PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A third of a bowl left of KBV Festivus VaPer beta test in a 1978 Peterson Deluxe 20S medium bend smooth dark brown billiard with a silver cap military mount black vulcanite saddle stem and p-lip. The outdoor feral cat who hurt his leg came back, and is doing better. Poor little fella was hungry as a horse, but not now.
PetersonDeluxe20S_1978_P-Lip copy.jpg

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
There is another word, a neutral one, in Greek "τσιμπούκι" ("tsimbouki") - sounds like "cheemboukee". This comes from the Turkish "çubuk", Greeks have lived under (together with) the Turks for 400 years, and hundreds Turkish words are used in Greek. But "çubuk" in Turkish does not mean smoking pipe, it means a wooden stick or a tree branch. This makes sense if you think of the very long pipes of the Ottoman Empire era (as presented in paintings and drawings). Anyway, this second word ("tsimbouki") is seldom used anymore, everybody say "pipa".
This is interesting and makes me wonder if the words 'cachimbo' (pron. 'catsimbou') and 'cachimba,' used in Portuguese and Spanish languages for 'pipe,' aren't etymologically related.

chefmike

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
Currently smoking a bowl of McConnell Scotch flake out of a Sav Oscar that has a super glue repaired shank. We are being classy. I am drinking Jumex peach, lime juice and vodka, watching Juvenitis VS Lazio with my son. Wife is suffering second dose Moderna side effects (not complaining) and ordering some asian from a local place for dinner. Good start to spring break. Oh, already killed a little Pegasus and some East India cellar reserve out of a Pete Kapet I love. Drinking a Lonestar. Before cleaning hair out of drains around the house...

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
GBD XTRA on the shank . . . rounded bowl rim only seen, in my experience, on pipe bowls produced during the 1920s and 1930s
1615052835809.png
"GBD Xtra and GBD Speciale were very early models whose names indicated special final treatments and / or fitments. The standard quality was stamped simply with GBD" (from Pipedia)
The above GBD XTRA catalogue page is apparently from the 1950s so the XTRA model clearly had a long life or it was born again after apparently having been discontinued in the late 1930s . . . as for the Xtra being a "very early model" I'd have expected to see it listed in the 1895 Harrods brochure which it isn't

GBD and AO (Adolphe OPPENHEIMER for A.OPPENHEIMER & CO - pipe mounter) on the ferrule with marks for London 1917
GBD XTRA on the stem
20210306_160459.jpg

+ Sobranie RESERVE BLEND ORIGINAL VIRGINIA MIXTURE:-
20210306_160027.jpg

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Peterson Nightcap in my
Three examples (one out of the book "Ye Smokiana: Historical Ethnographical - Pipes of all Nations" by R.T. Pritchett first published 1889/1890 . . . a disappointing book with no pipes made of briar despite briar pipes having been around for a good thirty tears before the book was published)

View attachment 69302 View attachment 69303 View attachment 69304

... and speaking about wooden sticks and tree branches
View attachment 69307
Boy, now that is too cool! I'm thinking in order to drill that stem you might use a heated coat hanger that you have taken apart and repeatedly heating it in a fire or via a torch and working your way down. Just a guess.
Very cool IMHO

chefmike

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
Just reloaded with a jar of ABUSED PS cube cut that has been on the porch for 1.5 years. Really dang tasty from the light. Game is about over and need to run to town to pick up dinner. Singapore noodles, with instructions to not spare the heat. PS cube cut could be my desert island blend. Might need to buy 5lb bags like chasingembers...

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I’m going old school before bed with a 09 Charles Maas Calabash (it’s been in a box, I forgot I had the bloody thing) with some more of the Royal Yacht, this I can get into even though I’m not usually keen on straight Va’s. A lot more body and depth than I thought it would, at least this gamble paid off. Hang on, I’m getting a little rum to go with this image.jpg
That’s better

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Started with some GH&C Scotch Flake in a CAO meer with a glass of 2009 10 year old Normandin-Mercier Grande Champagne Cognac while in the pool. Latin pop hits playing on youtube.

Followed by 2x bowls of DT Ascanian No 2 in a MM diplomat apple cob with a double glass of Drambuie on the rocks. 80s rock hits on youtube playing in the background.

Enough water.

Now enjoying some Penzance that was jarred 6/14 for the very first smoke in this exquisite Rolando Negoita (thank you Marty Pulver!) with a glass of 29 year old Glen Fohdry Scotch poolside. American Pie playing in the background!

IMG_20210306_164653687.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.