Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Did a second set of walking reps, and am close to finishing this bowl of year 2017 Velvet in a straight smooth medium brown post-1940s Comoy’s Tradition 110B billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. A couple of young fellas were throwing a football to each other, and I asked if they'd let me. They kind of chuckled at the idea, especially when I told them that I hadn't throw one in over forty years. So they gave me the football, and I made three throws to make them run their tails off. I was the one laughing after that, and they just looked astonished to see a man my age catch and throw that far with a pipe in his mouth. :) I DVR'd the Braves-Giants game so I could see the rest of it although it certainly looks like the Braves won't come back and win.
Comoy’s_Tradition110B billiard.jpg

das3353

Lifer
Sep 7, 2019
2020 Brunello in a Genod Bulldog

53277098967_5eac5d8e5b_k.jpg

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I've been absent for a few weeks, maybe a month, but I'm back and working on a new tobacco related project! At this point my cellar has reached just shy of 100 blends and I'd really like to thin it down to just the ones I enjoy the most, so I decided to make a two year project out of it and every Sunday pick a blend in my cellar and smoke that blend every day for a week. If I'm not sick of it and am still enjoying smoking it after a week then it's a keeper, and if not then it goes in the sell/giveaway box.

Thus far the only blends I've determined to be definite keepers are Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices and Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia, and I am allowing myself to smoke verified keepers for my second or third bowl of the day after having the blend of the week. After a couple weeks of fairly unadulterated straight Virginias, this week I'm mixing it up a bit and smoking Peterson Royal Yacht.

20240629000219_IMG_6107~2.JPG

I'm on day 5 of smoking Royal Yacht at this point and still enjoying it quite a bit! The flavor is something along the lines of "blueberry muffin + black coffee" with a lot of red Virginia and a bit of dark fired Virginia earthiness underneath, and it often reminds me of Escudo as well with the way the Virginias and plum topping play around to create a very VaPer-like flavor profile. In short, it's really good! The stout nicotine content and surprising smoothness considering the strength is quite appreciated as well.puffy

Last edited:

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
When I was in Columbus, I met a wonderful man named Cem Eren. He sells hand carved Turkish meerschaum. He moved here from Turkey in 2011 and grew up in the local shop that made these pipes. After a wonderful conversation I wanted to own a pipe that I could smoke and remember our conversation. Tonight I’m breaking in that pipe with some Three Nuns and a glass of bourbon. image.jpg

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Photo on 8-15-24 at 5.12 PM.jpgFirst Generation Three Star Lee Apple with a Hugh bowl. I purchased this pipe from Europe of all places. I only have two Lees that I keep in rotation. This is one of them. The other three - unremarkable pipes as are most Lees - are kept in my river home along the Colorado River in Nevada. A Lee is a mediocre pipe with a better than mediocre smoke. There selling point, that is if they have one, is that they are well made and consistently reliable for a good smoke. The two I keep in my main home are outliers. They are great smokes and hold a lot of tobacco. There is nothing wrong with a Lee. It just isn't all that one particular person might want you to believe. I do agree that they can be a decent pipe to have in one's collection, especially if they are interested in Americana.

Status
Not open for further replies.