't hold up well. This one had me guessing the entire first season, 5/5. On Apple TV. Season 2 in the works, this will be where the wheels fall off I presume.

Reactions: STP

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I'm a big fan of Kingstown, it's the same group who do Yellowstone. It doesn't pull many punches. The way the city is structured, along with the Mayor, PD and prison, makes no sense (we have three prisons in the town I live in) But, it makes for good violent fun.

I just finished Dark Matter. I had low expectations, Blake Crouch author adaptations don't hold up well. This one had me guessing the entire first season, 5/5. On Apple TV. Season 2 in the works, this will be where the wheels fall off I presume.

Good timing. Just got a new iPad w/3 months of free Apple TV. I’ll have to check out Dark Matter 👍