PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
May I ask?
JB Weld is an epoxy glue, isn't it? Don't you mind putting it in the bowl, I mean with the high temperature that rises in there?
Thanks.
I read about this in a few different threads
The JB Weld layer was covered with 2 applications of pipe mud - the 1st application allowed to dry for a few days before applying the 2nd

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018
Athens, Greece
I read about this in a few different threads
The JB Weld layer was covered with 2 applications of pipe mud - the 1st application allowed to dry for a few days before applying the 2nd
Yes, I thought so. But then again, pipe mud is -I think- a porous material. To be honest, I wouldn't do it, but it's your call - your pipe. And a really elegant one! Enjoy and thanks for the reply. I hope I didn't spoil anything...

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Yes, I thought so. But then again, pipe mud is -I think- a porous material. To be honest, I wouldn't do it, but it's your call - your pipe. And a really elegant one! Enjoy and thanks for the reply. I hope I didn't spoil anything...
I agree. I wouldn’t use any epoxy inside the chamber of a pipe either. To much chemistry to my taste. My choice would’ve been the Plaster of Paris, activated charcoal, salt mixture.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Nearing the half way mark on this bowl of Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. That'll do it for me today.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I was so shocked when it happened. My wife keeps saying "We'll fix it, we'll fix it". I have some ideas as to how to repair the break, but we'll see if it works. I've repaired briar pipes that have had chunks taken out of the bowl, but have not worked on meerschaums yet. Its a challenge I'll have to take on.

Very sad to see. Were you holding it by the shank or the base of the stummel? I wonder if repeated rapping weakened a natural fault line. The break point would be the fulcrum if holding below that.

While I do have a cork set up in my ashtray, I try to avoid tapping my pipes most of the time to avoid any rim damage, especially my Meerschaums. When my friend John was visiting last weekend, I was surprised by how roughly and hard he tapped on the cork with his pipe.

I suspect there is enough rough surface that G/flex 655 epoxy might hold well. A wet wax like Paragon should probably be carefully applied to the outer smooth surface of the Meerschaum on all sides to prevent the epoxy from sticking to the finished surface of the pipe. But, check with a pro. A pipe like that deserves special care. Good luck!

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Very sad to see. Were you holding it by the shank or the base of the stummel? I wonder if repeated rapping weakened a natural fault line. The break point would be the fulcrum if holding below that.

While I do have a cork set up in my ashtray, I try to avoid tapping my pipes most of the time to avoid any rim damage, especially my Meerschaums. When my friend John was visiting last weekend, I was surprised by how roughly and hard he tapped on the cork with his pipe.

I suspect there is enough rough surface that G/flex 655 epoxy might hold well. A wet wax like Paragon should probably be carefully applied to the outer smooth surface of the Meerschaum on all sides to prevent the epoxy from sticking to the finished surface of the pipe. But, check with a pro. A pipe like that deserves special care. Good luck!
I always hold my pipes by the stummel and tap them in the palm of my hand, even the briars. Most of the time I still get some scraps out when I clean them so I'm pretty easy on them. My wife even commented that I barely tapped it. I think it must have been a fault, as you suggested, and it would have given way at some point. I'll continue to look into repair techniques before I attempt it. Thanks for your commiseration.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Onto my 2nd bowl

Paterson's Elizabethan Mixture
In a French W.H.C. (In an oval) straight bulldog with a horn saddle stem.Birmingham hallmarked 1898.

The stem was in original condition but the chamber was over-reamed with a thin floor.
I applied a coating of JB Weld followed by a couple of thin layers of pipe mud.
It's one of my favourite "oldies" - featherweight and easily clenchable because of its size

View attachment 203750View attachment 203752
I would think waterglass (sodium silicate) would be a safer choice than epoxy given the chamber temperatures achieved during smoking. It might be hard to redo, but, worth the effort. You might be able to carefully grind out the epoxy with a Dremel on a flexible shaft.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Status
Not open for further replies.