PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dublinpiper90

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
Didn't sleep much, so I got up, fed Harry the Hairy, and am almost a third of the way through this bowl of year 2020 D&R Penhooker Silver in a straight smooth brown undated pre-Republic Peterson Shamrock 263 Canadian with a nickel band and a tapered black p-lip stem.
View attachment 325621
Jim I have a 264 Shamrock, do you know anyone/where I can obtain a replacement stem for it by chance? Great looking Pete by the way

das3353

Lifer
Sep 7, 2019
2021 HH Burley Flake in a Radice Silk Cut

53859780254_d14011f6fc_k.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Earlier, I smoked a bowl of year 2021 Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Evening Flake in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson Ebony POTY 4AB No. 422/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem.
4AB_Ebony.jpg

Then, I smoked a bowl of year 2016 Sutliff 507-C Slices in a sandblasted medium bend 1950s Reuben era Charatan Deluxe 11 billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Watching the Braves-Reds game.
Charatan_Deluxe_11_right .jpg

PM must be acting up. It took me almost fifteen minutes to load this post.

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
I don't mind opinions. The hardest thing I experience in pipe smoking is figuring out what blend or genre to dedicate a pipe. I have a lot of estate pipes that I cleaned just waiting on me to figure out what to smoke in them. I'm obviously very picky about that.

Much of the problem is that these pipes came to me years after I had matched pipes to blends. As I noted, I have six pipes dedicated to Dunhill Elizabethan Match, and I try to rotate them depending on my mood, so why add another pipe to that scenario? And there are some blends that I like that I only enjoy in smaller bowls.

I have plenty of pipes dedicated to English blends so I don't need to add to that genre. Same goes for aromatics.

The old pipes, pre-1950s, I prefer untopped blends so I can take advantage of what old wood brings to my smoking experience. That greatly narrows the field for choices.

Here are two examples of bigger pipes that I want to smoke, but can't decide what to dedicate them to.

Peterson Irish Whiskey XL90.
View attachment 325666

This Pierluigi is a big one. There's not many blends I want to smoke for that long a period, which greatly limits my choices.
View attachment 325667

And I have several Ardors and Rinaldos that I inherited that I don't smoke because they are giant size. Never smoked the middle one, but the other two are among the best smokers I have, too. I smoked vintage Three Nuns in that last Ardor, and it was the best it ever tasted, but it took almost two hours to do it. That's a long time for me with any blend, even VaPer Three Nuns.
View attachment 325669
View attachment 325670
View attachment 325671
I've discovered that I really prefer Sillem's Black in a large bowl