PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
That pipe has some wicked grain!
Ashton really does a spectacular job with their grain and blast. They have become one of my favorite brands.
I now have several stacks, Dublin's and billiards. Each one has impressed me every time I purchase one and every time I fire it up even more. To me they age really well, develop uniform cake quickly, don't heat up and taste better every smoke. To me thats receiving a lot without expecting as much as they are giving me back. Seeing your posts makes me realize that there Are obviously some old school pipes like your Parkers that I need to explore and try out. I always enjoy your sharing of such iconic pipes.
Thank you for the kinds words about my pipe collection. I greatly recommend Parkers, especially the patent years which lasted to the mid-1950s. They are great throughout the 1960s as well. And they are cheaper than patent Dunhills (who made Parker pipes), and you don't lose anything in regard to smoking quality.

I agree with you on my Ashton. It's even better than what you state because of the circumstances regarding how I got it, which is too long to type. Catch me on the phone some time, and I'll tell why it's a precious pipe to me.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I was looking at this blend from Ken, I have smoked quite a few blends of his stuff, he really makes some good blends.

Have you smoked Anne Capp? Been trying to get another blend from Ken that has quite a bit of Cavendish going on, and I noticed black cavendish is in Samsun & Delilah.

The 2023 Samsun & Delilah is also suppose to have Cocoa, Chocolate, Vanilla casing/topping, I’m not really a fan of these notes, are they quite noticeable?

What would you say is the overall flavors you get?

Thanks
I've not tried Anne Capp. I don't keep super up to date on KBV releases like some do. Occasionally I'll log on and see what's in stock. More often than not I've enjoyed what I've tried.

I'm not sure which iteration of Samsun/Delilah I have. I bought it and the Oriental Affair(similar but without the cavendish and much less topping) at the same time.

Mcclelland Honeydew was a staple for me for a few years. I'd describe it as a very "round sweetness". Hard to pinpoint exactly what it is. Sometimes it seems almost coconut, natural melon, light honey. I always thought it meshed well with the Mcclelland Virginia flavor.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Hmm, what sort of problems are you encountering with VA/VaPers? 🤔

Granted, any pipe at any price range might do better with some blends over others.
Burns a little too hot. Just my cadence. In my opinion, the Va/Pers need a smaller bowl / draft hole to make smoking it slowly more natural. I know this is individual, but in my hands, this pipe wasn't working for me, so I changed the type of tobacco. I love the pipe even more now.

Status
Not open for further replies.