PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Right now, "Forgotten God" by Francis Chan. The next few will likely include "The Problem of Pain" by C.S. Lewis and "Down and Out In Paris and London" by George Orwell

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
http://www.amazon.com/Devil-White-City-Madness-Changed/dp/0375725601
Amazing story of the Chicago "World's Fair" and a mastermind serial killer.
All of which, as it happens, is completely true.
Amazing.

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
I started reading Grapes of Wrath last week for about the 10th time and decided to hit the bookstore this afternoon to see what other Steinbeck books they had. I picked up East of Eden and haven't been able to put it down since I started it, but now I need a refill on the scotch and try to decide what I'm going to smoke :)

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
@ anthonyrosenthal When he first got sick he had posted that all his notes and HDDs were to be destroyed so nobody could finish it if he didn't get better. Later his wife Harriet McDougal, who edited his books, read some of Brandon Sanderson work and commented that it was darker than Jordan's style but would be a good fit. TOR books really had no choice but to agree. Jordan worked on the book really to the end with Sanderson. All the notes and outline had been finished, it was just the matter of filling in the details. I personally think Rigney would be pissed off that it got split into three books. That IMO was just greed on TOR's part and I'm kinda pissed that Harriet went along with it. She didn't need the money, and she knew he wouldn't have appoved of it. BUT it's done now and what a series it is!

If you got the time, it's got the mind expanding concept of fantasy.

Craig

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Im reading White feather:Carlos Hathcock USMC scout sniper. What a read. If you havent read this book i would highly recommend it. I feel like im actually crawling thru the jungle with him. Gives me shivers

Jan 8, 2013
@dragonslayer I definitely have time. I always make sure I get a bit of reading in before I hit the sack at night, and sometimes during the day. I love the series so far, and I'm sure I'll love the rest. I'll be finished with book 5 soon.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
@anthonyrosenthal Cool, get ready for Lord of Chaos, Rand is on the move, it really will test your mind on who the hell everyone is, and what they've done. I had to go back and check on some things in the earlier books to figure out what the hell he was writing about. lols

Craig

Jul 15, 2011
A few weeks ago I finished "The Devils of Loudon" by Aldous Huxley which was a fascinating read. Then tonight I finished up "Stranger in a Strange Land" for the first time since High School which I think was a great read despite its criticisms over the years. Heinlein really brought forth a lot of interesting ideas in that book and I am very fond of the story. Next I think Im gonna tackle "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Currently I'm rereading Peter Chapsticks books. "Death in the Long grass", "Death in the Dark Continent", "Death in the silent places","Death in the Lonely Places" and "The man eaters of Tsovo". If your like hunting or Big game hunting check these out the guy was a way with words that almost lets yo taste the dust and smell the sweat.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I remember reading Capstick in Outdoor Life! The line I'll always remember was "...cartridges as big as asparagus."
Some really great stuff up there, especially Devil in the White City and World War Z. I'm going to hunt down The Earth Abides.
@Brad - I just heard the story behind Higher Calling last year. I will definitely find that one!
Oh - and I am currently reading James Robertson's masterful Stonewall Jackson.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
@cynyr I love the Cape Buffalo story.
"He is a living arsenal of weaponry for use against jerkwater hunters or preoccupied Africans, offering a Chinese menu choice on you shortcut to Glory of horns that can disembowel a locomotive, hooves like split mattock-heads, and up to a ton of bulk that can roll you into a fair resemblance of shaggy tollhouse cookie mix. What's more, if you cross him and get caught, he will display a singular lack of reluctance, regardless of race, color, or creed, to give you a nice, home demonstration of his talents. "

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
Just finished the 11th book of The Wheel of Time" series. Probably will start the next one this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.