PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
When they were first released, I was debating getting one of two Savinelli Luisa Fiammata Smooth Limited Edition pipes (there were fifty smooth pipes in the numbered edition; the rest of the run, about 150 or so, sandblasted and not numbered). I really liked the idea of getting the No. 1, but I couldn’t justify the expenditure at the time; in addition, the shape was a 904 KS (with a saddle stem), and I find the more recent shaping of the 904 a little clunky as compared to the sleeker, more graceful early versions. This made me hesitate. No. 2 was a 920 KS, a shape I didn’t have, but getting number 2/50 seemed a little less interesting than 1/50. This made me hesitate. Both shapes are favourites of Luisa Bozzetti, the now retired factory manager of Savinelli for whom the line of pipes is named.

The grain on both pipes was better than usual and both were originally intended to be Giubileo d’Oro releases, but they had small flaws on the shanks that prevented them from achieving that high grade. Rather than relegating these pipes to the sandblasting assigned to the unnumbered portion of the run, they were given .925 silver bands to cover the flaws and remained smooth and were issued in custom wooden boxes (I believe the other forty-eight smooth pipes were issued in blue leather boxes, much like the Punto Oro releases).

Anyway, I waited too long, and both disappeared from the site. End of debate. He who hesitates is lost. However, the 920 KS reappeared about a month ago and I was able to reserve it and now have it in hand (it may have been held back for the archives at Savinelli, then they decided against that, if I understand what was explained to me). Anyway, that’s the back story on this particular pipe.

I’m going to have Savinelli Doblone d’Oro in a Savinelli Luisa Fiammata Smooth Bent Dublin 920 KS, No. 2 of 50 (unfiltered stem). The black bag is similar, but a thicker, rougher material than the one my 60th Birthday pipe came in.

IMG_20230707_115928.jpg

IMG_20230707_120015.jpg

IMG_20230707_120041.jpg

IMG_20230707_120115.jpg

IMG_20230707_120558.jpg

IMG_20230707_120413__01.jpg

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
When they were first released, I was debating getting one of two Savinelli Luisa Fiammata Smooth Limited Edition pipes (there were fifty smooth pipes in the numbered edition; the rest of the run, about 150 or so, sandblasted and not numbered). I really liked the idea of getting the No. 1, but I couldn’t justify the expenditure at the time; in addition, the shape was a 904 KS (with a saddle stem), and I find the more recent shaping of the 904 a little clunky as compared to the sleeker, more graceful early versions. This made me hesitate. No. 2 was a 920 KS, a shape I didn’t have, but getting number 2/50 seemed a little less interesting than 1/50. This made me hesitate. Both shapes are favourites of Luisa Bozzetti, the now retired factory manager of Savinelli for whom the line of pipes is named.

The grain on both pipes was better than usual and both were originally intended to be Giubileo d’Oro releases, but they had small flaws on the shanks that prevented them from achieving that high grade. Rather than relegating these pipes to the sandblasting assigned to the unnumbered portion of the run, they were given .925 silver bands to cover the flaws and remained smooth and were issued in custom wooden boxes (I believe the other forty-eight smooth pipes were issued in blue leather boxes, much like the Punto Oro releases).

Anyway, I waited too long, and both disappeared from the site. End of debate. He who hesitates is lost. However, the 920 KS reappeared about a month ago and I was able to reserve it and now have it in hand (it may have been held back for the archives at Savinelli, then they decided against that, if I understand what was explained to me). Anyway, that’s the back story on this particular pipe.

I’m going to have Savinelli Doblone d’Oro in a Savinelli Luisa Fiammata Smooth Bent Dublin 920 KS, No. 2 of 50 (unfiltered stem). The black bag is similar, but a thicker, rougher material than the one my 60th Birthday pipe came in.

View attachment 231903

View attachment 231904

View attachment 231905

View attachment 231906

View attachment 231907

View attachment 231908
Great catch! That really is a beauty!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter of a bowl left of Sutliff Pipe Force Episode IV in a 1960s Austrian meerschaum bent apple with a tapered yellow acrylic stem. Just posted my review of this blend at TR and here. It goes on sale July 12. Lunch follows this smoke. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Austrian_meer_apple.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.