PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
@frtimmyd I hope you’ve read the Silmarillion, it’s the bible of LOTR series.
Currently reading for fun a book series I read 20 years ago, Dragon Riders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey.
Good reads if you’re looking are Dune by Frank Herbert, Lord of the Flies by William Golding, Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein, 1984 by George Orwell and LOTR obviously.
Being a screenwriter I spend a good bit of each day reading, usually 1-3, 90-130 page scripts. They are from every genre, range from good to bad (mostly) and change through different drafts. In the last week I read about 20 of the movies up for Oscars. It’s a big part of the job, reading others scripts to learn, help someone else with their script, writing critiques and reviews. The most fun is seeing a movie from a script you read about 2 years before is, and seeing all the changes made on the set and the editing room. When you’re reading you always picture who would be playing a part, then get blown away when you see who plays the part.
Good examples:

Flight - never in a million years saw Denzel Washington playing the part. I can’t believe he even took the role, in the end it hurt a good movie. Why? Because it wasn’t “Training Day” or “Safe House” and that’s what people expect for him now.
Django - QT can and does anything he wants. He breaks all the rules of writing and filming. Scripts should be 100-120 pages but Django is 170 pages and its loaded pages, packed with description and dialogue. Then he makes huge changes as he films and edits it, in the end its signature Tarantino. Nobody writes like him, or makes a film like him.
Prometheus – Originally written as Alien Engineers. Great read, and totally bombed at the box office. They made massive changes and destroyed the movie. The proverbial “The book is better than the movie”.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
75% of the way through the third book in George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire: A Storm of Swords.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
The Pipe, by Georges Herment.

Gifted to me by a fellow member
"A serious yet diverting treatise on the history of the pipe and all it's appurtenances, as well as a factual withal philosophical discussion of the pleasurable art of selecting pipes, smoking and caring for them."

misterzombie

Lurker
Dec 30, 2012
World War Z. It is pretty good and I'm almost done. Not really a horror novel and much more a war documentary. I'm curious as to how the movie will turn out.

cezario

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
"War Horse - A History of the Military Horse and Rider" by col. Louis A DiMarco ( Westholme , 2008).

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Just moved on the The Return of the King, been reading the trilogy over break. If I read a novel after this, it'll be Game of Thrones, but I'll be at school reading for classes so I may just stick to the Poe and Frost complete collections I got for Christmas.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
I was reading Ken Auletta's "Googled" but then had to put down pleasure reading and make my way through this,
35709_Texas_Instruments_TI-89_Ti-500x500_zps0d3c09e4.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
George R. Stewarts 1950 post-apocalyptic novel "The Earth Abides", which inspired Stephen Kings "The Stand". I can't believe this was written in 1950. If anyone wants a mobi copy for Kindle, PM me your email.

http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Abides-George-R-Stewart/dp/0345487133

earth_abides.gif

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
I'm currently in to White Night from Jim Butcher in his Dresden Files series.
Not at all surprised to be enjoying it.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I just started No Easy Day. It is the remarkable 1st person account of life on a US Navy SEAL team. Sometimes, we all need a small reminder of the strength and courage that created this Constitutional Republic, and the responsibilities that accompany life as an American.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Currently reading The Pacific by Hugh Ambrose, it is a lot different than the HOB series. Also reading book three of the Day by Day Armageddon series: Shattered Hourglass.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I'm currently rereading the "belgariad" series. It's my favourite fantasy work.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just started No Easy Day. It is the remarkable 1st person account of life on a US Navy SEAL team. Sometimes, we all need a small reminder of the strength and courage that created this Constitutional Republic, and the responsibilities that accompany life as an American.

My brother (ex-Ranger) just finished that and like it. I sent him a copy of "Argo". The author lives in our town. Both on deck in my Kindle.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
My second time reading "Attending Marvels: A Patagonian Journal" by George Gaylord Simpson. I lived in Argentina in the early 80's and this book - written in the 30's - reinforces my love/hate relationship I have with that country.
@Al: My HS English teacher wife loves the post- Apocalyptic genre and "The Earth Abides" has stayed with me for a long time.
@burghbriar: Hang in there with "Moby Dick." It took me three, maybe four tries to get beyond the dreaded 250 page mark and then the greatest American novel ever written sucked me in and I became an able bodied seaman on the Pequod. I'm so glad I never quit trying.
@Dragonslayer: I truly enjoy your screenwriting insight - please keep posting, friend-o.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
@fnord Thanks, I do tend to go on about things, occupational habit. I love talking about the things I read, many are SO good and will never see the screen and that’s a shame. The reason is very simple… For every Transformer six (or whatever) or sequels past one they put out, three great movies could be made.
@ anthonyrosenthal You are going to LOVE the books, all 10,000+ pages of the series. By book five Fires of Heaven (980 pages) it really takes off. Lord of Chaos the next one is amazing. Hope you’re reading the hardbacks, save those eyes. It’s a fantastic massively character book series, and if you missed something go back and re-read the part it will matter later. The absolute shame is he died before the last book, but is being finished from his notes and is spread over 3 books (greed), last is just released. I’ll be waiting for the E-book to finish the 14 book series this summer. He always said he knew the ending before he started on the 17 year project.
JUST IF YOU’RE INTERESTED:

Robert Jordan the pen name for James Oliver Rigney, Jr. was an avid pipe smoker, in later years became a PIPE COLLECTOR. I have no idea where they went, was smoking cigars at the time, I would have loved to get some of them IF ANYONE HAS SOME? He lived in Charleston, died in 2007 and is buried at ST. JAMES Cemetery. I’m trying to get ahold of her through forums and the church she is now working at – Now that I’m into pipes, which I blame you guys, was enjoying the tobacco NOW I got to start collecting pipes! A pathetic journey to own the best ones you could possibly have *sigh*. There is a documentary, The Wit of the Staircase: The Life and Work of Robert Jordan that was to be released in December, but is going straight to DVD so hopefully we’ll see it by spring, my number two writer behind Tolkien.
Wheel of Time is the best series of fantasy books other than LOTR, in some ways better, but that’s another conversation. But not unless you’re ready to spend a year+ reading them. He also has an unpublished 98000 page book series Warriors of the Altaii he wrote before WoT. He also wrote 8 or so Conan books. And even a Western!

So again I go on and on, smoking nothing but St. James tonight.

Craig

Jan 8, 2013
Dragonslayer, I actually quit reading his books thinking he would die before he ever finished them. Of course I wasn't serious but I said that a few times. I decided I would wait until the series was finished and read them then so I would not have to wait forever between books... I hate that. I was saddened when I heard of his death, and overjoyed to hear that Sanderson was to take over the story. From what I understand, he and Jordan went over the plans together while Jordan was on his death bed. I need to pick up his Conan books as well. I've been a Conan fan since childhood. Speaking of Conan, it turns out they are finally making that "but that is another story" movie, with Arnold as King Conan.

Status
Not open for further replies.