Sep 7, 2019
2021 HH Burley Flake in a Dunhill Cumberland

52890776714_59e5bf1b9d_o.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Peterson University Flake in a clay for the first smoke of the day. View attachment 323508
@Speak Easy I love your clay pipe photos; glad your clay is still smokable! One of the Redcoats I met at the International Living History Festival FILLED my clay with Peterson Connoisseur's Choice, tamped it down and managed to get some more in! I'll have to get a tin myself as it was a good smoke in Ye Olde Clay!

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Realized I only had one Vaper open and that just wouldn't do.. Consulted spreadsheet and aha! an aged Escudo was in the cellar, picked up in trade from a fellow board member last year. OK! Since first time with a legendary blend, I figured a good time to break in a new unsmoked pipe that had been in the drawer for a couple years... So. Double firsts: 2012 Escudo in a Richard Mason Strawberrywood Large Apple. Took three coins like it was made for 'em. Now enjoying a bit of bliss. puffy
IMG_7741.jpg IMG_7740.jpg IMG_7736.jpg IMG_7735.jpg IMG_7732.jpg

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
@Speak Easy I love your clay pipe photos; glad your clay is still smokable! One of the Redcoats I met at the International Living History Festival FILLED my clay with Peterson Connoisseur's Choice, tamped it down and managed to get some more in! I'll have to get a tin myself as it was a good smoke in Ye Olde Clay!
Thank you, sir!

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
@khiddy Nice clay and leather pipe rest!
Thank you, sir! I got the pipe rest via Ravenwood Fine Provisions, along with a 50g bag of his Hobbit's Leaf and Leaves of Athelas blends. I think that package arrived the same week that I went to see the extended versions of LOTR on the big screen. Nearly 12 hours in the theater that week!

And I am a big fan of clay pipes, I find that they smoke dry, even if kind of sharp. I think of it as the mouthfeel equivalent of cranking up the treble in an audio mix.

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Smoking some Old Gowrie for the first time and I really like it.
My first tin arrived this week, I haven't yet opened it but I will do so over the weekend. I am intrigued by the claim that it's similar to the Murray-made version of Dunhill's Royal Yacht. RY is one of my favorite blends, so I have every expectation that I'll like OG.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Gorgeous pipe!

@TheIronMonkey, is he right in his assessment of the pipe being a flawed Giubileo?

That is probably correct, at least when it comes to the smooth versions—I know that the very first two Savinelli Luisa Fiammata pipes, a 904 (No. 1) and a 920 (No. 2, the one I bought) would have been given Giubileo d’Oro designations had it not been for flaws on their shanks; instead, the flaws were covered with .925 silver bands and issued in boxes. I almost bought the 904 because I liked the idea of getting a No. 1 stamped pipe, but I don’t like the modern 904 shape as much as the slimmer earlier versions. I also waited too long to grab both, but the No. 2 became available again (it may have gotten pulled for the Savinelli archives, then ultimately released back to the public).

Status
Not open for further replies.