PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
Good evening All
A bowl of Samuel Gawith’s Squadron Leader in a Blakemar Briars. Seen this little chap on the way home from work. Hope she doesn’t get turned inside out by badgers she is heavily pregnant. It’s a hedgehog and closely related to our native haggis ?
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer
View attachment 84646
I've never come across one in the wild so I guess I'll just have to make do with this
20210615_185729.jpg
20210615_185447.jpg20210615_185612.jpg

Thanks! Yes, that's how I remember it, although not sure Mr. Walter was on duty when I was there. It was overwhelming and so glad I had the Pounds to buy my Author. I understand their pipes were made for them by Dunhill and others. You didn't find anything that was stamped Astley's with a pit or any flaw. The place was "old English", top quality, gentleman gentleman's shop of another era. On other visits I could only wish they were still fitting gentlemen with proper smoking implements.
He was there when I used to pop in but apart from a couple of their briars I only went in for their #99 Royal Tudor Full Latakia Blend.
I do remember their fantastic collection of carved meerschaum pipes on display and not for sale - not that I was in the market for such things preferring plain uncarved meerschaums to fancy.

I don't know the situation in The States regarding traditional tobacconists but the last time I checked in the UK nearly all the big names from Carnaby Street (Inderwick's) to the Burlington Arcade (Sullivan Powell and H. Simmons), from Burlington Gardens (J. J. Fox) down Old Bond Street (B&H) to Piccadilly (Bewlay's), from Jermyn Street (Charatan and Astleys) to The Haymarket (Fribourg & Treyer) to Charing Cross Road (G. Smith & Sons) all the shops I used to visit on Saturday have disappeared.
The pipe tobacco situation here in the UK is not great with even recently introduced blends discontinued after only a few years . . . with so many interesting blends talked about on this forum it makes me a teeny bit sad that I'll never get the chance to try any of them.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, sword fish and sugar snap peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm smoking Watch City Glass Slipper Micro-Batch in a 2003 medium bent straight grain military mount Two dot 2 P. Ardor Venere Extra Bucaneve dublin signed by Dorelio Rovera with a silver ferrule and a black acrylic stem. The blend will be released in early July. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Watching the Braves-Red Sox game and making review notes on what I'm smoking.
2003_Two dot 2 P. Ardor Venere Extra Bucaneve .jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011

Gawith Hoggarth & Co.: Brown Bogie in a Meer...
yMjMjKn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.