PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Half way through this bowl of 2021 Watch City Simply VOriental in a straight smooth medium brown 1930s Wilshire 5 bulldog (Comoy’s second) made for John’s Pipe Shop in Los Angeles with a black vulcanite saddle stem.
View attachment 226663
I remember John's Pipe Shop on Hollywood Boulevard near Highland Avenue in the '60's when I was in my younger years. I didn't smoke, so I never went inside. LA had quite a few pipe shops back then. Unfortunately, now, the only places left are cigar lounges with a small handful of pipes on display.

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
I remember John's Pipe Shop on Hollywood Boulevard near Highland Avenue in the '60's when I was in my younger years. I didn't smoke, so I never went inside. LA had quite a few pipe shops back then. Unfortunately, now, the only places left are cigar lounges with a small handful of pipes on display.
I grew up in LA county and never saw a single pipe smoker outside let alone a pipe shop. My dad had one friend who had a pipe collection and he was considered an oddity. This was 87-05 sad how times change so quickly.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I grew up in LA county and never saw a single pipe smoker outside let alone a pipe shop. My dad had one friend who had a pipe collection and he was considered an oddity. This was 87-05 sad how times change so quickly.
In the Hollywood/Hollywood adjacent area alone, there were at least three pipe shops back in the day. In addition to John's there was one on the Sunset Strip, and one opposite the Farmer's Market, John's also had a shop in downtown LA, and there were several shops in Beverly Hills, the original Tinder Box in Santa Monica (all closed now) and at least a dozen or more shops in the San Fernando Valley. The only one left that I can think of that had a decent selection of pipes is the Cigar Warehouse in Sherman Oaks; although it changed hands several years ago and I haven't been there in four or five years, so I don't even know if they still sell pipes. It is sad, indeed.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
2022 Grousemoor in a MM Apple Diplomat with a Forever stem.

If the batches stay consistent to what I’m smoking, this is an amazing light all day aromatic. Like light lemon tea, with a herbal side to it, slightly floral earthy, but absolutely remarkable.

Put this one on your radar boys and girls, if you like light lemon tea like flavors. ;)

Seeing all those tea pot pictures of @isaac liu, now this I would absolutely think he would enjoy! Try to buy Grousemoor! ;)

For all the tea lovers, this one is for @isaac liu :)

Be well everyone! ❤️

5BF628FD-9291-4C47-936F-3A600508643E.jpeg

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Passing the half way mark on this bowl of Mac Baren HH Burley Flake in a straight smooth dark brown 1918 Pre-Republic Peterson’s Dublin 2 apple with a silver band and a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. Unless the ferals take more of my time than expected, I'll end the day with this smoke. Reading baseball box scores.
Peterson_PR_Dublin2_apple.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.