Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Finally got up the courage to try a bowl of my oldest tobacco*, a pouch of Douwe Egberts Full Aroma Amphora I would have purchased about 1987 (when I first dabbled with pipes in college) and has been open since then (folded up of course). Contents look good, though fairly dry. Lit right up and not bad..not bad at all! In the Falcon Meer with decaf au lait.
IMG_3284.jpg *I also have a large jar some unknown tobacco my father had in an unsealed glass container from about 1970... I recall him smoking it back then, a vanilla something. Looks like a (Captain Black Gold or LL MV-1000) it is crispy dry, but no mold was seen through any of it. I may or may not try some when the weather improves.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
GLP Barbary Coast -- cubed burley, red Virginia, Perique, and light brandy flavoring -- in an Iwan Ries house pipe, circa 1970's, made by Edwards Benton line of oil cured Algerian briar, a Canadian with a big chamber. My wife noticed that our red azaleas are already in bloom, and i noticed the yellow pollen dust is accumulating on my hatchback. I like the way the burley base brings this blend together.

After a smoke, I need to clean out the car. It's getting messy.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Before teatime had to get little bit of Mc Barens ODF in a Blakemar Briars UK Litchbruyer squat bulldog.
View attachment 206741
And that reminds, I'd like to pick up one of these Litchbruyer pipes -- ideally with a visit to the shop, but looks like our next visit to UK will not have Northhampton area on the schedule. In June will be spending a week based in Taunton--anyone know any B&M or pipemakers down in that neck of the country?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Did a second set of walking reps, and smoked a bowl of year 2015 D&R A.B. Rimboche in an undated slight bend, smooth flame grain Wessex Standard egg with a brown accent on the black vulcanite saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Wessex_bent.jpg

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Finally got up the courage to try a bowl of my oldest tobacco*, a pouch of Douwe Egberts Full Aroma Amphora I would have purchased about 1987 (when I first dabbled with pipes in college) and has been open since then (folded up of course). Contents look good, though fairly dry. Lit right up and not bad..not bad at all! In the Falcon Meer with decaf au lait.
View attachment 206748 *I also have a large jar some unknown tobacco my father had in an unsealed glass container from about 1970... I recall him smoking it back then, a vanilla something. Looks like a (Captain Black Gold or LL MV-1000) it is crispy dry, but no mold was seen through any of it. I may or may not try some when the weather improves.
Over 35 years old in an opened pouch. That's wild! Glad to hear that it still smokes good. Looking forward to the report on the over 50 year old stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.