PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Shaolin Traitorous 4/5 Hard to give martial arts movies a 5/5 unless they are one of the classics like The 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

This stars veteran martial arts actor Carter Wong, one of the easily recognizable stars of the genre. He was also Thunder in Big Trouble in Little China

Thunder_20_Big_20Trouble_20in_20Little_20China__large.jpg

If you don't remember him, he's the one that exploded. He exploded real good.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
New Zealand television, The Brokenwood Mysteries, find it on Prime. An hilarious, police procedure series. Some continuing characters are outstanding creations. Fascinating plot lines for the most part. Five for five.

Oh, it has its serious moments also. Well worth viewing.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Too much bother for some apparently

It's a UK (North Ireland) police procedural and is available on Prime I believe.
From "Justwatch.com", it says: "Currently you are able to watch "Blue Lights" streaming on Britbox Apple TV Channel , BritBox, BritBox Amazon Channel."

Justwatch generally is on the money as to where you can watch in the States....at least the lower ones! :)

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
New Zealand television, The Brokenwood Mysteries, find it on Prime. An hilarious, police procedure series. Some continuing characters are outstanding creations. Fascinating plot lines for the most part. Five for five.

Oh, it has its serious moments also. Well worth viewing.
Was going to start watching this as I’ve blown through all the English murder mystery cops drama comedy shows ended up watching The Doctor Blake Murders series first though, this is still on my radar though, specially since Death Beyond Paradise is done for the season.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Was going to start watching this as I’ve blown through all the English murder mystery cops drama comedy shows ended up watching The Doctor Blake Murders series first though, this is still on my radar though, specially since Death Beyond Paradise is done for the season.
Blown through all of 'em? I've watched hundreds, maybe thousands but there alway seems to be thousands more....

Now, all of Brit Box, or Passport, or Netflix, etc., I could more easily believe.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Blown through all of 'em? I've watched hundreds, maybe thousands but there alway seems to be thousands more....

Now, all of Brit Box, or Passport, or Netflix, etc., I could more easily believe.
Started with Marple and watched those, Then Death in Paradise made it through 11 seasons till the how just got a little too preachy for me and i lost interest in the characters, then picked up Beyond Death in Paradise because i really like Kris Marshall in the role (he would have been a brilliant Dr Who and I watched all of My Family because he was in it as well). I moved on to Midsomer Murder Mysteries and watched all of the seasons of those, from there I watched Morse, even thought i couldn't get into it so I went and watched 5 seasons of Father Brown but let's face it how many times can he catch a murderer that is also a devote religious person and confesses in a church, so then I picked up watching Lewis and enjoyed that so doubled back to watch Morse and finished that out, then of course it was on to Endevor. Once i finished those I figured I would watch Murder She, Wrote which was the American version on the cottage mysteries, it wasn't bad, I was more impressed with the guest stars because those were my tv golden years, then it was back to BritBox and Broadchurch, loved the David Tennant Dr Who so did a season of that but didn't feel like having to buy season 2 at the time. I am sure there are a couple other series I'm forgetting.

Oh the Sherlock Holmes with Benedict C and Martin Freeman i really enjoyed, plus watched a couple of the other Sherlock Holmes series as well. haha Thank god for BritBox

Reactions: warren and jpmcwjr

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Enjoying a delicious IMP full of WCC Rougaroux 🐺 whilst watching one of my favorites The Day of the Jackal. It story dramatizes the circumstances that surrounding the plot to assassinate former French President Charles de Gaulle in 1962. 4/5 highly recommended. ☕
View attachment 312422
Love this movie and I also like the modern iteration with Gere, Willis and Poitier.

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Enjoying a delicious IMP full of WCC Rougaroux 🐺 whilst watching one of my favorites The Day of the Jackal. It story dramatizes the circumstances that surrounding the plot to assassinate former French President Charles de Gaulle in 1962. 4/5 highly recommended. ☕
View attachment 312422
I watched that a couple of weeks ago, I had never seen this movie (recorded it in TCM). When I was in 9th grade (1975) we studied this book in English, with a teacher who changed my life. We had to get parental permission to read this book because of the sex scenes. I couldn't believe that I had never seen the movie (5/5!)

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I watched that a couple of weeks ago, I had never seen this movie (recorded it in TCM). When I was in 9th grade (1975) we studied this book in English, with a teacher who changed my life. We had to get parental permission to read this book because of the sex scenes. I couldn't believe that I had never seen the movie (5/5!)
🤣…funny how time softens sex…In 1975 I’m sure that those naked lady scenes would’ve been considered very risqué.
Side note … 2 actors that starred in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett made appearances in this movie….Edward Hardwicke (Watson) & Eric Porter (Moriarty) . ☕

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I blame Acorn TV, found a new mystery series to watching, the Murdoch Mysteries. 21 seasons!

Based on novels by Maureen Jennings, "Murdoch Mysteries" follows young detective William Murdoch. In a series of stories taking place in Toronto during the 1890s and early 1900s, several challenging murder cases arise. Murdoch uses up-and-coming forensics techniques and an unconventional approach, which often elicit skepticism from his fellow officers and his boss. Coroner Julia Ogden becomes Murdoch's number one ally, and they make a top-notch team, but he must struggle against tradition and prejudice to solve some of the city's most-gruesome murders.

They spend a lot of time saying "I had an idea to invent ______" and people saying it will never catch on and of course it's always something mainstream today. They also mix in a lot of well known people of that period.

So far (just 3 episodes in) I give it 4/5 stars.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
🤣…funny how time softens sex…In 1975 I’m sure that those naked lady scenes would’ve been considered very risqué.
Side note … 2 actors that starred in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett made appearances in this movie….Edward Hardwicke (Watson) & Eric Porter (Moriarty) . ☕
For us, in 9th grade, it was the book, it had some descriptive sex scenes, but I think mostly in French. But I guess my first year teacher didn't want to offend any parents. That one went on to be the director for the Maryland Board of Education, so we got lucky with her and she really fostered in me, a love of reading. (thanks Mrs Trader!)