PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've been working my way through the 2004-2009 series Battlestar Galactica for the past few weeks. Missed out on this one due to heavy operational tempo and several overseas deployments during those years. It's currently available on Amazon Prime. Absolutely fantastic! Wow! (5/5*)

View attachment 312953
The best sci-fi TV show of all time.

so-say-we-all-battlestar-galactica.gif

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Started Bodkin on Netflix last night. Irish, quirky, produced by the Obamas. Dark comedy, apparently.

It has Wicker Man vibes (the original, good one), it’s full of Irish cliches (but conscious and making fun of itself) and is slow yet all scenes have something happening.

4/5 so far.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Hope Street, North Ireland police procedural/soap opera. The characters are the most dysfunctional group of people, fascinating. Can't rate the series with one number. Some shows are 3's with a four here and there. Then, out of the blue is a five. Oddest series I've watched. :sher:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As part of my catching up on EMMY Award material, I just watched a special 98th birthday tribute to Dick Van Dyke. Two hours of pure joy, glorious music and dance, wonderful tributes from around the globe. The show was pure magic, all the better because Van Dyke arrived not knowing that this big production was planned for him. He thought he was showing up to be interviewed. His amazement and delight was the real deal. This was the most fun show I've watched in a long, long time.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Amadeus : Netflix but leaving soon. What a classic film! 40 years ago.
5/5

Note: You don't have to be a classic music buff to enjoy this! F Murray Abraham's acting is outstanding, and Hulce's pretty ok.

• Love
Reactions: David D. Davidson

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Just watched Civil War, give it 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟. Like that it stays politically neutral. The sences feel real. As a hobbyist photographer interested in photo journalism and struggles with candid photography, I found the storyline captivating. Definitely worth a watch. Even though it's still in theaters I watched it on Amazon, but would recommend going to the theater, which I am going to do.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Just watched Civil War, give it 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟. Like that it stays politically neutral. The sences feel real. As a hobbyist photographer interested in photo journalism and struggles with candid photography, I found the storyline captivating. Definitely worth a watch. Even though it's still in theaters I watched it on Amazon, but would recommend going to the theater, which I am going to do.
Wow, this does look good.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I've been binging on a Prime video selection called Blue Heelers. It's a police drama series about small town policing in Australia and it's 30 yrs old. I like the characters, the dialogue, the plot lines, the new to me usages of the English language, and its theme music. Good on ya!

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Just finished up season 2 of Hidden Assets and it is very good and I can't wait for season 3. Watched on SBS (Oz) but also on Acorn etc.......Solid 5/5 after season 2
Unknown.jpeg

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
The Beekeeper 3.5 out 5

I guess tough times are hitting us all and even Jason S needs the cash. A lot of destruction and killing, but just "dragged you in", a movie you could easily get up to get a drink and not bother pausing it. For comparison I think he does good "action" movies which are usually 4 to 4.5 (which for action movies is a 5 for other movies). I got the free MGM+ trial subscription so at least i didn't pay to watch it.

The part of Agent Verona Parker was horribly written and horribly acted. It's rare to find an action movie like that which such a poor supporting actor. After thinking about suffering through her acting i've changed my rating to 3/5.

Anyone else seen this? Opinions?

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Beekeeper 3.5 out 5

I guess tough times are hitting us all and even Jason S needs the cash. A lot of destruction and killing, but just "dragged you in", a movie you could easily get up to get a drink and not bother pausing it. For comparison I think he does good "action" movies which are usually 4 to 4.5 (which for action movies is a 5 for other movies). I got the free MGM+ trial subscription so at least i didn't pay to watch it.

The part of Agent Verona Parker was horribly written and horribly acted. It's rare to find an action movie like that which such a poor supporting actor. After thinking about suffering through her acting i've changed my rating to 3/5.

Anyone else seen this? Opinions?
It was bad, just really bad. Similar to "Station Chief". They love turning out this kind of crap lately.

Reactions: jpmcwjr