PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
Jim, I’d say a bowl of ED G Robinson always fits the bill
For a fraction of a second, I considered offering that one can never go wrong with a VaPer. But then I realized that the temerity of me actually suggesting something to Jim would be tantamount to a Private fresh out of Basic Training suggesting munitions to a Brigadier General (!).
NOTE: My US Army years still fresh ....

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am a third of the way through this bowl of Watch City English Ernie-ental in a straight dark brown and tan rusticated Peterson 2023 Saint Patrick’s Day 264 Canadian with an Irish flag colored ferrule and tapered black acrylic stem. Lavazza Classico, neat, is my drink.
Peterson_St. Patrick's_Canadian264.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
For a fraction of a second, I considered offering that one can never go wrong with a VaPer. But then I realized that the temerity of me actually suggesting something to Jim would be tantamount to a Private fresh out of Basic Training suggesting munitions to a Brigadier General (!).
NOTE: My US Army years still fresh ....
I don't mind opinions. The hardest thing I experience in pipe smoking is figuring out what blend or genre to dedicate a pipe. I have a lot of estate pipes that I cleaned just waiting on me to figure out what to smoke in them. I'm obviously very picky about that.

Much of the problem is that these pipes came to me years after I had matched pipes to blends. As I noted, I have six pipes dedicated to Dunhill Elizabethan Match, and I try to rotate them depending on my mood, so why add another pipe to that scenario? And there are some blends that I like that I only enjoy in smaller bowls.

I have plenty of pipes dedicated to English blends so I don't need to add to that genre. Same goes for aromatics.

The old pipes, pre-1950s, I prefer untopped blends so I can take advantage of what old wood brings to my smoking experience. That greatly narrows the field for choices.

Here are two examples of bigger pipes that I want to smoke, but can't decide what to dedicate them to.

Peterson Irish Whiskey XL90.
Peterson_Irish WhiskeyXL90- billiard.jpg

This Pierluigi is a big one. There's not many blends I want to smoke for that long a period, which greatly limits my choices.
Pierluigi_SS_egg.jpg

And I have several Ardors and Rinaldos that I inherited that I don't smoke because they are giant size. Never smoked the middle one, but the other two are among the best smokers I have, too. I smoked vintage Three Nuns in that last Ardor, and it was the best it ever tasted, but it took almost two hours to do it. That's a long time for me with any blend, even VaPer Three Nuns.
Rinaldo Egea Megas 04.jpg
Ardor Urano John Eells Giant egg .jpg
Ardor_2Dot_Extra GiantFantasy#1.jpg

Last edited:

Briarcutter

Can't Leave
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
A few after dinner puffs of some Sutliffe navy flake 507-C in the Vauen olaf bent egg with 9mm filter in the lawnchair in the backyard when a screech owl flew under the tree canopy from the maple in front of me to the maple on the hillside at about head height ... if i hadn't seen it I wouldn't have known it was there as they are completely silent flyers. When I went back inside it flew under the canopy to the oak behind the garage... clearly hunting mice. I hear them trilling at night but rarely get to see them in action as they are so well camouflaged in the trees.
Not mine but it looked like this (That wingspan was about 12-16 inches across guestimate) :
View attachment 325578
The Vauen:
View attachment 325579
That was a once in a lifetime shot, bravo!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Part way through this bowl of year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Just fed Sleepy Suzy and Molly Danger. For the first time since we had brought Sam the Scamp and her scampers in the house (March 20), Molly actually came out of the bed room. She wouldn't come in to the den, but she was out in the hall near the bed room door crying for food. That's the first sign of progress I have seen from her.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg