PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
In the hospital since Saturday, hence, I have not been smoking at all. Honestly Doc😁. Should be discharged tomorrow. Looks like the roll-ups will have to go, but I will fight like heck to keep the pipes. Looking forward to being up way too early for Premier League footie this weekend.
I hope it’s nothing serious and you’re back to full health asap mate. Take care of yourself 🙏

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Well. Definitely an old piece, and that blast was wicked deep, which couldn't be helping its structural integrity.

Back when I first acquired the pipe I was cleaning it up and dropped the stummel. A section. Surrounding the mortise chipped off. Luckily it was one piece and a clean break so I was able to epoxy it back together with little issue.
Flash forward a couple years.. I was puffing along reading a book and suddenly I felt a slight pop. It finally gave way...
If it’s a good smoker and means a lot to you it should be pretty easy to repair with a band. I had a similar issue with a Barling that fixed up great.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
OGS in my Savinelli 313 Prince. It’s cooled off enough for my liking in Iowa.

IMG_1744.jpeg

As long as I take tiny sips (trying to imagine just sipping out the smoke that has accumulated in the pipe from the tobacco smoldering on its own), I’m rewarded with a light sweetness and pleasant flavor pretty consistently. Who knows, maybe this will be the blend to teach me how to smoke Virginias properly. 😁

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
In the hospital since Saturday, hence, I have not been smoking at all. Honestly Doc😁. Should be discharged tomorrow. Looks like the roll-ups will have to go, but I will fight like heck to keep the pipes. Looking forward to being up way too early for Premier League footie this weekend.
Yikes, hope you’re back to full power soon!

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Afternoon everyone, I’m smoking a very old blend specially made for the Royal Navy in World War ll, believe it or not there was virtually no rust on the interior of the tin when I opened it with the cutter top and although the tobacco had dried out it wasn’t past saving and rehydrated with ease. I’m having this blend in a James Upshall Dublin. image.jpgimage.jpg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Afternoon everyone, I’m smoking a very old blend specially made for the Royal Navy in World War ll, believe it or not there was virtually no rust on the interior of the tin when I opened it with the cutter top and although the tobacco had dried out it wasn’t past saving and rehydrated with ease. I’m having this blend in a James Upshall Dublin. View attachment 243266View attachment 243267
Amazing! Can you tell us more about it? What kind of blend is it? And how did you acquire it?

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Can you summarize your lessons for those of us thinking of experimenting??
-don’t use a bic lighter without practice to raise tooth marks/tighten tenon
-don’t screw up (round off) sharp corner at stem/stummel sanding off ocidation
-oxiclean soak may be your friend, but may not be either.
-look close for any defects or cracks prior to manhandling pipe and making hidden problems worse.
-do not try to freehand file a stem/tenon square (without a lot of practice and patience), it will never be square again…

-always start learning on cheap or replaceable pipes before mucking up what would be a great piece.

Last edited:

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
Afternoon everyone, I’m smoking a very old blend specially made for the Royal Navy in World War ll, believe it or not there was virtually no rust on the interior of the tin when I opened it with the cutter top and although the tobacco had dried out it wasn’t past saving and rehydrated with ease. I’m having this blend in a James Upshall Dublin. View attachment 243266View attachment 243267
This is soo cool. Keep us update on the tobacco with a quick review if you have time. Id love to know how it smokes.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Tobacco rations! I wonder if they would do this in today’s world…

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Not far from finishing this bowl of early 2000s Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.