PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Amazing! Can you tell us more about it? What kind of blend is it? And how did you acquire it?
It’s very much like a codger VaBur actually, due to the age I can’t detect any top note on it but there’s still plenty of flavour. You’d never think it was 75+ years old.
A friend acquired a few tins at auction and very kindly gave one to me.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Afternoon everyone, I’m smoking a very old blend specially made for the Royal Navy in World War ll, believe it or not there was virtually no rust on the interior of the tin when I opened it with the cutter top and although the tobacco had dried out it wasn’t past saving and rehydrated with ease. I’m having this blend in a James Upshall Dublin. View attachment 243266View attachment 243267
Any clue as to who made it?
I’ve heard player’s did a few blends for the NAAFFI stores, but I had a 70’s tin of the RN mixture & I’d swear bind mine was Gallahers.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@simong: I've had quite a few NAAFFI stores tins over the years and apart from Players I always thought Gallaghers were the culprits who supplied HM Land Forces. It probably says who made it on the pressed tin lid. The other producer was WD & HO Wills but they were usually cigarettes as I have come across loads of those 50 cigs tins of Woodbines with the NAAFFI stamp on them over the years. Strangely cutter top tins of cigarettes tend not to do very well over time and come out of the tin this sort of mahogany color.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Just thought I would pop my head in the door and see how everyone is doing this afternoon. I have just finished my lunch of some crisp bread and sparkling water making this day four of my alcohol free week. My next smoke of the day will be a 40 minute bowl of Warrior Plug in this late 19th century meerschaum 'cutty' pipe. For those of you who have followed this pipes progress through the pandemic and beyond you will note that we are half way down the shank with the 'color thing' so I suppose my threats to send the pipe to @Chasing Embers were taken to heart as the pipe gave in and started its slow journey to my usual shade of 'shit brown' color. Hey ho only another 300 more smokes to go till I hit turd heaven! Enjoy your afternoon and I will drop by after work to join you all for a bowl of something or other!

thumbnail-4.jpeg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Any clue as to who made it?
I’ve heard player’s did a few blends for the NAAFFI stores, but I had a 70’s tin of the RN mixture & I’d swear bind mine was Gallahers.
I’m not sure, it’s just marked as pipe tobacco, there was so many producers back then I suppose it could be any of them but could also be a US import labeled for the RN as rationing was in full effect.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Well. Definitely an old piece, and that blast was wicked deep, which couldn't be helping its structural integrity.

Back when I first acquired the pipe I was cleaning it up and dropped the stummel. A section. Surrounding the mortise chipped off. Luckily it was one piece and a clean break so I was able to epoxy it back together with little issue.
Flash forward a couple years.. I was puffing along reading a book and suddenly I felt a slight pop. It finally gave way...
Silver band time?

PipeWI

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2023
Somerset WI
-don’t use a bic lighter without practice to raise tooth marks/tighten tenon
-don’t screw up (round off) sharp corner at stem/stummel sanding off ocidation
-oxiclean soak may be your friend, but may not be either.
-look close for any defects or cracks prior to manhandling pipe and making hidden problems worse.
-do not try to freehand file a stem/tenon square (without a lot of practice and patience), it will never be square again…

-always start learning on cheap or replaceable pipes before mucking up what would be a great piece.
Brilliant! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.