PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
KC flake in a clay. Got this recently along with a white clay, both with vulcanite stems. I love the way clay pipes smoke, but dislike the clay stem. View attachment 84667@FurCoat I enjoyed the Kendal Cream Flake I got from @tozert in my clay pipes; I think Gawith flakes are well suited to clays!

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
Early 20th century Bent with fish trademark (unidentified) and electro-plated ferrule
1623797074565.png
20200914_160948_resized (2).jpg

From one extreme to the other - and of course everything in between - there was a Bent Billiard for everyone and for every occasion.

Alongside an unidentified B.C reading pipe from 1889 and a very chunky F&T (Fribourg & Treyer) from 1911 sitting in a 1960s/1970s Savinelli plywood and leather pipe rack
20210615_120556.jpg
20210615_120641.jpg

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
65123018-E789-4809-ADD3-A194A2C45687_1_105_c.jpeg
A few hours ago, outside of signal range, a quick bowl of Bright Virginia (again) in my "Italy" stamped small-sized travel pipe (will get around to getting a photo of it) -- at about 7,700 feet on the side of Mt. Shasta in Northern California, with this as my view. A quick 15 minute pause on an eventual 9-mile hike, topped out around 8,000 feet.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Good morning everyone, I want to warn any Brits thinking of ordering from Estervals, I just got a £200 Customs bill for six tins of tobacco. I either pay (which will work out at around £50/$75 a tin) or I lose the tobacco and the £70 I paid for it.
Even winning a alligator covered Longchamp on eBay just now can’t take the sting out of this news.
I also just got my tin of 2016 Dunhill 221b, if anyone wants to buy it from me I’m only asking £200. ?
I’m smoking Tuskegee Airman in the Kiko meer poker with my coffee this morning, Prozac and Valium instead of milk and sugar today ?
I just finished an unpleasant experience with DHL concerning my Esterval's order.An agent for DHL here in the states contacted me by email and told me that I needed to do the following:
1) Obtain a Tobacco permit
2) Fill out an import power of attorney.
3) Provide one other US tax form that I can't recall the name of at this point.
I only had a 500 gr. Order.
To my knowledge, a tobacco permit is needed if you are a SELLER,so none of it made any sense to me.I emailed back saying that I am a private citizen,and not a business,and that the tobacco was for my personal use. No explanation came, just another demand.I emailed the CEO of Esterval's as well,and all he said was that there had been many changes since my last order (March 2020),but no guidance.I thought of hiring an import/customs attorney for even more$$$$$$,just to help me through this.In the end, I just sent an email to DHL telling them just to send it back to Esterval's,as I was not prepared to share my private information with them. As of this day,I have not received an invoice for any customs duty.So,I am finished with Esterval's, unless I go there in person to make a purchase,and how often does one travel to Hardebek,Germany??

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
Trippin' down memory lane
View attachment 84569
Thanks! Yes, that's how I remember it, although not sure Mr. Walter was on duty when I was there. It was overwhelming and so glad I had the Pounds to buy my Author. I understand their pipes were made for them by Dunhill and others. You didn't find anything that was stamped Ashley's with a pit or any flaw. The place was "old English", top quality, gentleman gentleman's shop of another era. On other visits I could only wish they were still fitting gentlemen with proper smoking implements.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Thanks! Yes, that's how I remember it, although not sure Mr. Walter was on duty when I was there. It was overwhelming and so glad I had the Pounds to buy my Author. I understand their pipes were made for them by Dunhill and others. You didn't find anything that was stamped Ashley's with a pit or any flaw. The place was "old English", top quality, gentleman gentleman's shop of another era. On other visits I could only wish they were still fitting gentlemen with proper smoking implements.
I purchased two pipes from Astley's in June 1998.Paul Bentley was the manager at that time.A real gentleman,he was.Mr. Bentley even arranged to have one of my other pipes repaired during my stay in London.?

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I just finished an unpleasant experience with DHL concerning my Esterval's order.An agent for DHL here in the states contacted me by email and told me that I needed to do the following:
1) Obtain a Tobacco permit
2) Fill out an import power of attorney.
3) Provide one other US tax form that I can't recall the name of at this point.
I only had a 500 gr. Order.
To my knowledge, a tobacco permit is needed if you are a SELLER,so none of it made any sense to me.I emailed back saying that I am a private citizen,and not a business,and that the tobacco was for my personal use. No explanation came, just another demand.I emailed the CEO of Esterval's as well,and all he said was that there had been many changes since my last order (March 2020),but no guidance.I thought of hiring an import/customs attorney for even more$$$$$$,just to help me through this.In the end, I just sent an email to DHL telling them just to send it back to Esterval's,as I was not prepared to share my private information with them. As of this day,I have not received an invoice for any customs duty.So,I am finished with Esterval's, unless I go there in person to make a purchase,and how often does one travel to Hardebek,Germany??
Yes,sad indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.