PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
My fist pipe since the birth of our baby girl this January. It’s a classic, the Classic Flake by MB in a beautiful silver band Peterson Deluxe 20s! Complementing my pipe is John Coltrane and his Prestige Records on the HiFi system.

Now that we have a daughter, the wife is less forgiving. Smoking is prohibited. I can’t blame her and I definitely don’t want to do it around our daughter. So the late evenings have become my preferred smoking moment when both of them are sleeping. Hopefully the smoke has cleared by tomorrow morning…

View attachment 202092
Congrats, DAD!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, rainbow trout, and snow peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I've a third of a bowl left of year 2014 Full Virginia Flake in a straight 1968 Dunhill Shell bulldog with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Dunhill_1968Bulldog.jpg

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Just loading up a bowl of SPC Galloping Gertie. Really enjoying getting to know this blend; seems like I'm on a Vaper kick even though it's a cold winter. I love English blends, and my cellar is full of them, but I somehow keep gravitating to the VaPers and Virginias. Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake/Navy Flake, Peterson Navy Rolls, Escudo, Elizabethan Mixture, and many, MANY others seem to be where I'm at right now. Anyway, I'm smoking ol' Gertie in my Birinci Eagle Claw Meer.

Tart Cherry concentrate, water and bergs is my drink.

20210811-105432.jpg

20210811-105445.jpg

Weather for Nerds/Pilots/Geeks
130253Z AUTO 19003KT 10SM CLR 00/M04 A2974 RMK AO2

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
10:00pm Sunday Night, still playing Mad Blendologist; and, continuing to "work" out of the 8 Panel Yello-Bole Standard, which is my Dedicated Experimental Pipe - made of indestructible Brylon.
02_12_2023_Yello_Bole_Standard_8_Panel.jpg

I've adjusted today's experimental mixture and brought the "contributions" of the Lane Ltd BCA way, way, way, down, by splitting it's original quantity in half with Super-Value Vanilla - added together, still equaling 2 parts of the whole mixture.

02_12_2023_Mix_2_UnBlended.jpg
Adjusted 2nd Mixture: 2 parts Natural American Spirit Perique, 1 part Lane Ltd. BCA, 1 part Super-Value Vanilla, and 1 part 5 Brothers.

02_12_2023_Mixture_2_Blended.jpg
Blended Mixture, Version #2

This is a marked improvement over Version 1 from earlier today. Reducing the BCA was essential, and the Super-Value Vanilla worked wonderfully to reduce the flavoring effects of the BCA to the correct level to my palate, while keeping the volume of cooler burning material in balance to that of the hotter burning tabaks.

While I am quite satisfied with the taste - and most importantly to me - the highly increased nicotine level, I am still highly-suspicious that Cube Cut White Burley is the correct ingredient to use; and not, the Super-Value Vanilla - though it did do the job.

Unfortunately, when I went to my inventory of blending tabaks, I discovered was completely out of cube cut white burley; hence, going with the S.V. Vanilla experiment instead.

Since I haven't smoked BCA in years, I was astounded to recall the amount of goop it left in the bottom of the bowl - I had forgotten about this! Thankfully, the Super-Value Vanilla is not the same level of "offender" as the Lane product; so there is a plus.

One thing to note: To get the most even physical distribution of ingredients, it is important to use tabaks which have similar or at least compatible cut profiles. If you use what's at hand - as I did - you will find that it is difficult to get even distribution of ingredients when your 5 Brothers is ultra-light shag, your Perique is super-fine cut, and your bulk Cavendish material is crinkle ribbon cut.

What happens is, the super-fine cut wants to migrate to the bottom of the mix, the light shag wants to float to the top, although the ribbon cuts and course cuts merge with each other nicely; but, try to take up the middle - which is NOT the best quality "blending".

On a positive note: Once you have the flavor and performance, where you like it, you can always order more compatible cuts and refine the "blend-ability" of you experimental mixture; however, because you have made a change, you might experience a change under smoking conditions.

For me, tomorrow, I'm going to order some "proper" Perique - and, in a heftier cut - Cube Cut White Burley, and continue to work with this current iteration of my 'High Nicotine Codger House Blend' - Sherm Natman

Status
Not open for further replies.